Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has one of the first $99 discounts on Apple's AirPods Max since February, available for $449.99 in four colors, down from $549.00. Most models can deliver as soon as May 18 with Prime delivery, and May 21 for regular shipping.

Airpods-Max-Discount-Feature-Warm-Green.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

On Amazon, colors being discounted include Space Gray, Sky Blue, Silver, and Pink. AirPods Max deals above $50 have been very rare in 2024, with this deal being just the second time we've tracked a $99 discount so far this year. This isn't quite the all-time low price seen on the headphones, but it's still a solid discount if you've been waiting for something more notable to come along for the high-end AirPods.

Apple is rumored to be updating the AirPods Max sometime in 2024, and the new models should be getting a USB-C port and new color options. There is only one other AirPods deal happening right now on Amazon: you can get the the AirPods 2 for $79.99 ($49 off).

Our full Deals Roundup has more information on the latest Apple-related sales and bargains.

Article Link: AirPods Max Get Rare $99 Discount on Amazon, Available for $449.99

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
These are getting long in the tooth. They are a great product, even now, BUT, these have just crossed that threshold of "no longer buy" for anyone that cares about having new generations in the earlier part of the lifecycle vs. previous generations toward the end.

We know that it's inevitable that they will be updated this year. USB-C and probably a lot of audio enhancements too.

And, fingers crossed, $449 new instead of $549. They need that 10th gen iPad treatment.

Queues

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
These are getting long in the tooth. They are a great product, even now, BUT, these have just crossed that threshold of "no longer buy" for anyone that cares about having new generations in the earlier part of the lifecycle vs. previous generations toward the end.

We know that it's inevitable that they will be updated this year. USB-C and probably a lot of audio enhancements too.

And, fingers crossed, $449 new instead of $549. They need that 10th gen iPad treatment.
I believe the rumor mill has it that this year's update of the Max will only offer a switch from lightning to USB-C, with no other substantive changes.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It’s legitimately shocking how drastically over priced AirPods Max are. The quality of the sound they produce doesn’t warrant it. As far as the ANC goes, other companies have wireless sets that can match it now too. If you know anything about the headphone market you know that these are priced easily twice what they should be.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
I believe the rumor mill has it that this year's update of the Max will only offer a switch from lightning to USB-C, with no other substantive changes.
oh wow, that's surprising, I would thing they would get the H2 chips for sure, and I would think some basic overall improvements, maybe Apple has some surprises in store?

I will say, if there was a product to get no change besides the change to USB-C, it would be these. Perhaps that will bring a price cut along with the change?

We shall see...

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Might be worth waiting for the new version at this point? I have been considering these but decided to wait to see what happens.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
It’s legitimately shocking how drastically over priced AirPods Max are. The quality of the sound they produce doesn’t warrant it. As far as the ANC goes, other companies have wireless sets that can match it now too. If you know anything about the headphone market you know that these are priced easily twice what they should be.

Agreed
And I say that as someone who enjoys mine

The main reason I still have them is because the band on top "floats" the weight in a way no other OverEars have ever done for me ... and ... the integration.

For swapping between nighttime ATV viewing and other Apple devices, the integration and ease of connecting/swapping around can't be beat.

Would I buy them again?

Probably not ... but ... already have them and they are lightning which matches all my charging stuff around the house so it's easy to just keep them and enjoy them.

I even had AC+ for them .. which has now also expired, so I'll just "ride until they die" at this point

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
oh wow, that's surprising, I would thing they would get the H2 chips for sure, and I would think some basic overall improvements, maybe Apple has some surprises in store?

I will say, if there was a product to get no change besides the change to USB-C, it would be these. Perhaps that will bring a price cut along with the change?

We shall see...

If Apple was serious about the audio quality they produce they’d develop a better transducer and housing for it. Instead they insist on using cheap drivers and boring housings to (presumably) save money and then attempt to “fix” the shortcomings of the hardware with software manipulation. Exactly like they do with iPhone’s cameras. Only in the case of AirPods Max there’s no real reason to approach it like that. Apple could fit any number of superior drivers in them and tune those drivers physically (like every other headphone maker) but that would cut into their profit margin.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
Yesterday I predicted that Lightning devices will be discounted at Apple resellers, to deplete old stock. Looks like that's what's happening.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Paid $429 for mine during the Black Friday period. I love them and use them a lot - just not for travel because they don't fold up nicely and somehow the cups break their seal when I lean back in an airplane seat and ruin the noise canceling effect. Oh, and lightning. I have a set of Sony XM's for when I get on a plane.

In terms of why I love them - sure they are pricey, but they are also excellent. I'm no Audiophile, but the spatial sounds crisp to my ears and the sound is always really well balanced no matter what the music genre. Transparency is the best feature because it literally sounds like no headphones. It's miles ahead of my Sony XM's.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I really hope these discounts mean that a new model is coming soon. 🤞
Discounts on the Max have been plentiful for a long time now, I think it's more a case of Apple overestimating demand and having to clear inventory more than anything else. And if that's the case, then they may not feel inclined to do a v2.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Discounts on the Max have been plentiful for a long time now, I think it's more a case of Apple overestimating demand and having to clear inventory more than anything else. And if that's the case, then they may not feel inclined to do a v2.

Yeah, I'm 30/70 on whether Apple will even bother with another APM version

I don't think it's been a success that they'll consider worth the hassle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.