Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Yep, the Sonys are the best at noise cancellation tech. By far. I have the WH1000XM4. They're lighter, more comfortable, comparable sound quality with the Airpods Max. They also have audio and USB-C jacks, airplane plug adapter, and they fold flat, and the cups fold up to fit into the included case. Did I forget to mention they're well over $100 cheaper? Only two colors, though. And the app is an Android port.

I didn't mean to imply that the XM's had better noise canceling than AirPods Max - I find Apple's noise canceling to be superior. I just can't travel with them because Apple uses very stiff foam cups and a rigid metal band, vs. the Sony's pleather cups and flexible plastic band. The AirPods Max are is great when sitting at a desk, but when I'm on a long flight, I tend to lean back and the stiffness of Apple's foam is less compliant and tend to break the seal around the cups.

Reactions: ignatius345

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
I didn't mean to imply that the XM's had better noise canceling than AirPods Max - I find Apple's noise canceling to be superior. I just can't travel with them because Apple uses very stiff foam cups and a rigid metal band, vs. the Sony's pleather cups and flexible plastic band. The AirPods Max are is great when sitting at a desk, but when I'm on a long flight, I tend to lean back and the stiffness of Apple's foam is less compliant and tend to break the seal around the cups.
I tried them both before buying, and I guess our hearing levels are different, because I found the Sonys better at noise cancelling. True, I didn't go through the optimization with the Max.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I tried them both before buying, and I guess our hearing levels are different, because I found the Sonys better at noise cancelling. True, I didn't go through the optimization with the Max.

In general Sony has excellent noise canceling in their wireless phones. They’re very competitive with AirPods Max in that respect. But where Sony absolutely blows Apple away is in the ONE THING good headphones are supposed to do: render accurate and detailed audio. Instead Apple installs cheap drivers in plastic housings and uses software to try and make it sound “better” or at least different from other phones. The quality of audio produced by any of the AirPods line is not Apple’s priority.

bovlb

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024

Amazon today has one of the first $99 discounts on Apple's AirPods Max since February, available for $449.99 in four colors, down from $549.00. Most models can deliver as soon as May 18 with Prime delivery, and May 21 for regular shipping.

Airpods-Max-Discount-Feature-Warm-Green.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

On Amazon, colors being discounted include Space Gray, Sky Blue, Silver, and Pink. AirPods Max deals above $50 have been very rare in 2024, with this deal being just the second time we've tracked a $99 discount so far this year. This isn't quite the all-time low price seen on the headphones, but it's still a solid discount if you've been waiting for something more notable to come along for the high-end AirPods.

Apple is rumored to be updating the AirPods Max sometime in 2024, and the new models should be getting a USB-C port and new color options. There is only one other AirPods deal happening right now on Amazon: you can get the the AirPods 2 for $79.99 ($49 off).

Our full Deals Roundup has more information on the latest Apple-related sales and bargains.

Article Link: AirPods Max Get Rare $99 Discount on Amazon, Available for $449.99
These headphones literally annoy everyone in my house!
These headphones have a serious design flaw that they'll disconnect from the device you paired them with and instead connect to nearby devices. One moment I'm watching a video at my desk, the next I'm listening to my wife's iPhone or my son's iPad. None of these devices have been paired with the headphones, and they're all set not to connect automatically. The Genius Bar can't fix them. Apple Care can't fix them. Apple even sent me a replacement pair but they have the same problem.
After an initial period of never having heard of this problem, Apple now say that it's a known issue that they hope to fix some day. I say save your money and buy headphones that actually work.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
These headphones literally annoy everyone in my house!
These headphones have a serious design flaw that they'll disconnect from the device you paired them with and instead connect to nearby devices. One moment I'm watching a video at my desk, the next I'm listening to my wife's iPhone or my son's iPad. None of these devices have been paired with the headphones, and they're all set not to connect automatically. The Genius Bar can't fix them. Apple Care can't fix them. Apple even sent me a replacement pair but they have the same problem.
After an initial period of never having heard of this problem, Apple now say that it's a known issue that they hope to fix some day. I say save your money and buy headphones that actually work.

Edit: never mind. You’re on it.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I’m listening to the Hifiman Edition XS right now via a FiiO BTR 7 and a Sennheiser AptX HD adapter on my iPhone. They’re so much better sounding than AirPods Pro that they’re not even in the same league.

I have no doubt that these are great, audiophile-quality headphones that sound amazing. But you're comparing helicopters with submarines! Passive corded headphones are a completely different product category to portable, wireless, noise-cancelling headphones.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I have no doubt that these are great, audiophile-quality headphones that sound amazing. But you're comparing helicopters with submarines! Passive corded headphones are a completely different product category to portable, wireless, noise-cancelling headphones.

In the respect I’m talking about they are the same. Transducers for listening to music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.