Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balnazzar

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2023
I'm not understanding. Some people say that the Belkin and the WJESOG cable work with the studio display (5K@60) but the user above reports that it just manages to get 4K on the LG display...

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I'm not understanding. Some people say that the Belkin and the WJESOG cable work with the studio display (5K@60) but the user above reports that it just manages to get 4K on the LG display...
The poster was using a "custom built PC" and not a Mac Pro 7,1 per this original thread discussion.

Reactions: balnazzar

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The Studio Display gets 5K60 using DSC.

The LG does not support DSC. It requires two separate DisplayPort connections over Thunderbolt to get 5K60. With a DisplayPort connection, you may be able to get 5K39 by creating a custom timing.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
That means (correct me if necessary) that the Studio will work with any "4K@60Hz" DP --> USB-C cable, right?
Yes. If your GPU supports DSC then a 4K60 capable cable (HBR2) should be able to do 5K60 on the Apple Studio Display or 6K60 on the Apple Pro Display XDR. It should also work with the Dell 6K60 display but I'm not sure (you have to verify that it will negotiate a HBR2 link rate instead of a HBR3 link rate since the cable might not like HBR3).

• Love
Reactions: balnazzar

kevorgod

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2023
Can anyone tell me if the 3 usb-c ports will work on a windows machine with this cable? Thanks a lot.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^^I've been using mine for eight months now - LUV it👍🏻

Lou

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^No, the USB ports on the back of my monitor are enabled, so Yes it powers the monitor as a hub👍🏻

Lou

meniscus-

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
^^^^No, the USB ports on the back of my monitor are enabled, so Yes it powers the monitor as a hub👍🏻

Lou
To confirm, you mean that you can plug in peripherals to the monitor and it will work on your computer when using this cable?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
^^^Yes - 👍🏻

Cables.jpg

Lou

Reactions: meniscus-

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Looks like there’s also this Level1Tech USB-c Combiner for a more pro solution if the Belkin cable approach doesn’t work

Stairway

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
So would using the cable that the OP posted about, allow using a Studio Display where the rear ports, mic, camera and speaker would all function?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
So would using the cable that the OP posted about, allow using a Studio Display where the rear ports, mic, camera and speaker would all function?
Probably. The GPU needs to support DSC to get 5K60. The USB ports will be limited to USB 2.0 speed, same for mic, camera, audio.

Last edited:

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
This is probably a dumb question, but would a bi-direcitonal DP-to-USB C work for video, and then for audio/mic/camera, a separate USB-C cable could go from one of the Studio's USB-C ports to a connection on the system?

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
This is probably a dumb question, but would a bi-direcitonal DP-to-USB C work for video, and then for audio/mic/camera, a separate USB-C cable could go from one of the Studio's USB-C ports to a connection on the system?
Not to my knowledge with the XDR display as you'll need to connect a Thunderbolt into the main display to enable te other USB-C ports. Might be different for the Studio Display.

Stairway

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
I purchased the cable that the OP listed, and tested it with my RTX 4090 connected to a Studio Display. The camera, speakers, mic, and rear USB ports are all working (though I have not tested the USB port speeds). Also, the display comes up in 5K 60Hz without issue. Lastly, I also get the BIOS boot/splash screen when powering up. Machine is on Windows 11 Pro for Workstations (21H2).

Last edited:
Reactions: flowrider

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
For anyone that is using this cable or the Belkin cable, does your Studio Display flash for 2-3 times when waking from sleep, before finally staying on?

Every time my system comes from sleep, whether display or system, the Studio Display will brief turn on then off a couple of times before finally staying on. I'm trying to figure out what's causing it, and especially want to make sure it won't damage the Studio Display.

freddiezzz

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2023
Maybe this would help someone:

I found a similar "fairikabe" cable on Amazon and it looks just the same as WJESOG, which is 10$ cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKG23KTK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

BUT!!! It does make the display and the USB work, however the monitor's audio output has so much noise that it's completely unusable. The camera also produces a lot of strange color blocks and sometimes the camera is not available at all. The monitor signal has been working fine.

And I tried WJESOG, it works just perfect.

maenpaa24

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2017
Hello, has anyone tried the HDMI to USB-C cable to connect an older pc/mac/whatever that has hdmi 1.4 to any of these displays with only usb-c input like the apple studio or the lg ultrafine? I have tried but can only get 720p when I should get 4k@30Hz. Thanks.

Last edited:

Erpler

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2022
Does anyone have a clue if there is an option to order the WJESOG for people from Europe? I suppose it wont be possible to order from taobao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.