Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CurtisBilly

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
I wanted to share my experience with the WJESOG Display Port to USB-C cable. My setup includes a Studio Display, 2019 Mac Pro and AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT.

Two findings:
1) The 1st WJESOG cable I received was defective. I ordered a replacement and it works well.
2) I run a short extension cable from the Studio Display 1.64 ft (0.5 m) extension cable. This makes it easy to swap between sources. Also I've found occasionally the Studio Display will not wake from sleep, but if I disconnect the WJESOG from the extension cable and reconnect it reliably will reconnect.

Here's the extension cable I use:

Edward G

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
I wanted to share my experience with the WJESOG Display Port to USB-C cable. My setup includes a Studio Display, 2019 Mac Pro and AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT.

Two findings:
1) The 1st WJESOG cable I received was defective. I ordered a replacement and it works well.
2) I run a short extension cable from the Studio Display 1.64 ft (0.5 m) extension cable. This makes it easy to swap between sources. Also I've found occasionally the Studio Display will not wake from sleep, but if I disconnect the WJESOG from the extension cable and reconnect it reliably will reconnect.

Here's the extension cable I use:
I was really looking for this message! I have exactly the same assembly (Mac pro 2019 and rx6900xt) I want to buy an apple studio display and my question is how well does it work with the cable from Belkin? Are there any nuances? Are the speakers and microphone working? Does the display control work (brightness or volume)?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^All your questions are answered in this thread. The answer is yes, everything works with either cable. I have owned both, and the Belkin is sitting unused in my closet.

Lou

Edward G

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
^^^^All your questions are answered in this thread. The answer is yes, everything works with either cable. I have owned both, and the Belkin is sitting unused in my closet.

Lou
I understand. But I was looking for someone with a similar build. I am not interested in windows or any other options) I read the entire thread and did not find answers to my questions, so I decided to clarify directly whether there are any nuances of use

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I have a Gigabyte RX6800XT in mine and again, yes, everything works as it should. No "nuances".

Lou

Reactions: Edward G

kurt_hectic

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Hi all, after years of lurking MR forums this thread inspired me to create an account to first say THANK YOU for the research and tips regarding this. I have been trying to find the cleanest/most efficient way to share peripherals between my PC tower and my Macbook M3 with the Apple Studio Display. I've been using the DP > Thunderbolt cable manufactured by Cable Matters to get video and nothing else, which I've been somewhat satisfied with until researching this.

If I'm not mistaken, this WJESOG enables the use of the 3 remaining USB-C ports on the backside of the Studio Display right? Asking because I'm trying to choose a docking station or hub that I can keep attached to the back of my studio display so everything gets moved between computers with the simple swap of the main TB connection.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, this WJESOG enables the use of the 3 remaining USB-C ports on the backside of the Studio Display right? Asking because I'm trying to choose a docking station or hub that I can keep attached to the back of my studio display so everything gets moved between computers with the simple swap of the main TB connection.
Yes, but just USB 2.0 speed (480 Mb/s). Good enough for mouse and keyboard. You need Thunderbolt connection for USB 3.x speeds (5 or 10 Gbps).

kurt_hectic

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Yes, but just USB 2.0 speed (480 Mb/s). Good enough for mouse and keyboard. You need Thunderbolt connection for USB 3.x speeds (5 or 10 Gbps).
I see, this is a helpful distinction, thank you! I think my plan then will be to invest in a basic KBM for just those 2 things and a hub/dock of some kind for everything else that can just be used for the Macbook side. Was looking into the Caldigit TS4 originally but that's now feeling like extreme overkill if it can't be fully accessed by USB 2.0 bandwidth on the PC.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I see, this is a helpful distinction, thank you! I think my plan then will be to invest in a basic KBM for just those 2 things and a hub/dock of some kind for everything else that can just be used for the Macbook side. Was looking into the Caldigit TS4 originally but that's now feeling like extreme overkill if it can't be fully accessed by USB 2.0 bandwidth on the PC.
Did you mean "can't be fully accessed by USB 3.x bandwidth on the PC"?

I said it should be able to use USB 2.0 bandwidth. Mouse and Keyboard probably only require USB 1.1 bandwidth. USB 2.0 bandwidth allows < 60 MB/s.

kurt_hectic

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Did you mean "can't be fully accessed by USB 3.x bandwidth on the PC"?

I said it should be able to use USB 2.0 bandwidth. Mouse and Keyboard probably only require USB 1.1 bandwidth. USB 2.0 bandwidth allows < 60 MB/s.
Ah, I see, so the monitor could power the mouse and keyboard. What I meant was for peripherals beyond those two things, I would probably just keep connected to the MBP via a dock or hub of some kind, since that would require USB-C (it's a litany of things including an audio interface and a Wacom Cintiq)

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I have my monitor USB ports powering a Blue Snowball microphone and a powered USB dock that powers my wireless Logitech mouse dongle and charges my Logitech mouse. The dock also provides power to external USB flash drives.

Lou

kurt_hectic

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Apologies if it veers off topic from the thread, Lou – but would you be able to tell me which dock you're using? And if you'd recommend it? I'm having a hell of a time choosing one.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
This one:

Lou

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Ah, I see, so the monitor could power the mouse and keyboard. What I meant was for peripherals beyond those two things, I would probably just keep connected to the MBP via a dock or hub of some kind, since that would require USB-C (it's a litany of things including an audio interface and a Wacom Cintiq)
Any USB device will work. It will just be limited to USB 2.0 speed < 60 MB/s.
USB 2.0 is good enough for input devices and audio and compressed video capture.
It's good enough for storage if you don't need more than 60 MB/s.

CurtisBilly

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
I was really looking for this message! I have exactly the same assembly (Mac pro 2019 and rx6900xt) I want to buy an apple studio display and my question is how well does it work with the cable from Belkin? Are there any nuances? Are the speakers and microphone working? Does the display control work (brightness or volume)?
It works quite well. Speakers, mic, brightness, volume all working well. Other than the occasional/intermittent wake from sleep annoyance that has always been solved by unplugging the Thunderbolt and replugging I am very happy.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
It works quite well. Speakers, mic, brightness, volume all working well. Other than the occasional/intermittent wake from sleep annoyance that has always been solved by unplugging the Thunderbolt and replugging I am very happy.

Try hitting the power button (where the eject key used to be) so it goes to screen saver then hit escape and displays should sleep.

CurtisBilly

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
Try hitting the power button (where the eject key used to be) so it goes to screen saver then hit escape and displays should sleep.
Thank you. I tried your suggestion but it doesn't work for me. The keyboard that came with my Mac Pro has an eject button, but it doesn't start the screen saver.

I did find that Ctrl-Cmd-Q will lock. And then ESC appears to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.