Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
That’s why the c”current situation “ is irrelevant. Bingo.
It is not irrelevant. It might not be indicative of a future scenario. A series of current situations make for a trend. That trend is an indication. This quarter, iPhone activations have dipped. That is a fact. If it dips in the next quarter also, it starts to form a trend. There is a chance that it will dip in the next quarter also, unless there are mitigating factors. Apple is aware and as soon as it sees a trend, it will try to author the mitigating factors. Like I said, it is not irrelevant. It might not be a cause for concern for Apple if it has enough resources that it can author the mitigating actions. If not, it will go the way of Nokia. It had a market share of 41% globally in 2011 without any lock-ins and ecosystems. Where is it now? Did it not see the trend? It did, but it did not have any answers to that.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Facts can lead to a wrong conclusion.

This entire thing about comparing Samsung phone production to apple phone production is a red herring due to different release schedules.

And in it all apple will rake in the revenue.
Everything that goes up will come down. Looks like it is Appe's time now. First the market share will go, then the revenues follow. Unless it wakes up to the current reality, it might even be broken up. End of story.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Then please tell me the sales numbers. Otherwise activations are a meaningless metric.
Why sales numbers, the market share shows that more people are buying android phones. According to you, they are cheaper.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
When activations reduce, it means the install base is reducing. Reduction in activations is not an activity that happens in a vacuum with no impact on the install base. Everybody, including the analysts who write such articles know that the iPhone demand is cyclical. The reason they are specifically mentioning this is because they have seen a similar trend in the YoY also, which eliminates the effect of seasonality.

Not necessarily. Just because activations decrease doesn’t mean the install base has to decrease. While iPhone has seen overall sales declines in the past (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2022 according to Statista and IDC), the number of global iPhone users (according to Statista) continued to increase.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Not necessarily. Just because activations decrease doesn’t mean the install base has to decrease. While iPhone has seen overall sales declines in the past (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2022 according to Statista and IDC), the number of global iPhone users (according to Statista) continued to increase.

That said, the drop in iPhone activations also shows that people might not be rushing to buy new iPhones like before, and instead looking for Android alternatives with more features, especially those introduced with the Pixel 8 series, or Samsung Galaxy S24 series.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why sales numbers, the market share shows that more people are buying android phones. According to you, they are cheaper.
Activations are a meaningless metric unless they can be tied back to something g tangible. Yes, that’s objective. Many phones that run android are cheaper than iPhones.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

That said, the drop in iPhone activations also shows that people might not be rushing to buy new iPhones like before, and instead looking for Android alternatives with more features, especially those introduced with the Pixel 8 series, or Samsung Galaxy S24 series.
Apples other products and services are consumed by new and existing iPhone uses alike. They are not solely dependent on hardware sales.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Everything that goes up will come down. Looks like it is Appe's time now. First the market share will go, then the revenues follow. Unless it wakes up to the current reality, it might even be broken up. End of story.
People have been saying g that about apple since 2011. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Sure speculate away.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It is not irrelevant. It might not be indicative of a future scenario. A series of current situations make for a trend. That trend is an indication. This quarter, iPhone activations have dipped. That is a fact. If it dips in the next quarter also, it starts to form a trend. There is a chance that it will dip in the next quarter also, unless there are mitigating factors. Apple is aware and as soon as it sees a trend, it will try to author the mitigating factors. Like I said, it is not irrelevant. It might not be a cause for concern for Apple if it has enough resources that it can author the mitigating actions. If not, it will go the way of Nokia. It had a market share of 41% globally in 2011 without any lock-ins and ecosystems. Where is it now? Did it not see the trend? It did, but it did not have any answers to that.
So basically. Fact: iPhone activations have gone down.

Speculation:
- people aren’t buying iphines
- iPhone sales will tank
- apple will be broken up
- apple will go the way of Nokia

There is enough hyperbole in these posts to show that you are throwing any stuff against the wall to see what may stick.

Reactions: dozoy

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
So basically. Fact: iPhone activations have gone down.

Speculation:
- people aren’t buying iphines
- iPhone sales will tank
- apple will be broken up
- apple will go the way of Nokia

There is enough hyperbole in these posts to show that you are throwing any stuff against the wall to see what may stick.
Yup.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Apples other products and services are consumed by new and existing iPhone uses alike. They are not solely dependent on hardware sales.
Sure, where will the new users come from if there are no sales? Considering that Apple sales are falling in several areas.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Activations are a meaningless metric unless they can be tied back to something g tangible. Yes, that’s objective. Many phones that run android are cheaper than iPhones.
So any non-sequiturs in this response so don't know how to respond.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think its just a basic statistic that more people globally use Android powered smartphones than iPhones which has always been the case. I know Apple most likely make more profit than individual android companies, but thats for them to worry about. At a consumer level it is noticeable that Android flagships are getting quite popular again, perhaps not in the US where iPhone is still king but certainly in Europe. Samsung are a lot more aggressive with their marketing lately and sponsoring big sporting events and anecdotally I am noticing a lot of these phones being used publicly. You'll see more of a healthy mix now rather than a dominance of iPhones at the higher end. That has got to be a good thing unless someone is only interested in one brand.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sure, where will the new users come from if there are no sales? Considering that Apple sales are falling in several areas.

Another “apple is doomed” puff piece. Apples revenues and sales have gone up and down over the years. Services have been growing and apple always gets new iPhone sales.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
When you have four sentences talking about four unconnected things ..... :)
Only responded to what was posted. 😜

At any rate. The fact is some unsubstantiated and unproven number of activations were reported on a rumors site.

Some took it as a sign from heaven that “apple is certainly, once and for all” doomed.

Don’t bet against apple.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Only responded to what was posted. 😜

At any rate. The fact is some unsubstantiated and unproven number of activations were reported on a rumors site.

Some took it as a sign from heaven that “apple is certainly, once and for all” doomed.

Don’t bet against apple.
If I do not like a report, then damn the source. Nice strategy :)
Apple might not crumble immediately, but will it be the force it was? I doubt it. It already has lost a lot of luster. I no longer look forward their product announcement so eagerly. I remember watching their M1 announement and being blown away. I had been searching for a laptop (Windows) replacement for a couple of years (I take time to finalize a product purchase), but I bought it immediately once it was available. Same case with the M2 iPad. Now i am wiser.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

Consumers on average are keeping their smartphones longer and that trend is likely to continue especially if Android-based phone makers continue to increase the length of OS and security updates like Google and Samsung (each now offering up to 7 years) have done with their latest phone models.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If I do not like a report, then damn the source. Nice strategy :)
That’s the first thing I do is question the accuracy instead of blindly believing something.
Apple might not crumble immediately, but will it be the force it was? I doubt it. It already has lost a lot of luster.
In your imagination or opinion only.
I no longer look forward their product announcement so eagerly.
I still do.
I remember watching their M1 announement and being blown away. I had been searching for a laptop (Windows) replacement for a couple of years (I take time to finalize a product purchase), but I bought it immediately once it was available. Same case with the M2 iPad. Now i am wiser.
Apple doesn’t care if you throw your iPhone away. Yours is not the general use case otherwise apple wouldn’t pull in 200B a year.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think its just a basic statistic that more people globally use Android powered smartphones than iPhones which has always been the case. I know Apple most likely make more profit than individual android companies, but thats for them to worry about. At a consumer level it is noticeable that Android flagships are getting quite popular again, perhaps not in the US where iPhone is still king but certainly in Europe. Samsung are a lot more aggressive with their marketing lately and sponsoring big sporting events and anecdotally I am noticing a lot of these phones being used publicly. You'll see more of a healthy mix now rather than a dominance of iPhones at the higher end. That has got to be a good thing unless someone is only interested in one brand.
People are free to like whatever they want. I just don't understand why everything has to link back to the tired "Apple is doomed" that has been floating around since, well, since I joined this forum in 2011.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
That’s the first thing I do is question the accuracy instead of blindly believing something.
So, do you think the activations are not coming down? Or do you not believe the conclusions related to the consequences of drop in activations? If it was not a reputed website, not EVERY news website would have carried the news.
In your imagination or opinion only.
Of course, as are yours.
Apple doesn’t care if you throw your iPhone away. Yours is not the general use case otherwise apple wouldn’t pull in 200B a year.
They're pulling in less and less.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Not sure about pixel but s24ultra destroys the iPhone in every way. Hardware, software, features like AI etc

iPhone feels like a dated phone.

That’s a matter of opinion. Personally I would suggest it’s a garish hat tip towards eastern design philosophy which is make everything big and stupid and with the highest numbers and try and pave over the cracks by smearing some android fork over the top.

And I certainly can’t get behind the software environment. It doesn’t even come with a todo list that syncs with your desktop computer properly (guess who spent a whole day a few weeks back trying to get Samsung’s reminders to sync with MS Todo for someone because that’s the only way to do it)

Honestly the thing that drives me to Apple is the quality not the specs. When I say quality I mean the fact that it actually works without having to piss around with stuff like that. That is the most important feature.

Footnote: I had a Samsung washing machine. It lasted 18 months. Failed due to electrical problems. Samsung were no help at all and told me to buy another one. £1200 on an S24? They can go to hell. And yes I charge backed it and won.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.