Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes. But this article does not say that iOS has been reducing for a long time. It would not be news anymore. It is news because it had been increasing for so long but this year it has reduced.
The proliferation of cheap phones that run android has always been a contributing factor in androids dominance, imo.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
The proliferation of cheap phones that run android has always been a contributing factor in androids dominance, imo.
Every Android phone bought is one which is not going to iOS. It means they are offering what the customers want, nothing more and nothing less. Not a bloated phone, (for those who are buying them), with unnecessary features. For instance: Why do I need Titanium Chassis if I am going to upgrade every year? Not every country has carriers subsidizing the phones. I am not in the US, but I believe the carriers are no longer subsidizing the phones and that is why people are looking at value and iPhones are found wanting.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Can you predict safari search traffic going forward? If so picking market winners and losers should be a snap.
Definitely. It is going to come down and reach less than 20% from its current less than 30% share.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
That’s not true. iPhone sales could stay flat and other products and services could grow.

Yes. You don’t know what products and services people might buy. You can have an opinion on this, but you can’t predict the future.
That is what analysts do. Will they be correct? If Apple overshoots the predictions, then Apple shares bounce back, otherwise they slump.

Sure I like a good game of speculation. I say quarter of iPhone launch is going to be a gangbuster.
If the AI features are good, they will have a blowout quarter.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

That is what analysts do. Will they be correct? If Apple overshoots the predictions, then Apple shares bounce back, otherwise they slump.

If the AI features are good, they will have a blowout quarter.
Bloomberg has been shown wrong over the years as in various earnings calls and other revenues are loosely correlated with iPhone revenue. Apples business is complex they have shown us that a generalized statement such as: “apples revenue is solely dependent on iPhone sales” is incorrect.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Every Android phone bought is one which is not going to iOS. It means they are offering what the customers want, nothing more and nothing less. Not a bloated phone, (for those who are buying them), with unnecessary features. For instance: Why do I need Titanium Chassis if I am going to upgrade every year? Not every country has carriers subsidizing the phones. I am not in the US, but I believe the carriers are no longer subsidizing the phones and that is why people are looking at value and iPhones are found wanting.
This has always been the case for years that cheap android phones sell. There is a reason the galaxy z fold isn’t the best selling phone in the world (think price). In downturns, people cut back. They buy less, buy cheaper. With apple buying less still means revenue for apple.

I’ll wager you don’t have an inkling as to why these trends happen (or even if activations are a predictor of anything) and can’t see through the bias of the android operating system.

This friendly discussion of “prove my speculation wrong” has been fun, but my speculation is it’s not going to happen the way you believe.

chris1958

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
You could not be more wrong on this. Apple has an excellent developer ecosystem, far beyond the zoo of different programming languages on Android (Java, Kotlin, Dart—it feels like Google itself doesn’t even know what their direction is), much easier to incorporate native C/C++ systems on iOS and of course, iOS is a great OS to develop for, besides doing the actual development on macOS, which is a "real OS," as you say. There is zero advantage to Android being open as it is in the process of developing apps. Apple has better frameworks and tools and has advanced with much greater speed regarding additions to their ecosystems and new frameworks. Documentation might lack a bit in some cases, but this is even worse for Google in my experience.
I cannot agree less. It is not all about programming languages, but about the way, programs are naturally structured. Although I wouldn't want to program in C/C++, if it is not absolutely necessary, you can do it on Android as well. Apple is in the middle of a switch from Objective-C to Swift, while Android switches from Java to Kotlin. In contrast to the switch from Objective-C to Swift, the switch from Java to Kotlin is mostly painless. The tooling is excellent and can create reasonable Kotlin-Code from Java.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Personally, as long as the iPhone install base continues to grow (meaning the net number of people using iPhones around the world increases), I am not too worried about this sort of quarterly fluctuations. A few more people buy iPhones last quarter (be it from Apple, a carrier or 2nd hand), a few less do so another quarter, it should all even itself out unless this becomes a consistent downward trend.

Too many people here are trying way too hard to make it seem like Apple is anything but winning the smartphone wars.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
Bloomberg has been shown wrong over the years as in various earnings calls and other revenues are loosely correlated with iPhone revenue. Apples business is complex they have shown us that a generalized statement such as: “apples revenue is solely dependent on iPhone sales” is incorrect.
Over 50% of their revenue comes from iPhones.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Personally, as long as the iPhone install base continues to grow (meaning the net number of people using iPhones around the world increases), I am not too worried about this sort of quarterly fluctuations. A few more people buy iPhones last quarter (be it from Apple, a carrier or 2nd hand), a few less do so another quarter, it should all even itself out unless this becomes a consistent downward trend.

Too many people here are trying way too hard to make it seem like Apple is anything but winning the smartphone wars.
When activations reduce, it means the install base is reducing. Reduction in activations is not an activity that happens in a vacuum with no impact on the install base. Everybody, including the analysts who write such articles know that the iPhone demand is cyclical. The reason they are specifically mentioning this is because they have seen a similar trend in the YoY also, which eliminates the effect of seasonality.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
When activations reduce, it means the install base is reducing. Reduction in activations is not an activity that happens in a vacuum with no impact on the install base. Everybody, including the analysts who write such articles know that the iPhone demand is cyclical. The reason they are specifically mentioning this is because they have seen a similar trend in the YoY also, which eliminates the effect of seasonality.

Correction. There is a difference between the active install base growing less slowly, and it actually decreasing. Like I said, this may mean fewer iPhones sold, but so long as those people remain iPhone users (as opposed to switching to Android), they still represent a source of revenue for Apple.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
This has always been the case for years that cheap android phones sell. There is a reason the galaxy z fold isn’t the best selling phone in the world (think price). In downturns, people cut back. They buy less, buy cheaper. With apple buying less still means revenue for apple.

I’ll wager you don’t have an inkling as to why these trends happen (or even if activations are a predictor of anything) and can’t see through the bias of the android operating system.

This friendly discussion of “prove my speculation wrong” has been fun, but my speculation is it’s not going to happen the way you believe.
Facts have no basis for bias.
The activations of iPhone have come down. - Fact
Sales of iPhones worldwide have come down - Fact
There is an uptick in the smartphone sales worldwide (about 2.6%) whereas Apple sales are falling - Fact
Ergo, others are selling more phones whereas Apple is not - Fact
Cheaper Android phones were there even in 2022 and 2023 - Fact

The sales of Z fold have been increasing YOY. If the fold phones had not been a hit, every other Android manufacturer would not be making them.

According to a new report from TheELEC, Samsung manufactured more phones and tablets than planned in Q1 2024. It made more than 65.4 million smartphones and tablets, 22% higher than the initial target of 53 million. This number excludes the phones manufactured by its contractor, Wingtech. The company reportedly aims to ship around 253 million Galaxy phones, of which 51 million would be from the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Z series.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Predictions can be wrong, but analysis of existing business, that is something anyone can do.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Why do people buy old iPhones? Is it not because they are cheap? Why do they settle for a cheaper iPhone? Why do people buy iPhone 15 and why does not everyone buy iPhone Pro Max 2TB? Everyone's requirements are different. Why would a user buy a gimped-up phone paying double just for the logo? When an Oppo or Samsung A20 (just throwing some alphabets here) is good enough for a user's use case, why will a user buy an iPhone just to be in the ecosystem? iPhones generally deliver less when you do not have an ecosystem (that means, you only own an iPhone but no Airpods, Mac, iPad, etc.,)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why do people buy old iPhones? Is it not because they are cheap? Why do they settle for a cheaper iPhone? Why do people buy iPhone 15 and why does not everyone buy iPhone Pro Max 2TB? Everyone's requirements are different. Why would a user buy a gimped-up phone paying double just for the logo? When an Oppo or Samsung A20 (just throwing some alphabets here) is good enough for a user's use case, why will a user buy an iPhone just to be in the ecosystem? iPhones generally deliver less when you do not have an ecosystem (that means, you only own an iPhone but no Airpods, Mac, iPad, etc.,)
The price of cheaper android are less than the price of cheaper iPhones. The point is when times get tough people who are cash flow constrained do what they have to.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Facts have no basis for bias.
The activations of iPhone have come down. - Fact
Sales of iPhones worldwide have come down - Fact
There is an uptick in the smartphone sales worldwide (about 2.6%) whereas Apple sales are falling - Fact
Ergo, others are selling more phones whereas Apple is not - Fact
Cheaper Android phones were there even in 2022 and 2023 - Fact

The sales of Z fold have been increasing YOY. If the fold phones had not been a hit, every other Android manufacturer would not be making them.

According to a new report from TheELEC, Samsung manufactured more phones and tablets than planned in Q1 2024. It made more than 65.4 million smartphones and tablets, 22% higher than the initial target of 53 million. This number excludes the phones manufactured by its contractor, Wingtech. The company reportedly aims to ship around 253 million Galaxy phones, of which 51 million would be from the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Z series.
Facts can lead to a wrong conclusion.

This entire thing about comparing Samsung phone production to apple phone production is a red herring due to different release schedules.

And in it all apple will rake in the revenue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.