Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
probably needed and yet...not holding my breath that the overall experience would improve for me at all.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
This will compromise iPhone security.

Some apps will not submit to the App Store in order to drive all sales to their outside store to increase profits.

Others apps will stay outside to avoid Apple review process. Bugs and deliberate surveillance will run rampant.

Fake apps will proliferate outside with no oversight.

Welcome to your diminished privacy and acct security world.

Big mistake EU. Big.
I take it you don't use a Mac then, with its compromised security and all.

DoogH

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
I love a government telling me what I can and cannot buy.

I bought an iPhone, in large part, for the security and convenience of all apps coming from a single verifying source.

Now it’s going to become the same Balkanized nonsense that Android is.

Thanks, Europe.
This makes no sense.

If anything, it is giving consumers more choice, not less. If you still prefer only using the App Store fine.

But now Apple will be forced to compete on lower store taxes, which means lower prices for consumers.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
This will compromise iPhone security.

Some apps will not submit to the App Store in order to drive all sales to their outside store to increase profits.

Others apps will stay outside to avoid Apple review process. Bugs and deliberate surveillance will run rampant.

Fake apps will proliferate outside with no oversight.

Welcome to your diminished privacy and acct security world.

Big mistake EU. Big.
Its YOUR device. You should be able to do with it what you wish. You paid for it.

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
No one was stopping you from buying an Android this entire time.

You chose to embrace the walled garden by buying Apple. Now all of us are going to be forced to endure multiple different app sources with varying and unknown security.

You don't need to use those other App Stores, so what's the problem? You wanna stick with the Apple App Store, just do it. No downside for you.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
So basically Apple is adding instability and a lot of ways for things to break to be stubborn and lock out of side loading.
Isn’t the App Store, and by extension all of apples other stores, already region specific?
I don’t see where the other bugs are being introduced here, if you’re in Europe you’ll be able to download other App Stores from the App Store.
If you’re anywhere else, they just… Won’t show up.
The same way that some albums are available in US Apple Music, and some are only available in UK Apple Music already.
And my assumption is, if a law like this ever goes into effect in the US, it’ll just be a switch they’ll have to enable to immediately have all of those alternate app stores available in the US.

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2021
EU: It’s unfair that only McDonalds gets to sell the Big Mac. McDonald’s must allow it to be sold in Burger Kings and Taco Bell too.

I’m constantly in awe of how absolutely stupid EU regulators are. Somehow they manage to be worse than America.

this reads like someone who just read an Ayn Rand novel but doesn't actually know how the economy works lmao

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
This makes no sense.

If anything, it is giving consumers more choice, not less. If you still prefer only using the App Store fine.

But now Apple will be forced to compete on lower store taxes, which means lower prices for consumers.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Make absolutely NO MISTAKE.. Apple will 100% PUNISH its customers over this. They are completely morally bankrupt in every way. Prices will increase in another area. They ONLY care about profits.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The security argument would make some sense if all Apple did is check for malware and illegal software. Almost nobody would be complaining then. The issue is they are prohibiting much, much more, and also aren’t actually that good in filtering out scamware. They only have themselves to blame.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Isn’t the App Store, and by extension all of apples other stores, already region specific?
I don’t see where the other bugs are being introduced here, if you’re in Europe you’ll be able to download other App Stores from the App Store.
If you’re anywhere else, they just… Won’t show up.
The same way that some albums are available in US Apple Music, and some are only available in UK Apple Music already.
And my assumption is, if a law like this ever goes into effect in the US, it’ll just be a switch they’ll have to enable to immediately have all of those alternate app stores available in the US.

Not in this case.

Apps store and phone setting right now is region set up of App Store and region specific text but one ipa file.

This is basically saying EU gets side loading and no one else does.

It is Apple putting other security holes in the OS to allow for this.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Make absolutely NO MISTAKE.. Apple will 100% PUNISH its customers over this. They are completely morally bankrupt in every way. Prices will increase in another area. They ONLY care about profits.

Then they risk losing even more money by driving people away from Apple altogether.

I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal for 99% of the EU population.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Also noticed that there’s a lot of talk about alternate stores being available *inside* of the main AppStore, but not the ability to just simply download a .ipa file from Safari and run it as an application.
I wonder how that’s going to work.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
EU: It’s unfair that only McDonalds gets to sell the Big Mac. McDonald’s must allow it to be sold in Burger Kings and Taco Bell too.

I’m constantly in awe of how absolutely stupid EU regulators are. Somehow they manage to be worse than America.
Let me fix that for you...

EU: It’s unfair that you can only buy Krispy Kreme doughnuts at McDonald's. McDonald’s must allow it to be sold by Burger King, Taco Bell, or even by Krispy Kreme themselves through their own store.

McDonald's = Apple
Krispy Kreme doughnuts = product (app) created by someone other than McDonald's (Apple)

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008

Target must now allow Walmart's store brand to be sold in Target stores.

I'm glad the US isn't that stupid.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
You don't need to use those other App Stores, so what's the problem? You wanna stick with the Apple App Store, just do it. No downside for you.
Expect companies to pull their apps from the Apple App Store and only release via alternate to make more money

Reactions: Mathew31de
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.