Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Yeah, I still dont get it. Apple built the playground. People decide to play on it. But then they want to change it. I am all for government putting in safety regulations (like seat belts in cars), but eh, don't want them telling businesses how to run their business.

The computer analogy doesnt hold water. It was designed back in the days when privacy meant shutting our doors, or shredding our mail when we through it out. That genie is out of the bottle. Apple didnt make that mistake with the iPhone or iPads and built a business around security. Sure they make money from it, it's a for profit organization, but it distinguishes them from google who mines your private life to sell. That's called choice. I chose privacy. You can choose cheaper if you want.

and the argument this doesnt hurt you if you don't side load doesnt convince me either. Right now, companies play nice (most of them) on the App Store, and that helps fund future hardware and software that we all enjoy and benefit from, including third parties. But no one thinks of that, they think of what pennies they can save if they move out of the App Store to go sideload. So now I get less chance, and my platform of choice is less supported. R&D is paid for by real money.

People are thinking short term, not long. Especially elected officials, when did they ever think long term????

ApostolisApo

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg
I love a government telling me what I can and cannot buy.

I bought an iPhone, in large part, for the security and convenience of all apps coming from a single verifying source.

Now it’s going to become the same Balkanized nonsense that Android is.

Thanks, Europe.
So you don’t want a government telling you what to buy, but you want a company to tell you what to install? 😀

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Imagine being able to buy Kirkland Signature brand (i.e. Costco's private label) products from Walmart.

I can buy Kirkland signature products from Amazon, too.

Oh look, I can buy Sam's club private label (Member's Mark) products on Amazon, too.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Let me fix that for you...

EU: It’s unfair that you can only buy Krispy Kreme doughnuts at McDonald's. McDonald’s must allow it to be sold by Burger King, Taco Bell, or even by Krispy Kreme themselves through their own store.

McDonald's = Apple
Krispy Kreme doughnuts = product (app) created by someone other than McDonald's (Apple)

Except thats NOT how McDonald's are set up as a business. Heck they dont even allow Girl Scouts to sell cookies there (in general). They certainly would never allow Krispy Kreme to set up shop inside their restaurant. For all those that hated the previous McDonald's analogy, you really going too support this analogy? Sure you will, because people aren't voting with logic, just what they want.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
This is gonna be a nightmare for App Store review engineers...good luck to them!
If I were Apple, not that they've called me to ask for my opinion, I'd create the "EU App Store" and then abandon it.

Like Apple refuses to support phones with beta software on (betas of their own OS) until one removes the beta, they could demand all apps from the "EU Store" are removed before support is offered.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
If I were Apple, not that they've called me to ask for my opinion, I'd create the "EU App Store" and then abandon it.

Like Apple refuses to support phones with beta software on (betas of their own OS) until one removes the beta, they could demand all apps from the "EU Store" are removed before support is offered.

You don't think the EU has thought of this? They are going to make Apple keep the same warranty, and not retaliate, against companies or the consumer.

Apple has lost this war, and they know it.

strongy

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2008
This makes no sense.

If anything, it is giving consumers more choice, not less. If you still prefer only using the App Store fine.

But now Apple will be forced to compete on lower store taxes, which means lower prices for consumers.
You literally just took the only walled garden choice away you reduced choice not increased it totally selfish
if you don't see that you need your eyes testing.

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
It's more along the lines of Walmart saying to Tide than you can't sell your products at Target, or any other store.

you do know they do this right? Walmart? oh not tide, but they do set up exclusive contracts to squeeze smaller vendors. happens all the time. Walmart does not play nice, but people support them in the name of cheaper prices. Then wonder why local shops are put out business. oops.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
you do know they do this right? Walmart? oh not tide, but they do set up exclusive contracts to squeeze smaller vendors. happens all the time. Walmart does not play nice, but people support them in the name of cheaper prices. Then wonder why local shops are put out business. oops.

I know that they do, same with grocery stores (father was a high-up manager at Kroger).

I won't shop at Wal-Mart, personally.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I still want game emulators for my phone. Apple banning them from the App Store, despite them being available on every device for decades now, is a huge limitation for gamers.

I don’t think that is going to change. Apple still controls what software can run and what it can do.

I hope I’m wrong. But I won’t believe it until I see an emulator running on a non-jailbroken iPhone.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You've never needed an App Store on your computer to ensure your security or privacy.

And if you want to install apps exclusively through the App Store, nothing prevents you from doing that, does it?

It's just more choice for you, the user. You don't have to change anything if you don't want to.

How exactly is that a bad thing for you?

And by the way, Apple has done an extremely bad job at preventing malicious and fake apps in the past.

How are so many people that love to go on about the importance of freedom so hell-bent on defending the corset Apple forces them into?

I guess too many people drank the Apple Kool-Aid.

Except macOS and Windows (two prominent OSes that allow side-loading) are extremely vulnerable to malware. Apple’s “solution” in macOS is to block apps from “unknown” developers by default, and/or require apps to ask for permission to install. I think either Jason Snell or Jonathan Gruber (maybe both) have written that all the requests for permission have worsened the overall UI of macOS. And Windows’ vulnerabilities spawned an entire industry of “anti-malware” software of dubious effectiveness. True, Apple’s record of screening apps isn’t perfect, but it’s a lot easier to infect a Mac, Windows PC, or Android device with a link in an email or message than an iPhone or iPad.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Actually can’t wait for this to happen. It will be fun telling European customers who use a third party app store or side load that they are on their own if they have issues. Not Apple’s problem if that app misbehaves or you can’t get a refund, or claim you didn't subscribe to anything but were billed anyway. If you kid runs up your in-game purchases, too bad so sad, deal with the developer, not Apple’s problem.

Let the fun begin in European support forums!

Of course there will instant conspiracy theories about Apple nefariously crippling third party apps bought outside its own App Store. That’s how the Apple detractors think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.