Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
In principle, I agree with you.

In practice, you've got MAGA written all over this.

Disgusting.

So basically, you're OK with governmental overreach so long as it's a political opponent?

Regardless of political views, this behavior is always wrong. The moment you suggest that the ends justify the means, you've lost your moral compass.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Ironic:
1701887468200.png

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
So basically, you're OK with governmental overreach so long as it's a political opponent?

Regardless of political views, this behavior is always wrong. The moment you suggest that the ends justify the means, you've lost your moral compass.
The postscript to your original post strongly implies the current administration is targeting the former president because he is a political opponent. In point of fact, the former president has been indicted in numerous jurisdictions by grand juries composed of everyday citizens, due to substantial evidence of crimes committed. This is not overreach, and this is not a witch-hunt. This is the application of the law regardless of privilege or station, which is as it should be.

You're not going to see it that way, but I can't help that. Yes, government overreach is always something to guard against, and as I said, I am with you in principle. But you had to go and shoehorn the whole "political opponent" baloney into your post, and now I know I can't trust a word you say.

Sorry. 🤷‍♂️

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I suspect that Safari’s share sheet is also potentially being monitored by someone somewhere. If you have Signal installed, log out of Mac Rumors and then try sharing this article. Signal isn’t available in the list unless you’re logged in here. I could easily be barking up the wrong tree but I’ve never noticed it before and find it mildly suspicious. Copy & paste everything from now on, methinks. Including podcasts etc.

ETA: This limitation isn’t there in Brave Browser.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Tell me more about Apple security please, there will never be any security until they put a firewall the user can configure in the phone
Finally. I finally found someone else who thinks a firewall on our mobile phone is an essential feature.🥳👏👏👏

This is why I rooted and sideloaded a firewall on my android phone. If Apple stop breaking jailbreak with each update, I would jailbreak my iPhone and install a firewall from the Cydia store.

Reactions: gusmula

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
I’d say this is the tip of the iceberg next time we’ll hear about they also have access to cameras and microphones and that privacy options and buttons on iOS or macOS are just a gimmick that only work for low level apps but not for super users.
People in general and Apple users in particular are careless when it comes to privacy they prefer convenience, comfort and blind trust.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
The postscript to your original post strongly implies the current administration is targeting the former president because he is a political opponent. In point of fact, the former president has been indicted in numerous jurisdictions by grand juries composed of everyday citizens, due to substantial evidence of crimes committed. This is not overreach, and this is not a witch-hunt. This is the application of the law regardless of privilege or station, which is as it should be.

You're not going to see it that way, but I can't help that. Yes, government overreach is always something to guard against, and as I said, I am with you in principle. But you had to go and shoehorn the whole "political opponent" baloney into your post, and now I know I can't trust a word you say.

Sorry. 🤷‍♂️

The point of my post is clear and remains valid.

As it just so happens, Trump disgusts me, and probably a lot more than you. However, what disgusts me more is any governmental or law enforcement officer, who abuses their power for their own political game.

It appears the difference between us is that you are OK with governmental overreach so long as it furthers your own political wishes.

The point of my post is that regardless of political, affiliation or not, governmental abuse is always unethical, immoral and absolutely unacceptable.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
The metadata alone could tie your Signal or Telegram account to your Apple ID.

They can go back in time and match up the dates and times those services sent notifications and when Apple delivered those notification to devices logged into your Apple ID.

Mass spying is become less labor intensive with AI. https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2023/12/ai-and-mass-spying.html
Not what I asked. I’m wondering if the actual payload is encrypted in traffic and then decrypted on device before the actual message is displayed.

• Haha
Reactions: displayblock

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Unsurprising yet still sickening.

When governments force companies, private citizens, to keep secrets from the public, you know you're on the road to communism or worse.

There is a reason we have a court system with judicial oversight. The reason is to allow the subject...er suspect, a reasonable defense on government overreach.

When the citizens of a country are required to be complicit, yet must also remain quiet about their actions in support of government, that itself is a crime against the people.

Kudos to the whistle blower. Hopefully there will be some congressional hearings on this behavior.

Added Note: I have no issue with a hidden warrant. That is a tool used for criminal investigation. My problem is prohibiting companies from acknowledging what is being asked of them, even without disclosing whom the suspect(s) may be.

Furthermore, the worse crime, in this case, is blanket surveillance without evidence a crime was committed. In the US, the constitution prohibits such arbitrary abuse of law enforcement. Our judicial system allows for criminal investigation, the key word being criminal, as in a crime has been committed and therefore government must investigate the crime and prosecute the offenders. It prohibits personal investigation where the government investigates an individual, often for less than ethical reasons (such a political opponent of the investigator or investigating agency) looking to find, or, more often, looking to charge someone of anything that they can convince the public was a crime.
It's amazing to me how few people know what communism is, and isn't.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
The point of my post is clear and remains valid.

As it just so happens, Trump disgusts me, and probably a lot more than you. However, what disgusts me more is any governmental or law enforcement officer, who abuses their power for their own political game.

It appears the difference between us is that you are OK with governmental overreach so long as it furthers your own political wishes.

The point of my post is that regardless of political, affiliation or not, governmental abuse is always unethical, immoral and absolutely unacceptable.
We're agreed on your last point.

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: MacProFCP

Carrotcruncher

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2019
So this is a back door, right ? For the criticism of Apple at least they're the ones to admit that this is going on and nobody else has fessed up to it have they? I do hope Apple rewrite all of this and closes this down very quickly and rapidly.

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008
Israel, Mexico and the UK are probably the first ones that come to mind

"Today starting at 2:18 p.m. Eastern, most Americans simultaneously felt their cellphones vibrate, heard them make a loud sound and saw a push alert pop up on their screens. ... There is no national emergency, no reason to panic and nothing you need to do about the alerts. It was, as the messages said, just a test." The Washington Post October 3, 2023

Just a test. :rolleyes:

• Wow

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸

Exactly, rights, especially free speech, apply to everyone equally, even if I don't like their opinions or what they might say about me. (And Iv'e been called nasty things before, trust me)

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
Tell me more about Apple security please, there will never be any security until they put a firewall the user can configure in the phone
as per the law Apple has to provide it to law enforcement agencies if they have any data on their servers.
i don't think this is security issue, rather a privacy issue.

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
No the notifications are sent from a third party and routed through Apple's servers to actually get to the iPhone. When a dev sends a notification, they send it to Apple and Apple delivers it to you. That's the point of this article. So yes, while I agree with OP that a Little Snitch style easy firewall for iOS would be awesome, unless you're blocking Apple's servers (which renders the iPhone useless) a firewall does nothing on this one.
Apple has to provide any data that goes through their servers when law enforcement requests with permission from courts.

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
Push notification tracking? Didn’t see that coming. Interesting…

It’s great this is being revealed. It should not at all (but somehow will, for a staggering number of people) come as BREAKING NEWS to learn that governments are surveilling its citizens nor that they are legally preventing companies from divulging said surveilling (wait… whaaaat?!?). Right, wrong, or something in between, that’s how it’s worked since we crawled out of the ocean: a select few control govern the masses.

While this is clearly so much bigger than any one company, I fully expect usual suspects to call for Tim’s ousting. Brace yourselves.
law enforcement getting a warrant from court and using that to request information from Apple is not surveillance.

• Disagree
Reactions: xpxp2002

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
as per the law Apple has to provide it to law enforcement agencies if they have any data on their servers.
i don't think this is security issue, rather a privacy issue.
Not if it violates the 4th Amendment in the US Constitution:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
You need probable cause in order to have a search done.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
So TLDR: the cat is out of the bag. Apple just admitted it won’t tell you if the state is monitoring everything you ever do on your devices. Good to know 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.