Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

francoc02o

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I bought it and returned it after 2 weeks. The video quality is amazing and the design of the headset is beautiful
BUUUUUUUT

- It’s extremely UNCOMFORTABLE. The first day I used it for 5 hours I think, until my face was hurting. It not only got me bruises in the face, but also my eye lids got swelling like I didn’t sleep for 3 days, and this because the lack of oxygen in the skin in that area. And that swelling wouldn’t go away after at lest 3 more days. Since then my face woulndt be able to wear it for more than 40 min before it started hurting again, and every subsequent time, the use period was shorter because of the pain. When I used it I had to hold it with my hands to be able to resist it for more time, as if i was holding binoculars.

- It’s NOT PRACTICAL. Who wants to have a cable hanging from your head all the time, getting tangled with your arms , jacket, the door, etc. It also looks ridiculous. The battery is also terrible, this is not a portable device. The MacBook is 20+ plus hours, the ipad 10 hours, this APV is less than 2 hours. You wouldn’t be able to watch not even a single movie in a flight.

- It’s NOT USEFUL at all. Ok, it very interesting to see the potencial it has. But nowadays it lacks basic apps we are used to. Does even allows you to see the time easily. you cant even download movies on the go because there is not basic apps like Netflix or YouTube. There is no immersive videos besides the 5 samples apple provide. Apple sells the idea of what’s will be possible with it, but we are not there yet. This is a prototype product that hopefully developers want to invest their resources to create apps for. But they need to justify the monetization and for that they need a considerable size of the market to feel attracted.

- The price is a joke, 4K USD IS SUPER EXPENSIVE for a device that has all this issues. I honestly had to return it because I wasnt gonna keep something that hurts me and made me look sick tired. Even if you are able to afford it, why would you keep something causing you an injury, and to do what? Listening music from it? Nope. Also with that price that , its is imposible to reach masses of people. And if there is no masses, developers wont invest time doing apps for masses. What i think is going to happens is that they are only gonna develop apps for professionals that are going to be very expensive and for very niche markets, such as architects, the medical field or so, who would use this device for work/research purposes And can allow to justify a 4k device for it.

If apple wants to have this device set as a new standard , it need invest creating a processor super efficient capable of run without heating up so they can remove the vents , and making it lightweight and smaller, with an embedded battery of 10+ hours of autonomy and with a price of a Mac if not an iPhone. Only that way this product would be interesting for the masses and developers would see a potential in it and apps will start raining.
Probably apple need to go in loss with this product during the first years, and monetize through apps and services of hardware, until this product reaches a tipping point of maturity In the market. Jut then they should create a pro version that is more expensive.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
People just need to grow up and stop being so easily offended and manipulated. If a guy defending free speech and posting edgy memes offends a person, then they really need to do some soul searching.
No one is offended by his cringy memes. People are offended that his idea of free speech only supports the free speech of extreme right wing people that agree with his extreme right wing positions

He doesn’t support the free speech of *anyone* else. He even bans speech like “cis” that he doesn’t like from Twitter while allowing Nazis to recruit on his platform

That’s what people are mad about

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

rurounihana

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
I bought it and returned it after 2 weeks. The video quality is amazing and the design of the headset is beautiful
BUUUUUUUT

- It’s extremely UNCOMFORTABLE. The first day I used it for 5 hours I think, until my face was hurting. It not only got me bruises in the face, but also my eye lids got swelling like I didn’t sleep for 3 days, and this because the lack of oxygen in the skin in that area. And that swelling wouldn’t go away after at lest 3 more days. Since then my face woulndt be able to wear it for more than 40 min before it started hurting again, and every subsequent time, the use period was shorter because of the pain. When I used it I had to hold it with my hands to be able to resist it for more time, as if i was holding binoculars.

- It’s NOT PRACTICAL. Who wants to have a cable hanging from your head all the time, getting tangled with your arms , jacket, the door, etc. It also looks ridiculous. The battery is also terrible, this is not a portable device. The MacBook is 20+ plus hours, the ipad 10 hours, this APV is less than 2 hours. You wouldn’t be able to watch not even a single movie in a flight.

- It’s NOT USEFUL at all. Ok, it very interesting to see the potencial it has. But nowadays it lacks basic apps we are used to. Does even allows you to see the time easily. you cant even download movies on the go because there is not basic apps like Netflix or YouTube. There is no immersive videos besides the 5 samples apple provide. Apple sells the idea of what’s will be possible with it, but we are not there yet. This is a prototype product that hopefully developers want to invest their resources to create apps for. But they need to justify the monetization and for that they need a considerable size of the market to feel attracted.

- The price is a joke, 4K USD IS SUPER EXPENSIVE for a device that has all this issues. I honestly had to return it because I wasnt gonna keep something that hurts me and made me look sick tired. Even if you are able to afford it, why would you keep something causing you an injury, and to do what? Listening music from it? Nope. Also with that price that , its is imposible to reach masses of people. And if there is no masses, developers wont invest time doing apps for masses. What i think is going to happens is that they are only gonna develop apps for professionals that are going to be very expensive and for very niche markets, such as architects, the medical field or so, who would use this device for work/research purposes And can allow to justify a 4k device for it.

If apple wants to have this device set as a new standard , it need invest creating a processor super efficient capable of run without heating up so they can remove the vents , and making it lightweight and smaller, with an embedded battery of 10+ hours of autonomy and with a price of a Mac if not an iPhone. Only that way this product would be interesting for the masses and developers would see a potential in it and apps will start raining.
Probably apple need to go in loss with this product during the first years, and monetize through apps and services of hardware, until this product reaches a tipping point of maturity In the market. Jut then they should create a pro version that is more expensive.

Well written. If Apple insist that they believe AR/VR is the future (it really isn't), look at lightweight options like RayBan Meta, minus the privacy issues. They are useful, portable, and much more affordable at less than 10% of the Vision Pro price. They are a huge success compared to the Vision Pro.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a

This thing is a business tool; a research and engineering tool. It's a giant heap of complicated sensors, a massive amount of display, and a huge heap of computing power. It's got their freaking desktop-class CPU in it. And I would be all over if, and I would even pay the price they want, if I could buy this thing, pair up my keyboard and mouse, and LEAVE MY LAPTOP BEHIND.

That doesn't fit Apple's business model. For instance:
- You have to have an iPhone in order to operate an Apple Watch
- An iPad cannot have any type of cellular connection - you have to buy an iPhone for that.
- You cannot buy a MacBook with a touch screen. You have to buy an iPad for that.

Apple's problem is it has run out of innovative products for the every day person. Apple is also scared of the medical market, where it could crush some very profitable companies.

The fact is that Apple survived through good value, customer focused products.

- The Mac was hugely innovative, it had a beautiful screen, a mouse that worked, and a graphical spreadsheet, and word processors that showed what you were doing in real time.
- The iMac had the internet, it was compact, sexy looking for the time, needed software mostly included and it was affordable.
- The iPhone was somewhat costly, but people bought it via cellular monthly payment plans, and in the end the iPhone felt huge value.

Apple's goals have now shifted.

Apple's mission now is to entrap their user base. Apple's goal is to rip them off, instead of offering value based products that people not only want, but gain huge benefits from. A classic example nowadays is that Apple silicon prevents upgrading internal storage and memory, and there is no affordable upgrade scheme. Apple have lost their customer focus entirely. It is possible the Vision Pro is an example of that, due to its lack usability - due to lack of comfort, its software and its pricing.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxoakland

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
the price and comfort is the main problem. if this was priced at 1500-2k it would likely sell out. apple are working on a cheaper model and it needs to hit that price point. no matter how good a product is it needs to be cheaper.

it's a first generation product so I expect it to go from strength to strength but it's no surprise people won't be willing to spend this much on it. for many the use case won't be there to justify the price point

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
the price and comfort is the main problem. if this was priced at 1500-2k it would likely sell out. apple are working on a cheaper model and it needs to hit that price point. no matter how good a product is it needs to be cheaper.

it's a first generation product so I expect it to go from strength to strength but it's no surprise people won't be willing to spend this much on it. for many the use case won't be there to justify the price point

It will still only be for watching videos. 1500-2k is still a hard sale. Unless the ridiculous 3500 asking price for current avp has conditioned you.

Can Apple really keep the same quality oled resolution, make it lighter and come in at that price or lower? Seems doubtful. As does any road to profitability with avp.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
That doesn't fit Apple's business model. For instance:
- You have to have an iPhone in order to operate an Apple Watch
- An iPad cannot have any type of cellular connection - you have to buy an iPhone for that.
- You cannot buy a MacBook with a touch screen. You have to buy an iPad for that.

Apple's problem is it has run out of innovative products for the every day person. Apple is also scared of the medical market, where it could crush some very profitable companies.
Maybe Apple would be more successful if they removed all these artificial limitations and started innovating

Remember how the iPod Nano replaced the iPod mini at the same price? Now they’d charge you more for the Nano and use the Mini as an upsell

Reactions: Seamaster

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Maybe Apple would be more successful if they removed all these artificial limitations and started innovating

Remember how the iPod Nano replaced the iPod mini at the same price? Now they’d charge you more for the Nano and use the Mini as an upsell

Yep. But the Vision Pro is innovation. But it's not customer focused. The lack of customer satisfaction have been discussed here. I wonder whether Ives would have allowed an uncomfortable unit to leave the Apple R&D doors. And since Apple did, if they were customer focused, they would not have overpriced it. They could have sold it for one quarter the price, called it the version 1 or version H (for heavy) and then see how things went.

Customer focused means thinking about customer satisfaction. The simplest example is the downsides of unified memory - the fixed ram. But why not allow user based drive upgrades? And since Apple does not allow that, why have punitive prices for drive capacity? As for memory, if Apple was customer focused, they'd have an upgrade plan. Give people a year or even 3 months to upgrade or downgrade their memory at the same prices that they sell memory upgrades for, with a minimal service charge on top.

Another example of Apple's lack of customer focus is their Operating system changes. Apple now seems to think that multiple abilities is what customers want. The reality is that customers don't want to re-learn the operating system changes regularly. An example being Apple's change to System Settings, a very basic part of Apple's OS for a long time. Apple changed the entire layout without having the old one being embedded in the OS. If Apple was customer focused, they'd have had an option to change the System Settings to a new list format. But they are not so Apple did not even consider the downsides of completely changing the System Settings from current user's perspectives.

I could go on and on.

It seems to me that Apple looks at Microsoft and Adobe and other software companies, and admires their rental software business models. So Apple's goals seem to have shifted from customer focused worthwhile products, to locking in Apple users and forcing them to purchase Apple devices in order to retain an Apple device they like using. IMO Apple would like to sell computers that had no internal storage and no connective storage ports. That way they could force Apple users to have to use Apple's rented Cloud services.

Reactions: maxoakland

georgivelev

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
BUUUUUUUT

- It’s extremely UNCOMFORTABLE. The first day I used it for 5 hours I think, until my face was hurting.

- The price is a joke, 4K USD IS SUPER EXPENSIVE for a device that has all this issues.
You have extremely big disposable money and extremely big disposable time. I take your post as a kind reminder not to believe everything forum members write.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
Yep. But the Vision Pro is innovation. But it's not customer focused. The lack of customer satisfaction have been discussed here
This is why I don’t admire Apple anymore. They used to be customer focused and it was so cool and exciting. Those days are gone and it leaves a lot to be desired

Reactions: Seamaster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.