Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today unveiled the M4 chip, its newest system on a chip for the 2024 iPad Pro lineup.

f-10157b8614334113470339875ff78668348974ef-1.jpg

Apple said that the M4 chip features a new up-to-10-core CPU of up to four performance cores and six efficiency cores. The M4 chip comes in two different models: the 9-core CPU with 3 performance cores and 6 efficiency cores (for 256GB and 512GB iPad Pro), and 10-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 6 efficiency cores (for 1TB and 2TB iPad Pro).

The M4 chip is built with second-generation 3nm technology and features a new display engine. It delivers up to 50% faster CPU performance than the M2 in the previous ‌iPad Pro‌ and four-times faster rendering performance.

For performance in gaming, the M4 chip features Dynamic Caching that helps significantly increases performance for demanding pro apps and games. It also enables hardware-accelerated ray tracing on iPad for the first time.

Finally, the M4 includes a Neural Engine that fuels accelerated AI workloads. Apple mentioned that this is the company's most powerful Neural Engine ever, capable of 38 trillion operations per second and helping users accomplish AI tasks quickly on the iPad Pro.

For more details about the 2024 iPad Pro, be sure to read our full post on the new tablets.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Next-Generation M4 Chip

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Looks like the biggest functional changes over the M3 are in the display controllers, and moving to adding one or two efficiency cores.

The efficiency cores take up much less space the the performance cores, which is why I expect we won't see big jumps in performances cores for M4 (save some possible M4 Ultra.)

DrWojtek

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2023
Now I think we see M4 Max and M4 Ultra in the next version of Apple Studio next month at WWDC. A M4 Ultra as well, or maybe something even more powerful in the Mac Pro.
If that happens, the M2 and M3 really were delayed and now they are back on track for a 12 month release every WWDC, which makes perfect sense.

I also got the feeling the iPad will get macOS support with the next OS. Why else do the new mac-like keyboard?

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
It’s a very minor update overall (from m3; for MacBook/studio folks) and a substantial one from m2.

They basically took the M3 redesigned CPU/GPU architecture and slapped on a new display engine and the A17 Pro’s neural engine which runs already at 35 Tops. People forget Apple has had “AI” logic in their chips for ages. The only real new “AI”
For them will be generative AI. They’re already well positioned to support that on existing hardware.

It also seems they increase the core counts or the change in the the increase in CPU speed, including the increase in core counts over M2 is about the same as M3 was considering the same amount of core increases. They may have been some slight speed improvements.

So what you’re looking at for an M3 with a better neural engine.

Marek5069

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
Well, I was wrong about Apple launching the iPad w/ M4. I am curious to see how it stacks against the M3, it is interesting that all comparisons are vs M2. As a recent purchaser of a loaded M3 Max MBP, I am a bit miffed, not so much about the tech being potentially passed up, but specifically about missing out on the enhanced AI HW for when I'm messing around w/ NNs and ML.

blastdoor

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2022
M4 looks like a perfectly cromulent update -- two more efficiency CPU cores and the better NPU that debuted in the high-end iPhone last year. But I bet the biggest improvement from Apple's point of view is that N3E is more cost-effective than N3B.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
If that happens, the M2 and M3 really were delayed and now they are back on track for a 12 month release every WWDC, which makes perfect sense.

I also got the feeling the iPad will get macOS support with the next OS. Why else do the new mac-like keyboard?

Well, for one: All other third party keyboards have had function rows for quite a few years now on iPad. I don't think having it added now would entail MacOS ever coming to the iPad line.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Correct me if I’m wrong, but when has the iPad EVER had the most advanced SOC when the iPhone (and now Mac) hasn’t?

EDIT: I’ve been corrected, the iPad was first to have the A4 and A5 chips before the iPhone.

I thought that rumor was VERY far-fetched, but… the M4 iPad Pro is real. Was there an issue with getting the M3 into it? Thermal problem? Battery?

Last edited:

Nozgog

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2019
M4 looks like a perfectly cromulent update -- two more efficiency CPU cores and the better NPU that debuted in the high-end iPhone last year. But I bet the biggest improvement from Apple's point of view is that N3E is more cost-effective than N3B.
Yeah the question is: is this N3E oder N3P

Reactions: kalafalas

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Poor MacBook Airs are now slower than an IPAD.
Apple Silicon is generally so fast, that most of Apples customers wont know or care. Only a small subset of customers will utilise this to its fullest potential.

I have Apple Silicon… but my old Mac Mini is on intel… and when i switch between it and M2 Macbook Air doing regular productivity (thats not data processing intensive)… i dont notice. It just works basically.

(Actually, microsoft 365 boots up faster on my intel Mac than my Apple Silicon Mac…. Don't tell anyone though 🙄🤨🤔)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.