Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Context

One hour ago Musk tweeted the following including this screenshot of a lengthy text about findings on advertising placements:

"The split second court opens on Monday, X Corp will be filing a thermonuclear lawsuit against Media Matters and ALL those who colluded in this fraudulent attack on our company"

View attachment 2314007

and added

"Their board, their donors, their network of dark money, all of them …"

SLAPP suit, which is a classic tactic of big companies to suppress criticism, surprised he didnt reach for this sooner honestly. He’s going to lose, but it will sapp money from those he sues, and that’s really the main goal, to chill criticism by making it expensive

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
The irony. Musk bought Twitter to stop this madness. He bought it because he didn't like that a small group of PC extremists were able to control what nearly three-hundred-and-fifty-million people were saying/doing. And here is Apple, raising their hands like... hey, look at us! We're in that group too!
You think that it’s too PC for apple to not want to run ads on a platform that is becoming a bastion of neo-nazi content egged on by the CEO being, at the most charitable, an edgy troll?

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
“I am deeply offended by ADL’s messaging and any other groups who push de facto anti-white racism or anti-Asian racism or racism of any kind,” he said. “I’m sick of it. Stop now,”
It’s a bit more than that though, because you need to read the whole chain he was replying to for the extra context on pro-hitler content. Hell, even if he didnt mean to promote that part (which, given how he doubled down later, as posted just above your comment in this thread, is doubtful) the algorithms on his platform did that work anyway. Him tweeting it elevated neo-nazi content across twitter. That’s a platform problem, and the backlash that anyone with any sense would expect is advertisers pulling their dollars from that platform

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
You think that it’s too PC for apple to not want to run ads on a platform that is becoming a bastion of neo-nazi content egged on by the CEO being, at the most charitable, an edgy troll?

Yeah I think it's funny that Twitter puts an end to the supposed "echo chamber" and it immediately becomes overrun with Naziism and white supremacy. It's like, true colors show themselves awfully quickly, don't they?

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
I don't do social media so does X, Facebook and others compartmentalise subjects like this site does?

So if you don't want to take part in conversations like this you can just choose to ignore it and go to another section?

Reactions: siri_3005 and jaymc

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I don't do social media so does X, Facebook and others compartmentalise subjects like this site does?

So if you don't want to take part in conversations like this you can just choose to ignore it and go to another section?
Nope for twitter X, and on top of it they added a special category for Musk, so literally everyone sees his tweets. Musk even has been trying to stop the capability to block or mute people you dont want to interact with

Facebook is a bit better, between user tools and groups you can pretty well avoid this stuff

ceriess

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003

Apple is pausing all of its advertising on social network X, formerly known as Twitter, reports Axios. The decision comes following antisemitic remarks that Musk made on Wednesday.

X-twitter-logo.jpg

After advertisers fled from X after Musk's takeover of the social network, Apple continued to pay for ad spots, and has been one of the Twitter's largest ad partners. Back in March, Musk thanked Apple for its support, calling the company one of Twitter's "biggest advertisers."

Apple did temporarily pause ads on Twitter back in November 2022, which spurred Musk to lash out and ask if Apple hated "free speech." Musk also said that Apple had threatened to remove Twitter from the App Store, and said that he would "make an alternative phone" if the social network was ultimately pulled.

The dispute was resolved after Musk met with Cook at Apple Park later that year, after which Musk claimed that Apple had in fact never threatened to remove Twitter from the App Store and that it was a "misunderstanding." Musk ultimately called it a "good conversation," and after that point, Apple "fully resumed" advertising. Reports in 2022 suggested Apple was spending more than $100 million per year on Twitter ads.

With Musk's latest comments, and evidence that X is showing Apple ads alongside pro-Hitler content, it is unclear if Apple will be convinced to resume advertising again sometime in the future. Apple CEO Tim Cook in September said that Apple is "constantly" evaluating whether Apple should be buying ads on the social network.

Apple is not the only company pulling out of Twitter ads. IBM said this week that it is pulling ads, and the European Union also no longer plans to advertise on the social network. The White House earlier today condemned Musk's comments, and X employees told The New York Times that it has been fielding calls from other companies upset with Musk.

Article Link: Apple Pausing Advertising on X Following Latest Elon Musk Controversy
Could you imagine taking delivery of a cybertruck now? Lol…

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
just say liberal echo chamber, it's closer to the truth of what you're looking for after all.
I do not want an echo chamber, I just want people who don't lie through their teeth, just because they can get away with it on the internet or it makes them money. And like a lot of people. I'm a little bit left and a little bit right.

Reactions: tubular

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Zenith, Sylvania, RCA, Magnavox, Motorola. All US brands of televisions. Radios were also made by those brands. All manufactured from the ground up to being purchased right here in the USA. Later VCR's were branded with these names but they were manufactured over there. They stopped making televisions and just put their name on TV's made over there.

What kind of "American" power tools do you own, DEWALT, Milwaukee, Black & Decker, Stanley? Every power tool like that on the shelves of the big box store is made in China by one of two Chinese companies.

Microwave ovens? GE, Whirlpool etc. made by one of two Chinese companies over there. No matter how high end and expensive.

The "American" cars sold are mostly made outside the USA, whether they are wholly imported or just assembled here from parts made mostly over there. We used to manufacture the entire car here. Every nut, bolt and wire and piece of rubber. We imported rubber and turned the rubber into higher value finished products.

Now we cut down trees and ship the lumber over there along with other natural resources for the Chinese to produce the higher valued manufactured products. We are the third world colony supplying them.

THAT is what the Chinese officials meant when they scolded Blinken at that meeting in Alaska. Most of what Amazon sells is made in China. You can buy much of what's there directly from Chinese sellers on the internet like AliExpress.

This country is hollowed out and getting weaker by the month. Everyone can see it. The wealthy live in their self created bubble and keep the decay out of their sight.
OK. You’ve described a global ecosystem. One where demand in one place is accommodated by supply that is sourced, manufactured, assembled and distributed from other places — places with the capabilities and capacity to fulfill them most economically.

Those places of demand and supply are not fixed in stone. They consistently shift based on the dynamics of consumer preference, buying power, innovation, resources, regulation and other factors.

Producers, distributors and retailers around the world orchestrate complex systems to continuously align production of goods and services with consumer demand. Over time centers of production and demand shift from country to country. And those shifts have both positive and negative consequences for jobs and livelihoods in impacted countries.

This is called capitalism.

So, what is the problem? And more importantly, what is the solution to “this country” being “hollowed out” besides stepping up competitively?

Last edited:

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

A global town square is — global.

The fact that you are asking this question on MR about a topic on Twitter demonstrates the feebleness of the “compartmentalization” “just don’t follow people you wish to ignore” argument.

Twitter is an ad-supported platform. If that mythical compartmentalization was feasible advertising reach would be dramatically reduced and the platform would collapse.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
I'm glad Musk doesn't make computers or phones.

Because then they might catch fire and blow up.

And they might have a Nazi symbol for a logo just so he can own the libs.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023

Not good when so called town square is being financed by an offshore crypto exchange that might be secretly owned by the Chinese government and is getting money from the same family that funded 9/11.

Such backers might want chaos....just saying.

Reactions: heretiq and tubular

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021

The fact that you are asking this question on MR about a topic on Twitter demonstrates the feebleness of the “compartmentalization” “just don’t follow people you wish to ignore” argument.

Twitter is an ad-supported platform. If that mythical compartmentalization was feasible advertising reach would be dramatically reduced and the platform would collapse.

The one thing I learned about in paper newspapers - old guy here - is that as soon as you get big advertising accounts, it then starts to change the editorial side of things so as not to lose those accounts.

Musk knows this and is why he is trying to divest X from the advertising model. It’s an interesting ride so far, if he can do this he has a chance to truly have that global town hall without any “big money” influence.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I do not want an echo chamber, I just want people who don't lie through their teeth, just because they can get away with it on the internet or it makes them money. And like a lot of people. I'm a little bit left and a little bit right.
Same here. I don't want an echo chamber (to echo what you've said), I want a place where I can be pretty sure that racist wackos vomiting antisemitism and Holocaust denial into the site are cleared out and aren't actually literally lauded and promoted by the owner. You don't have to be some sort of John Lennon lefty to find antisemitism a deal-killer.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Musk knows this and is why he is trying to divest X from the advertising model. It’s an interesting ride so far, if he can do this he has a chance to truly have that global town hall without any “big money” influence.
But overt racism doesn't just drive off advertisers. It drives off users too. It's a spiral -- the sanes leave, the crazies get crazier, more sanes leave, the crazies get crazier.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The one thing I learned about in paper newspapers - old guy here - is that as soon as you get big advertising accounts, it then starts to change the editorial side of things so as not to lose those accounts.

Who's going to fund that "global town hall"? Subscriptions from right wing trolls? Maybe he intends to fire the rest of the X staff and replace them with chat bots? Meanwhile, X owes about $13B to various banks, which it has to pay interest on, out of its cashflow; if X misses a payment, Elon loses ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.