Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
The one thing I learned about in paper newspapers - old guy here - is that as soon as you get big advertising accounts, it then starts to change the editorial side of things so as not to lose those accounts.

Musk knows this and is why he is trying to divest X from the advertising model. It’s an interesting ride so far, if he can do this he has a chance to truly have that global town hall without any “big money” influence.
Well said. Based on what Musk has shown us, the “big money” influence is the only thing keeping his worst impulses mildly in check. I think we’re seeing the contours of this unchecked global town hall and it’s not reassuring.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
The funny part is that Elmo tells us he's trying to position X as an all-purpose site including financial services. Because nothing says Trust Me With Your Money more than simultaneously saying "racists not welcome" and "Here's a great Jew-hating post I'm sure you'll enjoy." Elmo won't be growing X into a service platform. He'll be burying it at sea.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Elon’s comment had zero antisemitism to it and was 100% factually correct.

This is just another case of leftist lunatics canceling anything they disagree with.

And, to be even more precise, this is the left *pretending* they are outraged. The ads will return in short order after they’ve moved on to the next thing they are fake angry about.

That’s what people should actually be angry about. If you are going to take a stand and remove revenue, then said stand should last longer than a week. This is just a fake outrage then reverse course situation. Rinse and repeat.
OK, I'm reading this on Nov 18, 2023. If the ads don't reappear as you predict, in say, 3 months (Feb 18, 2024) are you going to come back here and admit you were wrong? Would you prefer another deadline?

• Haha
Reactions: siri_3005

ThaGoochiestMane

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2020
Fwiw, Elon has insisted these claims are fabricated and says he'll be launching a lawsuit against Media Matters on Monday
Advertisers are leaving because of him. The things he has said, the things he has done, and the things they're worried he will do.

Perhaps he has insulated himself with too many of his own fans, perhaps he is somewhat stupid, or perhaps he's being deliberately naive with regards to the reason; regardless, his inability to realize what is causing advertisers to leave is remarkable.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
It’s worth noting that Microsoft and Sony have recently pulled out as well. Many big companies are gone. I think it’s safe to assume that he’s pretty much ruined the platform. His “let that sink in” has a whole new meaning now. It’s definitely sinking lol
Lmao. Wrong. You all said the same thing months ago on several different occasions. What happened to X is finished because Elon took over and "Threads" is taking over?

HAHA!

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Fragments of it, yes. Elmo's Blam-a-Rama Rocket is the first thing ever to make me glad I'm not an astronaut.
It’s only the second launch!

Seriously there is no criticism here, the latest launch was a success. As it stands now you can send 100 people at a time into space. Musk has 5 launches left this year so expect another launch soon…

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
But overt racism doesn't just drive off advertisers. It drives off users too. It's a spiral -- the sanes leave, the crazies get crazier, more sanes leave, the crazies get crazier.

Racism is in the advertising dollars on the web!

At YouTube check out the payouts for Western views as opposed to the same number in India. India has a far lower payout as per advertising via views and that alters the algorithm accordingly. Third world viewpoints will be different than your own. If you move into the international sphere you will see everyone has a different view on who won WW2 and so on. Western folk are in for a shock if Musk’s goal of a true town hall becomes flesh.

Everyone thinks their viewpoint is the truth. The real goal is to hear all sides and make an informed decision on a topic. Censoring one side to keep advertising dollars coming in does not get you to that informed viewpoint. Like it or not, free speech means hearing things you don’t agree with…

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Who's going to fund that "global town hall"? Subscriptions from right wing trolls? Maybe he intends to fire the rest of the X staff and replace them with chat bots? Meanwhile, X owes about $13B to various banks, which it has to pay interest on, out of its cashflow; if X misses a payment, Elon loses ownership.

I know of nobody better equipped than Musk to make this happen. Musk owns a little more than half of X so the banks and other investors still have their investment covered as Musk does not have to pay himself. What, he is now valued at 217 billion?

He’s not worried…

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Why do they keep "pausing" these ads and then going back? It's concerning to me that they continue to support such an anti-semitic company

Elon has clearly demonstrated he's anti-semitic. Why does Apple feel the need to go back?
Why? Just because he doesn’t support Israel committing genocide?

• Wow
Reactions: RokinAmerica

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
It’s only the second launch!

Seriously there is no criticism here, the latest launch was a success. As it stands now you can send 100 people at a time into space. Musk has 5 launches left this year so expect another launch soon…
The issue is not that the rocket exploded. Rockets explode, new rockets explode often. That’s what happens when you develop rockets, it is an unsurprising consequence. The BIG problem is their unwillingness to acknowledge that when a rocket explodes it is a FAILURE. SpaceX has called both of these Starships explosions successes. You can (and are expected to) learn from failures. An unwillingness to acknowledge a failure is a serious deficiency.

Cheering someone else failure is disgusting.

Cheering your own failure is deranged.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
The issue is not that the rocket exploded. Rockets explode, new rockets explode often. That’s what happens when you develop rockets, it is an unsurprising consequence. The BIG problem is their unwillingness to acknowledge that when a rocket explodes it is a FAILURE. SpaceX has called both of these Starships explosions successes. You can (and are expected to) learn from failures. An unwillingness to acknowledge a failure is a serious deficiency.

Cheering someone else failure is disgusting.

Cheering your own failure is deranged.

People cheering failure:

Senator Bill Nelson - X

Jim Free - X

But - whatever…

Reactions: iLOLWUT

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Yeah, I put him on ignore. Happy to discuss in good faith. He warn’t it.
And by the way, I can't help but notice someone who joined this forum literally twenty minutes ago apparently only to put thumbs-down on my posts. It's almost as if they know Elmo isn't defensible, that he's totally transparently wrong on the ADL, and have nothing going for them but flinging gestures.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
A global town square is — global.

The fact that you are asking this question on MR about a topic on Twitter demonstrates the feebleness of the “compartmentalization” “just don’t follow people you wish to ignore” argument.

Twitter is an ad-supported platform. If that mythical compartmentalization was feasible advertising reach would be dramatically reduced and the platform would collapse.
I received a decent response to my question from someone else so now I will deal with yours.

I understand the global town square principle. Free speech is a good thing and I encourage it but the fact that I do not always want it in my face leads me to question how it is presented and what options are open to me to avoid it if I choose.

I agree it is about advertising, revenue and profit. I was just looking for a little filtered choice if it was available.

If not then I guess I have to filter myself which is fine.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
And by the way, I can't help but notice someone who joined this forum literally twenty minutes ago apparently only to put thumbs-down on my posts. It's almost as if they know Elmo isn't defensible, that he's totally transparently wrong on the ADL, and have nothing going for them but flinging gestures.
To be fair. This thread is in Political News section, and as a result only MR participants that already have 100 posts are allowed to post on this thread. But anyone can read and 👍🏼 👎🏼 as a response.

Reactions: tubular

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
To be fair. This thread is in Political News section, and as a result only MR participants that already have 100 posts are allowed to post on this thread. But anyone can read and 👍🏼 👎🏼 as a response.
Okay.

Well, then, guess I'll see you in a hundred posts, thumbs-down guy, and see whether you still do that to anyone who reminds you how excruciatingly, bone-crunchingly wrong Musk is about the ADL.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Guy buys a media platform in order to spread his own twisted agenda. So what?

This can be costly though LOL

Last edited:

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
Feeling an SNL Weekend Update moment.

Donald Trump gave evidence under oath last week in the civil case against him except that it probably wasn't actually under oath as the bibles burst into flames when he touched them..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.