Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today previewed new accessibility features coming with iOS 18 later this year, and this includes some new options for CarPlay.

CarPlay-Sound-Recognition.jpg

Apple highlighted three new features coming to CarPlay:

• Voice Control: This feature will allow users to navigate CarPlay and control apps with just their voice.
  • Color Filters: This feature will make the CarPlay interface visually easier to use for individuals with color blindness.
  • Sound Recognition: This feature will enable drivers or passengers who are deaf or hard of hearing to receive notifications on CarPlay for driving-related sounds, such as car horns and sirens.
All three of these features are already available on the iPhone and iPad.

iOS 18 is expected to be unveiled at Apple's developers conference WWDC on June 10, and the update should be widely released in September.

Article Link: Apple Previews Three New CarPlay Features Coming With iOS 18

Reactions: SFjohn and CalMin

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Really wish they'd add weather integration, so that the car can warn you when you are about to enter rain.
There are some map apps that have added weather, not sure if this will last or it was just a loop hole.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Too bad so many manufacturers see CarPlay as a threat. They try to use technology as a differentiator, but most of them suck at it and we end up with confusing vehicle UI that are different in every car. They also want to use upgraded tech as a reason to buy a new car which is why this year's radio would never fit into last year's car...

CarPlay / Android Auto solves the UI mess and most of us have phones now and want to bring over OUR info., media and apps into the driving experience. I haven't bought a new car for a while now, but I certainly won't be buying one without CarPlay.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
How about large buttons that allow you to easily navigate the interface? How about you let me click an album cover and see the songs on the album to select one or just play the album?

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
I hope that finally we'll see a revamped backend when it comes to apple music.
I like everything else about the service, but I cannot accept operations lagging for a few seconds on a 128GB M1 Ultra.
Even just simply playing a song, or changing the name of a playlist hangs for 2,3 seconds.
Not every single time, but it happens often enough to really be annoying.

If apple would fix their backend, their music service would be perfect.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Wildly underwhelming.
Today's annoucnements are focused on accessibility.

Hopefully, WWDC will announce new CarPlay features for the masses, and not just for a handful of "next generation CarPlay" vehicles.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
voice control! surprised this wasn’t added to CarPlay earlier. with the amount of manufacturers switching to all-touch instead of mechanical knobs, that’s a much-appreciated antidote to automakers’ stupidity.

anyone in this thread buying a GM car soon? 🤣 (iykyk)

Dble07

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2022
I hope that add the ability to show all garage doors. And I would like the ability to pick a song within a playlist from the home section of Apple Music. As it stands now you can do that from the playlist section, but when you select a playlist from the Home tab it auto starts to play the playlist from the beginning.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Wildly underwhelming.

Not to take away from the accessibility features -- good for those individuals

However, otherwise, I agree mostly underwhelming. Outside of Carplay's total vehicle support for ultra-expensive vehicles (at the moment), the single-screen OS hasn't seen any significant changes in some time.

And, honestly, I am not certain what else you could do with Carplay so maybe I am making more of this than I should. However, I was hoping for something more -- especially with the next operating system being almost completely AI driven.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
I’m stoked for the color filters! Would be awesome to use a red filter at night like i do on my phone, I hope the custom filters are available not just the ones for color blindness

Reactions: Abbababba

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Can we please just have the ability to enable some kind of "Car Play Mode" directly on device? Mount phone horizontal and connect audio via bluetooth.

Reactions: Rico-Suave

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
How about you let me click an album cover and see the songs on the album to select one or just play the album?
Isn't that on the audio app rather than CarPlay? Unless Apple has very stringent UX rules for CarPlay I don't see why a music app couldn't do this already.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
You can’t tell just by looking? I can easily see where it’s raining from a slight distance.

You sound like you live in flatland.

Meanwhile, for those of us who live where there's terrain would find it helpful.

And weather along your route would be helpful, it would be nice to know that even though it's sunny and warm where you are, 100 miles down the road it's snowing.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You can’t tell just by looking? I can easily see where it’s raining from a slight distance.
I drove from SC to CT two days ago. Sure I could see that there would be some rain, but some spots it was unexpectedly torrential, other spots looked ominous but not a drop of rain.

When driving unfamiliar streets, especially in congested areas, the last thing I’m doing is focusing on the clouds and instead am worried about the various jerks doing 90 on their phones…

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I hope this popup on their phone also, so they see it while texting and driving...

I wish Apple could invest in fixing hearing (biologically) for all people fix hearing problems so no one who doesn't want to be deaf have hearing-loss can hear! Hearing related issues sucks.

The interest for music and hi-fi I had isn't on the same level anymore since I got trouble = less money will be invested into these things. I think to maximize the appreciation for music (and not to say the sounds of nature during all of life we need to keep people's ears in shape also when we get older. And keep a healthy listening habits when we're young:

Sorry I digress but it's really important stuff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.