Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Cool! Now, all I need is a car newer than the birth of YouTube! We’re half way there!

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
I hope that finally we'll see a revamped backend when it comes to apple music.
I like everything else about the service, but I cannot accept operations lagging for a few seconds on a 128GB M1 Ultra.
Even just simply playing a song, or changing the name of a playlist hangs for 2,3 seconds.
Not every single time, but it happens often enough to really be annoying.

If apple would fix their backend, their music service would be perfect.
Are you sure that is the issue? Could it be your network? Or??

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Yeah, because you can never tell when you’re about to enter rain. It’s like dry, not a cloud in the sky and then boom instantaneously rain.
Yeah man, big difference between "it's about to rain a normal amount" and "you're driving into a very intense thunderstorm with low visibility and high winds" or "you're about to cross into an area where there's icing or snow". Super relevant to drivers, especially now that severe weather is more and more a fact of life.

Last edited:
Reactions: clayj

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Cool! Now, all I need is a car newer than the birth of YouTube! We’re half way there!
You don't! I just added a wireless CarPlay screen to my 2017 Accord and it's great. As long as you can figure out a place to stick it and a lighter plug, you're good. The one I got came with some cords to use if you need to run it through an AUX jack in the event your car doesn't have Bluetooth.

I had been using my phone for years and it was fine, but this was a huge upgrade. Best $250 I've spent in quite a while. (I know, there are $100 ones out there but they get mixed reviews. This one has 60 FPS and is nice and bright)

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
How about letting us pick where in the route to add a stop? It always inserts instead of appending.

Also, I would like to be able to play any song on my phone, not just select from “recent”.

Reactions: ignatius345

Todd Fisher

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, because you can never tell when you’re about to enter rain. It’s like dry, not a cloud in the sky and then boom instantaneously rain.
You obviously don't own a jeep. Weather radar apps are a pretty amazing option to have when you are running topless in the Tennessee summers. They help me from having to figure out where I need to dart to, to avoid a sudden downpour.

Reactions: clayj

loopi77

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
to me CarPlay has some essential flaws by design. that screenshot shows some of them in essence.

good technical integration alone does not generate acceptance by makers and users. there is absolutely no aesthetical integration - not by default, not possible to achieve in any way, because Apple doesn't change that attitude and habit of allowing close to nothing of customization.

Got my new Audi A6 V6 Quattro Avant, a masterpiece of engineering outside and inside. leather, polished matte steel inlays, gray wood, ambient lighting, everyone enjoys getting in that spaceship on wheels.
3 huge displays for an stunning experience of that perfect matching silkysmooth UX - as you would expect, and nothing else - in a 95.000 EUR car.

ah well, lets fire up CarPlay: the tablet sized HD screen lights up, filled with - yeah, well, tell me what is that? that 5x2 grid with icons as large, that Mr. Mole guy from Simpsons could use it without his glasses - each another color, floating above a wallpaper, a screen looking as Bob Ross did beat every single brush he owns on it and some guy vomitted on top.

Options, customizations, themes, styles. Cars have DESIGNS. Really, even INSIDE.
They shrink bezels by micrometers.
Such simple basic stuff like a simple monochrome mode with tinting, matching your interiors or instrument backlighting is impossible to think or implement. let me select the image I WANT to display on MY touchscreen. let me scale the icons! that damn display is the same size as my iPad and can hold as many icons as that.
its not that hard: CP must INTEGRATE VISUALLY, unobtrusive, as it belongs there naturally.

I don't want that kindergarten interface burning my retinas to dust, while pacing the Autobahn at 2 a.m.
I rather use the decent MMI player, does control Spotify and whatsoever the same way.

apologize if I may sound snobbish, but that's some aspect they really must consider, if they want premium carmakers to integrate CarPlay and mature people buying premium cars use it.
no one puts rainbow colored unicorn stickers in or on such cars, CP visually is exactly that.

betasp

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
to me CarPlay has some essential flaws by design. that screenshot shows some of them in essence.

good technical integration alone does not generate acceptance by makers and users. there is absolutely no aesthetical integration - not by default, not possible to achieve in any way, because Apple doesn't change that attitude and habit of allowing close to nothing of customization.

Got my new Audi A6 V6 Quattro Avant, a masterpiece of engineering outside and inside. leather, polished matte steel inlays, gray wood, ambient lighting, everyone enjoys getting in that spaceship on wheels.
3 huge displays for an stunning experience of that perfect matching silkysmooth UX - as you would expect, and nothing else - in a 95.000 EUR car.

ah well, lets fire up CarPlay: the tablet sized HD screen lights up, filled with - yeah, well, tell me what is that? that 5x2 grid with icons as large, that Mr. Mole guy from Simpsons could use it without his glasses - each another color, floating above a wallpaper, a screen looking as Bob Ross did beat every single brush he owns on it and some guy vomitted on top.

Options, customizations, themes, styles. Cars have DESIGNS. Really, even INSIDE.
Such simple basic stuff like a simple monochrome mode with tinting, matching your interiors or instrument backlighting is impossible to think or implement. let me select the image I WANT to display on MY touchscreen. let me scale the icons! that damn display is the same size as my iPad and can hold as many icons as that.
its not that hard: CP must INTEGRATE VISUALLY, unobtrusive, as it belongs there naturally.

I don't want that kindergarten interface burning my retinas to dust, while pacing the Autobahn at 2 a.m.
I rather use the decent MMI player, does control Spotify and whatsoever the same way.

apologize if I may sound snobbish, but that's some aspect they really must consider, if they want premium carmakers to integrate CarPlay and mature people buying premium cars use it.
no one puts rainbow colored unicorn stickers in or on such cars, CP visually is exactly that.
And to think you spent that much on a car that can’t offer comparable features where you don’t need to use CarPlay.

The actual car company that should know exactly what you need and how you need it could not pull it off…

Reactions: AZhappyjack

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
And to think you spent that much on a car that can’t offer comparable features where you don’t need to use CarPlay.

The actual car company that should know exactly what you need and how you need it could not pull it off…

Absolutely. I have a VW Arteon. 2 screens, not that large, utilitarian but clean UX, and CarPlay still looks childish and silly. I like your monochrome or maybe duochrome idea. Sync it to the color you choose for ambient lighting, on a night mode background. That would look sharp. Ambient light pale green? CarPlay accent colors pale green. Ambient lighting shocking blue? Accents in shocking blue. Would it be that hard?

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Hopefully it will be launched this year and not just before iOS 19 launches.

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Too bad so many manufacturers see CarPlay as a threat. They try to use technology as a differentiator, but most of them suck at it and we end up with confusing vehicle UI that are different in every car. They also want to use upgraded tech as a reason to buy a new car which is why this year's radio would never fit into last year's car...

CarPlay / Android Auto solves the UI mess and most of us have phones now and want to bring over OUR info., media and apps into the driving experience. I haven't bought a new car for a while now, but I certainly won't be buying one without CarPlay.
Yup, just so sad how many look at it as a threat as they're like "Oh, we can be so much better with our own UI!"

Looking at you, GM (who I'll never get a vehicle from thanks to their nixing of CarPlay in future vehicles)

Reactions: CalMin

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Hopefully it will be launched this year and not just before iOS 19 launches.
I mean, since this is saying that these features are coming with iOS 18, the hope is that most if not all these features will come out the gate

I don't blame you for thinking that though, as the rollout of the "new CarPlay" that takes over all the dash has been a very slow rollout

loopi77

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017

please read my post again.
you missed that I don't use CarPlay, instead the native car MMI because it does all CarPlay offers AND looks sleek.

you really think, AUDI doesn't integrate navigation, messaging, radio and media streaming, voice control?
google some image of current A6 cockpit - I talk 2024 not 2004 model if you didn't realize.

... 3 huge displays for an stunning experience of that perfect matching silkysmooth UX ...

Last edited:

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Why would you need to be warned about that? You should be easily able to cope with a transition to rain. Even if there was a warning, then so what? What can you do about it?
With a little warning, you can get your car off the highway and find a restaurant or rest stop to stay at while the storm passes. Not everyone is good at driving in the rain.

LOVE the dismissive attitude from certain people around here. :rolleyes:

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
With a little warning, you can get your car off the highway and find a restaurant or rest stop to stay at while the storm passes. Not everyone is good at driving in the rain.

LOVE the dismissive attitude from certain people around here. :rolleyes:
I don’t think anyone is deliberately trying to be dismissive, it’s just that the parameters necessary for this to work don’t seem practical.

For the rain storm example, just what rate of rainfall would each individual consider “too much” to drive in? AFAIK a rain shower is far from consistent regarding precipitation rate over the covered area and over time. I’m not sure we can get forecast more accurate than “x inches (US) of rain are possible over y amount of time for a given area”. This does not mean the specific shower you may be driving into will dump that amount of rain.

I suppose if someone wants to avoid driving in any amount of rain at all costs, this might be useful, but otherwise, it just seems there are way too many variables.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
You can add a new head unit (even one with Wireless CarPlay) to most cars at a reasonable price. Even the labor to install it is probably less than you expect. And you can, at the same time, usually get other goodies added like a backup camera.

Look into it; it's a nice upgrade for your car if you'll be driving it for a few more years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.