Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
  • Leather production involves the use of several chemicals, such as chromium, formaldehyde, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
  • Chromium is used in the tanning process to make the leather more durable and resistant to water. However, it is a toxic metal that can cause cancer and other health problems when inhaled.
  • Formaldehyde is used to preserve the leather and prevent it from decaying. However, it is a known carcinogen and can cause respiratory problems.
  • VOCs are released from various chemicals used in the leather production process, such as adhesives, dyes, and solvents. These can cause respiratory problems, headaches, and other health problems.
It's not the little bit of trash in your hand at the end of the day it's the massive amounts of chemicals that release into Chinese waterways from these Chinese leather manufacturers. Not to mention apples leather was the cheapest semi-aniline leather with a paint covering. Truly paper thin and all which you can touch and feel is plastic.
The average person has a credit card worth of plastic inside them. On top of all the garbage chemicals and such in all the highly processed food people eat daily. Leather is the least of the worries here.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Where are you, FineWoven defenders? Come and fight me like a man! (or if like me, machine)
When the FineWoven cases were first released, I said that the only two problems with it were:
  1. It was a replacement for a leather option (not another option)
  2. Price (too expensive, even for Apple)
It was a good test for Apple to see how far they could go with manipulating the Apple-faithful. $20 cleaning cloth, $700 Mac Pro wheels, $1000 Pro Display stand, $160 3m Thunderbolt cable, etc.

They learned what the limit is for iPhone cases. 😁

Reactions: Timpetus

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
I'll stick with no cases. It's nice not having to worry about Apple's revolving door of case materials.

leonremi

macrumors member
May 12, 2017
Not going to happen because that would be much more expensive, and it would even be more embarrassing than Apple quietly discontinuing a product.

Also, I wonder what the environmental impact differences between natural leather and whatever plastic Apple used when it comes to manufacturing these cases and their end of life at a landfill. I suspect natural leather would be much more environmentally friendly. I wonder if the plastic Apple used isn’t so bad because they designed it to deteriorate rather than around forever. That could be causing the durability issue, but that’s just speculation on my part. These cases might be just as bad as other plastic items.
FineWoven is crap but the leather cases from Apple were also rather ******...some slim low grade leather over a plastic shell.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Plenty of people here look after their cases and have had no problems. Criticising it is petty and foolish IMO. People should get over it and buy their leather case from somewhere else. Apple couldn’t care.

Kind of sounds like Apple cares…

I mean of they are stopping production of finewoven cases, isn’t that an indication that a) Apple cares and b) the finewoven cases have been a total failure?

Reactions: SactoGuy18

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
BTW, The U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention found that the incidence of leukemia was five times the U.S. average alongside a tannery.
I haven't trusted the CDC since 2021 so I can't entirely take their claims at face value without considering the political corruption they may be involved in to push an agenda

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Discontinued due to poor durability? How did it take Apple six months to figure that out? It took most people six seconds after putting it on their phone and scratching it with their fingernails that this product has serious durability issues.

Reactions: SactoGuy18

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Discontinued due to poor durability? How did it take Apple six months to figure that out? It took most people six seconds after putting it on their phone and scratching it with their fingernails that this product has serious durability issues.
Hence the reason why I end up with a fairly expensive Casetify case for my iPhone 16 Plus when that arrives this fall.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
As opposed to the infinite legacy of micro plastics in our world and food chain. While there are less toxic methods of tanning leather, anything produced in the hundreds of million units is hard to do as cleanly as something produced in the thousands or even tens of thousands.
Yes, exactly. Leather requires breeding of cattle. This is the number one industry responsible for crop contamination, global warming, obesity and heart disease, and prevention of more efficient use of farmland. Micro plastics are a real problem, no doubt. Both should be addressed, but I'm not holding my breath.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Bullstrap cases are amazing. Expensive, but, you get two free replacements a year. I've never had to use that service though, they're exceptionally well made.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
The Apple cases feel great in a way that 3rd party cases do not.
I have been buying Apple cases (leather, then finewoven, not silicone) since they started, whereas my GF chooses some random 3rd party case that catches her fancy, and, IMHO, the Apple cases are just so much nicer. Feel good in the hand, thinner and lighter, small details that are barely noticed but matter (like how the buttons feel), and are well worth the price.

As for Finewoven, I don't know. Maybe other people treat their cases really badly, or often get them wet or something?
Maybe I'll be singing a different tune in a year, but after, what, 6 months or so of use I still love my Finewoven case. It feels even better in the hand than the leather case, and I see no signs of degradation.

You've probably just been using the wrong 3rd party cases. Compared to good brands, Apple cases are not a good value. It's not that other brands are cheaper because they're not. It's just the quality is so much better than Apple cases.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
Can people stop using the term 'Vegan Leather'. Its friggin plastic.

A super Quick Look on the Telfar website - the fake leather is 60% Polyurethane, 40% Polyester. FFS.
I'm not talking about the $15 "vegan leather" (plastic) Chinese cases from Amazon.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I absolutely love the fine woven, so soft and light! Anyone know when they will be gone??

Reelmower

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2019
My Spigen one for my iPhone 11 Pro lasted 3 years before I got my 15 Pro, do you chew on them?
I buy Spigen also. Never had one wear out. My Rugged Armor iPhone 13 mini case looks like new. Given that there probably won’t be another mini, I’m hoping this phone and case last a very long time.

Reactions: decypher44 and mdnz

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i feel like my biggest problem with finewoven, is apple saying it feels just like leather. that kind of gaslight is just not necessary.

also if you watn to replace leather, fine. there's really no need to replace it with something that "feels like leather".

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.