Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stymyx

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2023
Geez Apple. How about using leather? Oops, forgot that worked too well and you dumped it.
They'll never go back to leather. To do so would anger the small minority of the population that they ditched leather for in the first place.

Ilde

macrumors member
May 4, 2022
I hope Apple consider a FineWoven trade in period to somehow compensate all that users who bought any of that scrap (whatever hell it is made from).

thewill586

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
It would be ideal for Apple to use genuine apple leather made from the leftovers of apple processing, i.e. the fruit:
This is a PU hybrid and likely not the best for the environment either.

Leather use a lot of nasty of chemicals to make it and get it to a color.

babalougots

macrumors regular
May 5, 2021
Great thread. Lots of passion about a phone case. I have the Finewoven case and wallet in black and like the combo. I was never a fan of the leather case and used the silicone case so for $10 more the Finewoven was worth to me and the Finewoven is better than the silicone IMHO. Certainly understand why people are pissed, though.

Is an Apple case overpriced? Yep... all of them are overpriced. Kudos to Apple for listening and responding with the production halt. Onward to the next iteration!

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
They should refund the customers who bought the POS. Better yet, I hope someone brings a class action lawsuit against Apple, it’s quite possibly the worst product Apple has ever sold.

Reactions: M0rpheus

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Love the Apple leather case I got for my 12 mini for $17. About 2 years old now and wearing very nicely. And oh so slim. I liked it so much, I found the 13 mini for my husband for about $23 on sale.

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
That’s good news. I saw a Finewoven case once at an Apple Store and it looked horrible. I’m sure there were a lot hands on it but it was not worth what they are charging. I still have my leather case on my 14 pro from launch and it’s holding up just fine.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
This was definitely 2 missteps:

1. Stopping leather products and

2. Fine woven just doesn’t seem to be a good product. Some say it is and that’s fine, everyone has their own experiences and opinions, but the overwhelming negativity definitely seems to be a “where there’s smoke there’s fire” situation.

Reactions: M0rpheus

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
Anything to suggest they did?
Apple clearly thought that by not using leather, they would reduce the demand for cowhide, but my point is that as long as people eat beef, cows are going to be raised and slaughtered for their meat as well as their skins. I don't think some cows are killed only for their leather and other cows are killed only for their meat. So as long as cows are being eaten, we might as well use their hides.

Last edited:

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Apple clearly thought that by not using leather, they would reduce the demand for cowhide, but my point is that as long as people eat beef, cows are going to be raised and slaughtered for their meat as well as their skins. I don't think some cows are killed only for their leather and other cows are only killed for their meat. So as long as cows are being eaten, we might as well use their hides.
Where did they state that?

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

M0rpheus

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Apple clearly thought that by not using leather, they would reduce the demand for cowhide
About 85% of all the carbon emissions from leather come from raising the cattle, which is going to be done anyway for meat so Apple are falsely inflating their "impact" on climate change here by ditching leather. That's fine, that's their choice as a business to choose what materials they use or don't use, but we shouldn't pretend at all it's for anything except another delusion they try to sell to the public for their image that they are a "green" company when in practice they really aren't. And the FineWoven material is not a suitable durable replacement, so back to the drawing board they go!

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Apple clearly thought that by not using leather, they would reduce the demand for cowhide, but my point is that as long as people eat beef, cows are going to be raised and slaughtered for their meat as well as their skins. I don't think some cows are killed only for their leather and other cows are only killed for their meat. So as long as cows are being eaten, we might as well use their hides.

I think the vegans want us to use 'Vegan Leather', which is very noble of them to offer up their skins for phone cases, but I'm not sure what we'd do with the rest of them. Maybe feed them to crocodiles and use crocodile leather when we run out of vegans?

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I have been using the Leather cases from Apple since the iPhone 5. I have been impressed with their quality and therefore value.
I still have my Leather case on my 14Pro. I will struggle to find a good case when I upgrade to the 17Pro.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
About 85% of all the carbon emissions from leather come from raising the cattle, which is going to be done anyway for meat so Apple are falsely inflating their "impact" on climate change here by ditching leather. That's fine, that's their choice as a business to choose what materials they use or don't use, but we shouldn't pretend at all it's for anything except another delusion they try to sell to the public for their image that they are a "green" company when in practice they really aren't. And the FineWoven material is not a suitable durable replacement, so back to the drawing board they go!
I couldn't agree more. It's all about virtue signaling.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Actions speak louder than words. Apple clearly stated it with their actions. Sometimes you have to read between the lines.
So it’s what you think that might have been would they could have meant when they changed a product line. Okay, good point. Nice way to read between the lines. Very artistic of you.

Last edited:

Dreadpirateflappy

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
Anyone who's bought a Bible recently will have observed that some of the new premium fake leathers like Thomas Nelson's "Leathersoft" are virtually indistinguishable from the real thing and just as hard wearing. That's surely the answer.
People buy bibles and don't just steal them from hotels?? Surely car seats would have been a better example? as most modern car seats are fake leather and indistinguishable from real.

Dreadpirateflappy

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
I wonder why they’d cancel this when they’ve sold dozens of them already? 😂

So you mean that people won’t always buy into the Apple hype? I guess people are learning.
With this and the awful Apple vision pro, I wonder if the apple cultists might wake up soon that not everything Apple makes is the best?
I love many Apple products, but my gosh they do make some awful bad quality stuff as well. (Butterfly keyboard for example, :p )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.