Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
rather not have gov body intervening on free markets that has valid competition.
That's what government bodies do. You made such a ridiculously broad statement.
Tariffs, taxes, regulation, workers and consumer rights ad nauseum, this is government 'messing', with the free market.

Reactions: ninecows

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
rather not have gov body intervening on free markets that has valid competition.
You do realise that this "gov body" is actually elected by the people in EU? If they do stuff the majority does not agree with they will be replaced by someone else. Its funny how its nearly like free market competition 😉

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
is Microsoft a monopoly ?
is Amazon monopoly ?
you have choice to buy android phone right ?
what next iOS on iPhone is a monopoly ?
Apple A series processors in iPad/iPhone are a monopoly ?
I know we're all busy these days, but if you don't read these posts carefully enough you can miss the jokes.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
That's a silly false dichotomy. Plenty of users have apps that are very important to their routines/workflows and if those apps go to a different store or go web-only, the user will be essentially pressured to follow. The degree of pressure will vary according to the value of the app.
If the app is important to their work, meaning they're using it now, they already have it installed and paid the apple tax already. They aren't going to have to side load anything cause they already have the app. There isn't any pressure to goto any alt app store. And no reason for apple to delete the app from the users device.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
But that will not stop the people who sideload and get defrauded from somehow blaming Apple or running to the Apple Store and throwing a fit when they are not able to get service. Then of course you will have the ones who will file a class action lawsuit claiming Apple “knew or should have known” that fraud can occur and therefore must be on the hook for the sloppy actions of those same users. Then you will probably have the EU trying to force Apple to support and handle everything even if it has nothing to do with them.
Step 1 file lawsuit
Step 3 profit.

You forgot step 2, you have to win the lawsuit.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
But, we have rights to do whatever we want. Apple is the Evil one, not the developer, customers or anyone else who does bad. We demand our rights to let these folks do bad things. After all we are the smart ones./s I checked my security systems numbers for last week. Over 13,000 fraud tracking ads blocked. Half a dozen critical security tracking by those ads blocked. Those numbers not counting the already blocked ads by apps such as Safari. But hey, those folks are just trying to make a Buck. Be careful for what one asks for.

Last edited:

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I didn't say I was upset at anyone, I was challenging the naive claim that users wouldn't face pressure into using alternative, less secure app stores. Yes they will alway have a "choice", but it's not a net positive if that choice is between an inferior app on a secure store or a superior app on an insecure store.

I would just point out that the standard line in these parts in response to someone wanting to install apps from outside the App Store is to 'just get an Android phone,' to the thunderous applause of the masses, but somehow 'just get a different app' or 'not get the app' isn't good enough.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
you have a choice, Android.
Apple is not forcing you to be in Apple eco system.
Android phones are cheaper.

So just stay inside the App Store? No one is forcing you outside. If an app you want isn't available there, just get a different app.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
If the app is important to their work, meaning they're using it now, they already have it installed and paid the apple tax already. They aren't going to have to side load anything cause they already have the app. There isn't any pressure to goto any alt app store. And no reason for apple to delete the app from the users device.
Come on, not even you believe this nonsense.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
That's a silly false dichotomy. Plenty of users have apps that are very important to their routines/workflows and if those apps go to a different store or go web-only, the user will be essentially pressured to follow. The degree of pressure will vary according to the value of the app.
That goddam gameboy emulator is not available on App Store in EU, only sideload. What if this happens to some life-essential apps?
Blimey! This whataboutism is getting tiresome. Name one, *ONE*, essential app for android that isn't on the PlayStore. Not including any app banned from the PlayStore.

Android has sideloading. Y'all don't see users abandoning the PlayStore in droves.

Any developer with at least half a brain would have their app on the AppStore--if they could--instead of sideload only. You don't ignore billions of potential customers just because Apple want's 30% of the cut. 70% of a humungous pie is more than 100% of a tiny pie.

Reactions: macfacts

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
If they do stuff the majority does not agree with they will be replaced by someone else.
Pretty sure there are more EU people that don't care about their data and rather have these stupid cookie popups go away from websites.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Pretty sure there are more EU people that don't care about their data and rather have these stupid cookie popups go away from websites.
The cookie popup is a terrible solution to a fair problem. And the root cause of the problem was not caused by the EU, but instead a massive industry of tracking people with cookies to show them adds for junk they were never gonna buy in the first place. But it’s there now. And because some companies didn’t want to play nicely and care about people's privacy ALL websites are now required to have it - also websites that would only use cookies for perfectly legit purposes.

Plus the pop up could be less annoying if it presented the users with three equally accessible options:
1) Sure just track me everywhere and show me adds for anything I ever search for
2) Only give me cookies for cookies required to make the site work
3) No cookies at all

But they don’t. You get the “allow all” with a big green button and the other options requires 7 clicks. I'm pretty sure THAT was not what the EU intended, but instead how websites that are funded by adds try to nudge in the tracking so they can keep their business.

Reactions: tomchr9 and UliBaer

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
The cookie popup is a terrible solution to a fair problem.

All the more reason to not trust the type of people who created the solution.

And the root cause of the problem was not caused by the EU

Didn't say the root cause was by EU.

But it’s there now.

Unfortunately.

And because some companies didn’t want to play nicely and care about people's privacy ALL websites are now required to have it - also websites that would only use cookies for perfectly legit purposes.

Plus the pop up could be less annoying if it presented the users with three equally accessible options:
1) Sure just track me everywhere and show me adds for anything I ever search for
2) Only give me cookies for cookies required to make the site work
3) No cookies at all

But they don’t. You get the “allow all” with a big green button and the other options requires 7 clicks. I'm pretty sure THAT was not what the EU intended
Again, all the more reason to not trust the kind of people who created this solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.