Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
Blaming the victim, these mega corps that have more money than god can afford to pay their employees good wages, but that doesn’t look as good on a quarterly statement. Do you really think Amazon and Apple are working on such razor thin margins that paying their employees more would drop them into the red?
If you're quoting my response, who do you think the victim is exactly? I was giving an example of how a friend of mine got the short end of the stick from a chain restaurant he's working at ... from solid shifts of 8 hours a day to now scattered shifts that make him a part-time employee ... do you think big/mega corporations will look at their expenses (one of them being employee cost) differently?

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
bad move. they will find an excuse to get rid of employees because of this.

Look what happen to Ford. union won higher wages. then they closed whole factories and people lost their jobs.

$20 an hour here in California is killing the fast food industry. $20 an our just to flip burgers. Greedy. Should always be an entry level $15 an hour job.
Entry level IS $20 / hour, by definition, since that's now minimum wage.

So you think $15 should be some sort of predefined threshold, forever and ever?

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
Good thing they’re not being paid for their diploma, but for the work they do that makes Apple money, more money than Apple pays them.

Paying employees more is an investment too, workers who make more are happier and work harder. It’s a much simpler ROI than autonomous cars.

So it’s wrong for people to want to make more money? People here swoon and wet their pants when Apple’s stock goes up half a point, why is it that Apple the company wants to make more money and that’s good but when the employees of Apple want more money, they’re entitled, or asking too much?

It blows my mind how many people are opposed to workers improving their working conditions. I highly doubt anyone posting here is a billionaire, so we’re all much closer financially to retail workers than we are to CEOs. How does someone else improving their conditions make your life worse that you’re so vehemently against it?
Not wrong but you need to provide value if you want the wages.

Reactions: Timpetus

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
They don't want to unionize, they have a union thug telling them how awesome it will be when they are paying union dues to fund the golf courses of the bosses and their high salary (talk about fair pay)
My significant other is an educator ... she cannot be employed as a "non-union educator" in the school district she works at, as the union won't allow for that. She has to pay dues and is constantly reminded who the union prefers when it comes to elections/voting ... I still have yet to find value in unions, maybe someone can enlighten me.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
They don't want to unionize, they have a union thug telling them how awesome it will be when they are paying union dues to fund the golf courses of the bosses and their high salary (talk about fair pay)
Self-contradicting argument. Why would a union "thug" even bother to try make a persuasive argument? He'd just need to break some knee caps to get the ballot to go his way. You're not making much sense.

And sorry, but "golf courses"? The idea that union bosses are somehow living high on the hog is just wrong. I know a lot of ppl who work as union organizers. They are not rich people.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
Self-contradicting argument. Why would a union "thug" even bother to try make a persuasive argument? He'd just need to break some knee caps to get the ballot to go his way. You're not making much sense.

And sorry, but "golf courses"? The idea that union bosses are somehow living high on the hog is just wrong. I know a lot of ppl who work as union organizers. They are not rich people.
I didn't know you had to be rich to play golf at golf courses ... does that mean I made it?

Happy, well-paid workers = better served customers
To some extent that is true, but that ship has sailed ... when is the last time you have gone shopping at a retail store bougie or not? ... but then again I live in LA, maybe it's time for a change 😂

Reactions: Timpetus and Huck

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
My significant other is an educator ... she cannot be employed as a "non-union educator" in the school district she works at, as the union won't allow for that. She has to pay dues and is constantly reminded who the union prefers when it comes to elections/voting ... I still have yet to find value in unions, maybe someone can enlighten me.
Look across the pond. Here in the UK our government would love to rip up all the hard-fought labour laws on behalf of their billionaire paymasters.

Unions give the workers collective power against an overreach of authority. It was only thanks to trade unions contributing to the Labour Party that we enjoy state healthcare, maximum working hours and guaranteed paid holidays. We have protections in place against unfair dismissal (workers cannot be sacked for going on strike) and unions largely protect workers who suffer from workplace litigation.

I had a former colleague (we were both teachers) who was accused of something by a student who took a comment the wrong way. The management wanted shot of him to sweep it under the rug but the union fought his corner and he was reinstated having actually done nothing wrong.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Blaming the victim, these mega corps that have more money than god can afford to pay their employees good wages, but that doesn’t look as good on a quarterly statement. Do you really think Amazon and Apple are working on such razor thin margins that paying their employees more would drop them into the red?

But "good wages" is never good enough. That's part of the problem. If Apple gave everyone a $10/hr raise tomorrow, people would be happy, spend more, and then need more, so then they'll demand more. And on it goes...

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
bad move. they will find an excuse to get rid of employees because of this.

Look what happen to Ford. union won higher wages. then they closed whole factories and people lost their jobs.

$20 an hour here in California is killing the fast food industry. $20 an our just to flip burgers. Greedy. Should always be an entry level $15 an hour job.
And you don’t think that people being unable to afford to live in the places where they work flipping burgers might also kill the industry? This idea that there’s a preordained minimum wage people deserve, completely divorced from the cost of living, is such a delusional, uninformed take.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
Look across the pond. Here in the UK our government would love to rip up all the hard-fought labour laws on behalf of their billionaire paymasters.

Unions give the workers collective power against an overreach of authority. It was only thanks to trade unions contributing to the Labour Party that we enjoy state healthcare, maximum working hours and guaranteed paid holidays. We have protections in place against unfair dismissal (workers cannot be sacked for going on strike) and unions largely protect workers who suffer from workplace litigation.

I had a former colleague (we were both teachers) who was accused of something by a student who took a comment the wrong way. The management wanted shot of him to sweep it under the rug but the union fought his corner and he was reinstated having actually done nothing wrong.
I am going to loosely say "apples & oranges" ... I am actually from across the pond German/Polish living in LA ... have some family members and friends at both countries in education, hospitality, and other industries. Their-your union(s) are quite a bit different ...

Yes, I get the situations where the union (here or across the pond) might be of use/benefit ... but I haven't heard of that yet, just speaking from experience.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
But "good wages" is never good enough. That's part of the problem. If Apple gave everyone a $10/hr raise tomorrow, people would be happy, spend more, and then need more, so then they'll demand more. And on it goes...
That is why unions renegotiate contracts at intervals, both sides get a new chance to negotiate, because circumstances change, price of living goes up, etc. Without a union it’s far more difficult to any kind of raise or bonus, and when you do it’s at the arbitrary whims of your boss or HR. I’ve worked in big tech, without a union you have very few opportunities to make more than what you got when you started.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
But the workers aren’t demanding higher wages to buy more crap. They just want to keep up with inflation and not live in poverty.

There is some argument that a company relying on thin margins pushing up wages will push up prices but in this specific case we are talking about a company that makes a shedload of cash every second.

But I suppose we do have to think of the poor shareholders :(

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
If you're a group of employees not getting performance bonuses and/or management can layoff or reprimand employees at will, definitely unionize. If employee issues are not being properly addressed by management, definitely unionize.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
But the workers aren’t demanding higher wages to buy more crap. They just want to keep up with inflation and not live in poverty.

There is some argument that a company relying on thin margins pushing up wages will push up prices but in this specific case we are talking about a company that makes a shedload of cash every second.

But I suppose we do have to think of the poor shareholders :(
I agree and would like to add even if they were unionizing just to “buy more stuff”, that’s entirely within their rights and working people don’t have to justify themselves to anyone else. This whole idea that the working class needs to forgo any pleasure or nice things because they need to be more “fiscally responsible” is just propaganda from people who have more money than they could ever spend.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
What's the average hourly pay at a retail store?
The following seem to be pretty standard:
Apple Benefits
  • Stocks.
  • Health insurance.
  • Dental insurance.
  • Retirement savings accounts with a 401(k) match.
  • Reimbursement for some types of education.
  • Matching donations up to $10,000 per year.
  • Paid family leave.
  • Discounts on products and some free services.
What's bad about working at the retail locations (other than dealing with retail settings, hours, etc.?)

I am curious as to what is driving the perceived need to organize.

I've never worked at an Apple store, but every one I have been to seems to be pretty well staffed, clean, and organized.

A lot of that requires to be full time staff. Most are not full time.

Reactions: maxoakland

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
Spoiled brats with no perspective. I’ve heard from friends that work for Apple that very often people leave for some other company when they’re feeling bitter, only to go back to Apple very quickly because they realize they had it good there.

I can’t imagine it’s very hard to sell an iPhone. But considering how Apple seems to hire some really awful people these days, I guess they brought it on themselves. Hire low-tier people and you’ll get a bunch of miserable people. No doubt many of the people pushing to unionize are the ones who don’t seem to know anything about the product. They don’t care, they just think they’re entitled to a paycheck by virtue of being alive.

Edit: ah, the special folks are out in full force. No sense of proportion, no sense of reality, they will just downvote anyone who doesn’t champion the mindless union script. You could have the greatest job in the world, and these people would still complain. It’s not actually about helping workers, they just feel aggrieved. These people are tiresome and toxic. The loudest complainers today have more comforts than kings in the past. And they still just complain bitterly.
1712789804734.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.