Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
So if Apple can put OLED panels in 12.9 inch iPads, what's stopping them from from putting OLED panels in a 13.3" MacBook? Is the extra 0.4 inches really that difficult? Or is there some technical limitation with OLED that prevents them from being used in "real" laptops?
The cost of developing a entirely new display and the time it takes.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I disaree. My A12Z is showing it's age with random slowdowns, background apps needing to reload, etc. I'd assume the M1 is faring much better, but the A12s have definitely seen better days.

Meh. My 13-year old iPad 2 is still running great. Fast and snappy and the (original!) battery still runs for many hours. Of course, it's running iOS 6.1.3...

Reactions: Thymio

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
People arguing for macOS on an iPad probably aren't thinking it through properly. Like, if you want macOS then buy a laptop.
Many people arguing for MacOs on an iPad probably have a laptop and simply want the flexibility to run both, especially on the 12.9 Pro … so it deserves “Pro”.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
..all that's left now is the usual Apple, ahem..I mean industry iPad supply shortage "rumor" & and we then have normality back in the universe.

Reactions: Jovijoker

lilkwarrior

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
I’m more than happy with the mini led on the m1, doesn’t need to get any better
That’s being tech illiterate of the vast advantages OLED has in response time, contrast, and overall picture quality relevant for the core functions of an iPad and its accessories such as an Apple Pencil (lower latency due to the OLED screen for example).

Reactions: Mescagnus

garranhado

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
No notch please!

Hope for some kind of macOS mode / compatibility in Pro versions. Its time and justified to use iPad Pros as a macOS device.

Reactions: Bigg Macc

grovian

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2020
So if Apple can put OLED panels in 12.9 inch iPads, what's stopping them from from putting OLED panels in a 13.3" MacBook? Is the extra 0.4 inches really that difficult? Or is there some technical limitation with OLED that prevents them from being used in "real" laptops?
Nothing. Lots of other notebooks have OLED screens already in all sizes, 13"-16". My girlfriend has a Asus Vivobook which costs 1/4th of a MacBook Pro and has a vastly superior 120Hz OLED screen. Apple is simply selling an inferior product because they can get away with it.

• Wow
Reactions: Reason077

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple uses OLED screens from Samsung and this size is already available and in several competitor's devices.
The screens will come from both LG and Samsung (with LG likely supplying the most), and there are exactly zero competitors in this space that are using the dual-stack screen tech that is rumoured to be in the new iPad Pro. Up until now, the expensive dual-stack screens have only been used in low volume niche applications.

Nothing. Lots of other notebooks have OLED screens already in all sizes, 13"-16". My girlfriend has a Asus Vivobook which costs 1/4th of a MacBook Pro and has a vastly superior 120Hz OLED screen. Apple is simply selling an inferior product because they can get away with it.
AFAIK, no laptops use dual-stack OLED either.

However, it still remains to be seen if the rumours are actually true, that Apple will be strictly using dual-stack OLED for this purpose.

Last edited:

NewOldStock

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2023
Software and Ai with take all your business on the OLED screen you can bet on that!
Not a thing. Lasting years and years maybe not but will see in time what happens.
Think screen savers all over again. May not see it in a blink of an eye.
Milli-seconds.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
It used to be. MacBook 12” — still hoping they’ll bring it back one day.
Without Jonny Ive, I doubt it. The competition has surpassed apple, Google has a 12" pixel book, it is lighter and thinner than the current MacBook Air and it is using an Intel processor. It has about a 10h battery life but with a future Qualcomm processor it can beat apple silicon.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
double oled layer helps in contrast and HDR, but they double the blue fading pixels issue
So....2 ups 1 down while with mini-led, if Apple put a lot of money in it and have dimming zone/1pixel that would be second best display tech next to micro-led
No, fading is not a statical event. The color shift is due to different color emitters fading at different rates. One benefit of dual later OLEDs is that they don’t have to drive each emitter as high to get a typical level of brightness. that cuts down on emitters fading. This is also why they are more resistant to burn-in.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I'd like to buy an OLED monitor for my Mac like the Samsung Odyssey G9. But everyone says "don't get OLED for a productivity machine - OLED is for gaming or else - burn-in".

My iPhone 12 has OLED, my 14 Pro have OLED and Always-On Display, my Apple Watch Series 6 have OLED and Always-On display. All devices look as good as new.

Why is OLED such a concern, and yes I've seen LOTS of burn-in reports, but Apple always gets away with it without a single issue ?
When the emitters in an OLED panel are driven to high brightness levels, they have a tendency to fade over time and become less bright. that can cause the color to shift if the blue pixels fade faster. When larger areas of the screen are running bright for extended periods of time, those areas can appear as dimmer patches In the same of the graphic that was showing on the screen. The classic is a logo of a TV channel.

Your phone screen is only bright for relatively short periods and then it goes darker. They tend to shut down the screen brightness to save battery. People don’t tend to use their phones for hours on end with the same UI on the screen. That is more of the pattern for laptops and to a certain extend iPads.

These OLEDs are rumored to feature dual layers of OLED emitters (RGB pixels). With twice the emitters, each emitter only has be be driven half as hard to produce a similar brightness level. that makes them less prone to fading.

Reactions: PsykX

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Honestly, this is gonna cost me some downvotes but, I’m with you here.

Most rumors (if not all) point towards an OLED release. And I think they are right. But OLED has all those disadvantages and also the PWM problem for those sensitive to it.

I don’t know if all the new iPad Pros are coming with OLED, but if Apple could provide us with the same device with an LCD display (this is, an iPad Air with the same internal specs), it would be great news for those of us that don’t care about OLED black quality, don’t like to be exposed to OLED during prolonged periods of time, or just don’t want to spend so much money to have the latest SoC on our iPad.
I think the iPad Airs are going to be your best bet in this new line. They are likely to retain the traditional IPS LCD screen.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
“There is a possibility that the 11.1-inch ‌iPad Pro‌ will be in short supply at launch because Apple has been dealing with light leakage issues that are not impacting the 12.9-inch model.”

How is that possible? Are not OLED screen pixels lit up and dimmed individually? So, if there is no lighting from the side, like with LCD screens, what is the source of this leakage? 🤔

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It can be believed, otherwise it’s false advertisement. One just has to understand context and interpret correctly without making extra conclusions. “iPad can replace a laptop” doesn’t mean for everyone, but Apple isn’t going to say that explicitly in marketing because it’s marketing. Marketing usually has to be taken very literally. Yes, it can, not will for sure.
there are quite a few people who do professional work on an iPad. They are not necessarily doing development work but they are doing work. I’ve used an iPad Pro as a work computer while traveling. I haven’t seen any ads by Apple in years claiming that you can replace a computer with an iPad, but if they do put out such ads, I’m sure that the use cases are feasible for an iPad. You may not want to work on one, but that doesn’t mean that others don’t.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
No, fading is not a statical event. The color shift is due to different color emitters fading at different rates. One benefit of dual later OLEDs is that they don’t have to drive each emitter as high to get a typical level of brightness. that cuts down on emitters fading. This is also why they are more resistant to burn-in.
Burn in cannot be bend by hardware but walkaround by software with pixel shifting
They have to drive it otherwise whats the point for contrast level and accuracy feom dual layer?!
So no, physics cannot be bend , after 2 years of use a brand new dual layer will always have perfect blue compared to the used one side by side

Last edited:

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
“There is a possibility that the 11.1-inch ‌iPad Pro‌ will be in short supply at launch because Apple has been dealing with light leakage issues that are not impacting the 12.9-inch model.”

How is that possible? Are not OLED screen pixels lit up and dimmed individually? So, if there is no lighting from the side, like with LCD screens, what is the source of this leakage? 🤔
Maybe the 11 ipad pro is not using oled or maybe its about the smaller ipad air in reality or this is just a rumor

lilkwarrior

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
Apple uses OLED screens from Samsung and this size is already available and in several competitor's devices.
That's not necessarily accurate as far as tablets as Apple forces Samsung to not skip on capabilities they skip on the manufacturing of the "same" OLED panels for competitors such as Dolby Vision HDR + HLG support.

Just like their phones.

There's more to the size and panel type of a panel; there is HDR capabilities and meeting a particular standard of other capabilities that leads to many defects or incompatible panels for the final target product are just as important

Reactions: Powerbooky
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.