Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Well they are not going to use the 'worst' are they? and each year it will improve..

Indeed... when I got my PowerBook G4 in 2000, its screen was top notch compared to most other notebooks available back then. I remember when I turned it on the first time: I was impressed... very bright, sharp and rich in colour.
Over the years those flat screens have improved extremely and it's still improving.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Very excited to see the new iPad Pro. Glad that both the 11" and 13" Pro will have similar screen technology.

Reactions: newyorksole

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Be ready for an M4 OLED iPad Pro that will have AI and possibly a higher price to go along with it

rdanielhague

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2017
Northwestern University
True, but why not make the iPad a 2-in-1? Choose between macOS and iPadOS.

This way it won't be useless with JUST iPadOS as it currently stand
iPad running macOS would be a great option when it is the only screen for legacy business and productivity apps (otherwise used running iPadOS next to an macOS desktop machine sharing same mouse and keyboard). Elevate the iPad screen to optimal horiontal viewing height (use a Hoverbar-like product at work at home and visiting family). My neck thanks me for computing this way over the last decade.

Reactions: omenatarhuri

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
Personally I don’t care about OLED for my iPad. I care a lot more about peak overall brightness and not the nits of 3% of the screen in the dark. I have vision issues and I’ve found a lot of Netflix shows and Disney shows are mastered just too dim for me.

I’d much prefer an lcd and custom controls for brightness and contrast.

Reactions: guscall

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Maybe also give it a permanently attached keyboard and trackpad and call it a laptop?
I want a tablet (sometimes) and a laptop (sometimes), but I don't want 2 devices. This device would be awesome if it could run both.

If you attach the keyboard it's right there already as far as the internal specs and input/output goes, so it's not even hard to see happening. Touch-only macOS would be difficult and I don't think Apple needs to go there.

Reactions: barabba9174-bis

Artsketch

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2019
Let's see what Apple delivers. My 12.9 Mini-Led display has a better picture quality than my iPhone 15 Pro display and no more blooming than the iPhone.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
These advancements are nice and all but it's never been about the hardware for me. I still have my 2018 iPad Pro but gave up on using it for anything remotely productive. Got myself an iPad mini last year, primarily for reading, and leaned into it as a full-on content consumption device. It's been great for this.

Reactions: Sandstorm

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
My 4th generation iPad Pro is losing it and getting difficult to use. Looking forward to a new Pro.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Doesn’t matter what they do to the hardware it’s always going to be a larger iPhone. Improve the software and make it more functional.

One awesome (imho) way to do that would be to enable MacOS mode (for example, when connected to an external screen or keyboard/mouse). Something like Samsung DeX, but much much better. They could differentiate the Pro line with this killer feature...

imdropbear

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
One awesome (imho) way to do that would be to enable MacOS mode (for example, when connected to an external screen or keyboard/mouse). Something like Samsung DeX, but much much better. They could differentiate the Pro line with this killer feature...
I‘d instantly throw $2,000 at that. I need that.

Won‘t happen though.

Reactions: Sandstorm

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Of course they'll use high-end current gen LTPO panels, anything less than that would be ridiculous for a newly designed generation of iPad Pros considering the way Apple advertises and prices this product line.

And of course they will have features like 120Hz - otherwise they'd be lower spec than the previous generations of iPad Pros which would make absolutely no sense.

Next I'll read an article stating the iPhone 16 Pro will have all the features of the 15 Pro or what? What's the news here?

Apple has always used the best displays for their Pro devices like back in 2012 when they gave all MBPs including the cheaper entry-level one a high-resolution displa. Other laptops in this price bracket kept using the worst IPS panels or even TN panels for years after. And still today many laptops by default come with a lower resolution 1080p display than what Apple had over a decade ago.

Apple wants to give us the impression of being a very premium brand with amazing products so nobody should expect any less for the new iPad Pros.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
How come it is difficult to use?
The battery is really bad and the touch screen has gone wonky on me. The other issue which is my fault is the power button got pushed in on a drop a while back and it's really annoying.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
I don’t really know what people are using their iPads for that require so much power but I’m a pilot and basically just use it for pdf level programs and what I’d really like to see is a brighter screen. My 2018 pro gets hard to see when the sun hits the cockpit.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
My iPhone 13 Pro Max as OLED display -- when I sit outside on a warm day and turn up the screen brightness to 100% so I can see it, the phone starts to get hot and automatically (forcibly) starts to dim the display to help cool it down, to the point I can barely see the screen until it cools down again.

Is this what we have to look forward to with OLED iPad's?

• Wow

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, it’d be easier to just put iOS on an iPad, but they want to lock you into two ecosystems, not one.
I think you mean macOS not iOS, right? The problem is macOS doesn't lend itself to the tablet form factor. Software-wise, the macOS software ecosystem is not optimized for touch, and dual boot is a non-ideal, very un-Apple UX (Boot Camp was a necessary evil for them at the time). And hardware-wise, the thermal envelope for iPads is smaller than clamshells, so macOS would likely have to run slower or more limited than what users are accustomed to.

What I would like is macOS on a convertible laptop form factor with stylus input, no touch. Ideally a form factor something like the Surface Laptop Studio (which I use):
61UGE9cZVlL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
It would be really interesting if the first device to get the M4 was an iPad and not a Mac or even the iPhone with the slimmed down A-series chipsets. Like last year we got the a17 pro and then the M3 based on it.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Personally, I would advocate for a slimmed down version of macOS instead of a scaled up version of iOS. That’s a major oversimplification, of course, but I think the starting point of iPhone on a bigger scale was a mistake to begin with. Another oversimplification, but starting from macOS and adapting that to a primarily touch interface would yield better results.
I think they’re doing this, but from the other direction, making iPadOS have more and more Mac like elements but keeping it iPad

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I think you mean macOS not iOS, right? The problem is macOS doesn't lend itself to the tablet form factor. Software-wise, the macOS software ecosystem is not optimized for touch, and dual boot is a non-ideal, very un-Apple UX (Boot Camp was a necessary evil for them at the time). And hardware-wise, the thermal envelope for iPads is smaller than clamshells, so macOS would likely have to run slower or more limited than what users are accustomed to.

What I would like is macOS on a convertible laptop form factor with stylus input, no touch. Ideally a form factor something like the Surface Laptop Studio (which I use):
61UGE9cZVlL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg
You could have both on the same device and switch quickly on fly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.