Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
I am not a fan of Stewart's brand - rarely watched any of his stuff over the years - but props to Stewart for sticking to his scruples and letting the show be cancelled.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Never actually liked that show. Felt like another agenda driven show. Sorry for people who will miss it.

I wish everyone wasn't so distracted by this happening to Jon Stewart. The story here is that China's influence and the frequency at which they are pulling strings like this on US/western companies should be concerning. It's probably the story that Jon was working on that got their attention. China's "problems" with Taiwan, human rights and their foray into genocide with the Uyghur will one day come to a head. If anyone thinks all these little incidents are not attempts to wrap their tentacles around western media and interests as tightly as possible before one of those problems explodes, you need to think again. They've figured out the power to keep America off their back is to get our executive's answer to any government/military response to be "Yeah, but our profits though..."

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
I wish everyone wasn't so distracted by this happening to Jon Stewart. The story here is that China's influence and the frequency at which they are pulling strings like this on US/western companies should be concerning. It's probably the story that Jon was working on that got their attention. China's "problems" with Taiwan, human rights and their foray into genocide with the Uyghur will one day come to a head. If anyone thinks all these little incidents are not attempts to wrap their tentacles around western media and interests as tightly as possible before one of those problems explodes, you need to think again. They've figured out the power to keep America off their back is to get our executive's answer to any government/military response to be "Yeah, but our profits though..."

I would like to think that the US Government would not worry about Apple's profits when it comes to military action etc. But then you look at how much of the US Government's public debt is owed to China - that is scary.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I would like to think that the US Government would not worry about Apple's profits when it comes to military action etc. But then you look at how much of the US Government's public debt is owed to China - that is scary.
Not to step on your larger point, but it's not really that scary. It's only about 2-3% of the total debt.

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
anyone else never really liked one TV show besides me?
they all have a mundane factor and never go the extra step.
Anyway, moving on!
I have enjoyed some Apple TV+ shows, but overall I agree. What most of their shows have in common is glossy production, big name actors, diverse casting and....utterly safe and bland stories with weak writing. They just don't seem to take the creative risks or deal with the edgy themes that the best HBO shows do.

Reactions: MBAir2010 and Mr_Ed

R2DHue

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2019

Apple TV+ show "The Problem With Jon Stewart" has been canceled because of "creative differences" between Stewart and Apple executives, reports The New York Times.

problem-jon-stewart.jpg

Members of the show's staff were informed about its end on Thursday, according to several people with knowledge of the situation, just a couple of weeks before episodes for the third season were scheduled to begin.

The editorial disagreements reportedly revolved around some of the planned guests on "The Problem," as well as potential show topics related to China and artificial intelligence that were causing concern among Apple executives. Apple did not respond to NYT's request for comment.

Apple in 2020 secured a multi-year deal with the writer, producer, and former host of "The Daily Show", which saw Stewart return to television following his 2015 retirement.

The name of the show, "The Problem with Jon Stewart," is a nod to the issues that Stewart explored on the current affairs new series, with topics in the 20 episodes ranging from what's in the national conversation to issues that are part of Stewart's advocacy work.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Show 'The Problem With Jon Stewart' Reportedly Canceled

Apple should offer a show to Craig Ferguson.

(If he’d accept it.)
˙
IMG_9757.jpeg

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Not surprised at all. Jon has been always accused of talking sense. But in today’s highly polarised world there are very few buyers for such centrist sensibilities.
"Centrist sensibilities"
LOL. I needed that. Been rough day at work.

• Haha
Reactions: mansplains

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Greater degree of state control? The CCP controls everything, from private thought to social norms to all enterprise in China. You probably can’t even get this website in China.

Regulatory apparatus? C’mon man. China kidnaps, imprisons, and executes “executives” who step out of line.

You only need look to Jack Ma and Alibaba to confirm China, in no way, is capitalist. At best it’s statist. Don’t take my word for it: go ask the founders of Bytedance, Pinduoduo, the Tomorrow Group, or the CEO of Huarong AM. Along with tens of thousands of others imprisoned and executed in China.

Oh, sorry, can’t ask the CEO of Huarong - the CCP executed him. Name a purportedly capitalist country that regularly murders its executives. We’ll wait. Also, let us know where Jack Ma is. Shouldn’t be too hard to find one of the world’s richest humans in a capitalist country, right? And hey, how about that Ant Man Group IPO? Oh, did China kill that too? Why yes, yes they did.
China is the next great human experiment - can an unfree society have "free-ish" markets, get rich, and survive as a totalitarian dictatorship? Wealth hasn't led to democratic reforms as hoped...so far it has just provided the money to be more bold.

Reactions: R2DHue

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Apple doesn't want to upset their Chinese overlords 🤦‍♂️ Lame. I applaud Apple's outspoken support for Social issues & the environment... but it is so hypocritical of them to then cancel a show because Jon Stewart planned to speak about China. Do better Apple.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
I have enjoyed some Apple TV+ shows, but overall I agree. What most of their shows have in common is glossy production, big name actors, diverse casting and....utterly safe and bland stories with weak writing. They just don't seem to take the creative risks or deal with the edgy themes that the best HBO shows do.
Agree. TBH they planted a bias against Apple TV+ content in my head from the launch announcement, and I never got over it. It was all about telling us all the “big names” they we’re bringing along, and I guess I was not impressed.

I’ve tried to watch a few things but have not been back in the Apple TV+ app in many months. Got it for free for a while with T-Mobile but won’t be paying for it when that runs out.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This simply reinforces my view that Apple should stick to hardware, double down on improving it's software, and forget about content. It's spreading itself thin with content, which has largely been irrelevant in my view.

Fix your OS'. Fix Siri. Fix iTunes (and it's successors). Get out of the content business completely and leave it to others.
We like the content on Apple TV. In case you didn’t notice there are some award winning shows that have aired. Bottom line - we like ATV+ and have been subscribed for about 2 years.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

rgwebb

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Greater degree of state control? The CCP controls everything, from private thought to social norms to all enterprise in China. You probably can’t even get this website in China.

Regulatory apparatus? C’mon man. China kidnaps, imprisons, and executes “executives” who step out of line.

You only need look to Jack Ma and Alibaba to confirm China, in no way, is capitalist. At best it’s statist. Don’t take my word for it: go ask the founders of Bytedance, Pinduoduo, the Tomorrow Group, or the CEO of Huarong AM. Along with tens of thousands of others imprisoned and executed in China.

Oh, sorry, can’t ask the CEO of Huarong - the CCP executed him. Name a purportedly capitalist country that regularly murders its executives. We’ll wait. Also, let us know where Jack Ma is. Shouldn’t be too hard to find one of the world’s richest humans in a capitalist country, right? And hey, how about that Ant Man Group IPO? Oh, did China kill that too? Why yes, yes they did.

None of what you describes makes it not capitalism. To use your example, Alibaba is a publicly traded company on the NYSE with ownership that retains profits from outputs of the company.

Hell, with all this talk of the "Deep State" and "Woke Corporations" from a certain type of US citizen, I imagine being able to disappear bureaucrats and executives who don't toe the political line is precisely what they want. So perhaps Chinese Capitalism is the model for our future.

Reactions: redbeard331

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I think they intentionally play it safe. I very much agree with your assessment. A lot of the shows have very high production value, but end up feeling like a watered down HBO show. Blackbird, while good, should have been darker.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
RIP. Such a shame, I'll never get the little dopamine rush I get when Stewart scribbles across his paper. Kudos to Stewart for holding to his values over what was probably a crap-ton of money. Can we agree that Apple is a for-profit company and not an altruistic bastion of free speech?

Reactions: AL2TEACH

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
A major loss. Those interviews were fantastic. There is no journalism out there like what Stewart was doing in terms of holding the powerful accountable. Bummer Apple couldn’t allow Stewart the editorial freedom he ought to have.

You might enjoy Tucker Carlson. Very straightforward, also canceled by his network for too much truth. He's on Twitter/X now and doing a bang up job still.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Ted Lasso=I mean, Roy Kent FTW
ted lasso was a football cut and paste of a USA movie Major Leagues 1992ish.
the dialog was fast and I gave up in episode 2 season one and watched Man city vs Tottenham instead.

but im happy you enjoy what tv offers.

thanks for the reply!

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Watched a little bit of first episode and found it dark and depressing. If he’s trying to be funny, I don’t get it. If he’s trying to be serious, it appears disingenuous.

Reactions: Chuckeee

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
It’s a consequence of the unfortunate fact that the technical delivery of TV streaming content is nowadays bound to providing original content. You can’t successfully build a new streaming platform without providing some dedicated content on it. In theory I think Apple would be happy to just build a delivery platform, like with Apple Music, but that doesn’t really work for TV.
Apple built a delivery platform, QuickTime, and it failed. Apple even stopped using it.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
Apple built a delivery platform, QuickTime, and it failed. Apple even stopped using it.
QuickTime isn’t a delivery platform - it’s a bunch of file formats (quite successful as it became a foundation for widely used MP4 format) + various software to work with them. It’s not a streaming service like Apple Music or Netflix.

Reactions: Razorpit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.