Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
The change that Apple would need to roll with is giving graphics cards makers a way to have Silicon drivers for their cards and/or build some such support for that themselves. But that's no great leap- just software.
As long as you don't want to use external GPUs to "run a monitor" or "play a game", I expect Apple might support external GPUs for other hardware acceleration or special workloads.

persona1138

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
High speed networking cards.

High speed video encoders/decoders, maybe?

Professional digital video capture and output.

Professional audio I/O boards.

Massive and super fast storage cards.

... lots of exceptionally niche products with very few users.
Speaking as someone who works in film and television and has used cards like the ones you mentioned over many years…

You typically don’t need video capture cards AND audio I/O boards in the same machine, since ingest/edit is separated from audio mixing. On a television show/movie, your editor is not ALSO your sound mixer. And if you’re working on a solo passionate project, you can do plenty of mixing or editing without those cards. Anyway, point is… You don’t need a capture card AND an audio I/O card for something like ProTools in a professional environment.

For super fast storage, you’ll always do better with a large external RAID (particularly in a shared user environment). And/or working with proxy media. Having super fast storage cards (which still won’t hold all your full-res media because they’re lower capacity than a RAID) isn’t that useful in a professional setting.

The Apple Silicon chips have built-in hardware decoding for video codecs. Remember how the Intel Mac Pro had an Accelerator card? Those are no longer necessary with Apple Silicon. There’s a reason why Apple doesn’t offer the Accelerator card for its Apple Silicon Mac Pro anymore.

As for high-speed network cards… or video cards… or audio I/O cards… These can all be put into external Thunderbolt enclosures attached to a Mac Studio.

And the Mac Studio is currently just as powerful as the Mac Pro. And cheaper.

And that’s the fundamental problem.

There’s nothing special about the Mac Pro. Sure, maybe having the convenience of PCIe cards in the machine rather than using a Thunderbolt PCIe enclosure is nice… But you’re not gonna need that many cards in a professional environment. Not anymore.

Maaaaybe if Apple allowed for compatibility with high-end GPU’s that might change things. But I don’t see that happening.

Fundamentally, Apple didn’t know what to do with the Mac Pro. So they stuck a Mac Pro in an oversized enclosure from 2019 and called it a day.

They should do better. Offer more power. And allow for GPU support for extra speed… Which would occupy at least one PCIe slot when I might ALSO need a high speed network card and a capture card. Then, suddenly, I need multiple PCIe slots.

But right now, a Mac Studio with an external Thunderbolt PCIe enclosure is just as capable and far cheaper.

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
Fundamentally, Apple didn’t know what to do with the Mac Pro. So they stuck a Mac Pro in an oversized enclosure from 2019 and called it a day.

They should do better. Offer more power. And allow for GPU support for extra speed… Which would occupy at least one PCIe slot when I might ALSO need a high speed network card and a capture card. Then, suddenly, I need multiple PCIe slots.

But right now, a Mac Studio with an external Thunderbolt PCIe enclosure is just as capable and far cheaper.
I suspect "the plan" was that the Mac Pro would ship with the M* Quadra (4x M* Max)... but they couldn't get that out the door... so here we are.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
I am not sure how much the Mac Pro brings if it does not support extension cards. Part of the speed of current Mac series is linked to the very compact CPU + Memories concept that allows for incredible bandwidth - at the cost of a loss of flexibility/upgradability.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Apple has now gone back to the drawing board and is working on an updated version of the Mac Pro that's set to come out next year.

Going back to the drawing board...again?

The trash can failed

The cheese grater failed

What will be their next failure??

• Haha
Reactions: xbjllb

histeachn81

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
I’m not in the target audience for this, but I always thought that they should have incentivized some measure of modularity for Mac Pro users to either make it easy to swap out CPUs to the newest M series or even having something like dual CPUs (same make and configuration) that would increase processing. Like having two Ultras to make an “Extreme” or whatever. That was always my quiet assumption that left me wondering whether it was a nut Apple hadn’t cracked yet.

Reactions: drrich2

komki

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
It would be nice to have Mac Pro that could do more from hardware and OS point of view. Apple can work on that.

But third party companies also need to spend money developing features. That is expensive and there are no guarantees Mac Pro platform will exist in 5 years.

In the PC + Linux/Windows ecosystem there is quite good backwards and forwards compatibility story. Nvidia GPUs have been around for something like 30 years? Nvidia CUDA maybe 15 years? (copied numbers quickly from Wikipedia.) You can probably trust these to be around in some form for 20+ years. It is a safe investment to build those and to build on top of those.

Some custom MacPro PCI accelerator card, software framework to use it, applications to use software framework… not so safe investment.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Gurman says that the Mac Pro will be equipped with the highest-end version of the M4 chip, which is codenamed "Hidra."
Not many comments on the name - Hidra - which might well offer some clues.

How did they get to that name?

Hybrid Illinois Device for Research and Applications?
Italian ceramic company?
Norwegian island?
A spelling of Hydra, the many-headed beast of myth defeated by Heracles?
The aquatic animal with multiple tentacles?
Greek island which enchanted Leonard Cohen?
A part of Jerome, Idaho?
A novel acronym?

And what interpretation can we put on it?

Take your choice - clearly I don't know. But someone reading just might come up with an interesting take on the name.

Absent "interesting", maybe "amusing"?

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Still a long time away. Not expecting to see it anytime before 2025 WWDC

Jeo_cz

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Prague, CZ
Mac Pro is now just a big super expansive box with a modified iPad's processor inside. It doesn't make sense when you couldn't add ram, videocards or even processors for such a machine. I can't understand why someone is still buying this product.

Reactions: nathansz

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
High speed networking cards.

High speed video encoders/decoders, maybe?

Professional digital video capture and output.

Professional audio I/O boards.

Massive and super fast storage cards.

... lots of exceptionally niche products with very few users.
Really those kinds of un-informed, teenager type comments really do not even deserve you attention. I mean google PCIe add-on cards for crying out loud and then comment something....

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
It would be nice to have Mac Pro that could do more from hardware and OS point of view. Apple can work on that.

But third party companies also need to spend money developing features. That is expensive and there are no guarantees Mac Pro platform will exist in 5 years.

In the PC + Linux/Windows ecosystem there is quite good backwards and forwards compatibility story. Nvidia GPUs have been around for something like 30 years? Nvidia CUDA maybe 15 years? (copied numbers quickly from Wikipedia.) You can probably trust these to be around in some form for 20+ years. It is a safe investment to build those and to build on top of those.

Some custom MacPro PCI accelerator card, software framework to use it, applications to use software framework… not so safe investment.
There's also been the issue with the Mac Pro that they never had a proper roadmap for these machines. Even 15 years ago when visiting this forum there never was any certainty as to when the next hardware update was to come out and what it would be like. Or even if there'd be any new machine in this category all.

Without knowing the product will stay around and that updates can be expected to more or less stay the same just faster/better - how can you invest in these for a business?

This should have just stayed an expandable machine in a tower case, like the 2012 and earlier models were. Not a pivot to the trashcan-this, the iMac Pro-that, back to the fully expandable tower - and now just a studio but with PCI slots. Next time round - who knows what shape it will be in. Maybe just a headset with a PCI slot box attached via cable? ;)

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I think they need to put a different type of chip in these, one that doesn't really care about power consumption so the thing can take off like a rocket. I know the Ultra has this to a degree, but I think they could get more out of it.

I'm also suprised that you couldn't buy an additonal Ultra card so you could pop it into the MP for more processing and memory.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The Mac Pro has become such an unbelievable dumb product. There is literally no reason to get it except to turn your nose up at the peasants and evil laugh about how much money you have... And speaking of money, anyone that thinks Apple is going to lower their prices is kidding themselves. They are squeezing every last nickel they can out of everything.
Wrong. Apple lowers the price per gigaflop of computing power with each new generation. Those for whom increased power is not of sufficient value need not buy.

• Love
Reactions: xbjllb

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
What I want is a MacBook Air 15" with pro-motion display like in my MacBook Pro with 16GB Ram and 512 GB storage for under 1400$ including taxes. I assume that many more would go for a Mac with that price range. Otherwise I can just hold on to my 14" M1Pro until it die or become obsolete.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Mac Pro with Apple silicon will be a failure as long as they support upgradability and expandability on it. 500GB of RAM is still low when Mac Pro 2019 can go up to 1.5TB of RAM.
For how many would that really be an issue?

• Disagree
Reactions: sunny5

macjaffa

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
They should make the mac pro on a board, and make it so you can just insert more boards for more power. Make the chassis one giant psu and bus that takes 1-8 m4 processor soc boards. Make a board as well that can take 8 nvme drives for uogradeable shared storage, and either build in or make a board for the pci adaptors as well.

While theyre at it add in 1 or 2 nvme internal enclosures to the mac studio

Jobs a good un

tenthousandthings

Contributor
May 14, 2012
New Haven, CT
The current edition is a placeholder. The 2019 form factor will still be in place in 2029. SoW (System-on-Wafer) is now officially a thing, and the announcement coming now (yesterday), stating it is already in production, points to Apple-TSMC.

Gurman has placed all of his eggs in the “no M3 Max local silicon interconnect = no M3 Ultra” basket. Apple should clarify the fate of the M3 Ultra at WWDC, and there’s a non-zero chance he is wrong. You might even say a good chance. I don’t know.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.