Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I think the 10th gen iPad does just that. With the price drop, it's now a great device for the price. Apple has done a good job, in general, of keeping an affordable iPad model around. My only current complaint is that the apple folio keyboard is way overpriced for the market. It should run around $100.
This ^^^ we hear things like, needs new OS, just a consumption device, good for the kids. I'm 61, still in the workforce and use my iPad more than my MacBook Air. I'm a professional. Sometimes it's not the car, it's the driver. Everyones wants and needs are different and that is why there is alot of overlap for some and NONE for others.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
“Pro” has always been a marketing term. People, with the advent of the M1, started to misinterpret this. But Pro means quad speakers, screen features, and it used to mean a P3 display. Nothing else.
Pro usually means the best specs. With the first 13” Pro in 2015, it meant bigger better screen, faster processor, double the RAM, four better stereo speakers, smart connector with keyboard, etc. so not that different from now.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Pro usually means the best specs. With the first 13” Pro in 2015, it meant bigger better screen, faster processor, double the RAM, four better stereo speakers, smart connector with keyboard, etc. so not that different from now.
Exactly. People’s obsession with the term is erroneous.

Reactions: iPadified

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
“Pro” has always been a marketing term. People, with the advent of the M1, started to misinterpret this. But Pro means quad speakers, screen features, and it used to mean a P3 display. Nothing else.
Or said another way, a way for Apple to create an upper price tier in a product line.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Yeah by all means, I'm all for Apple listening to feedback more. But I'd argue that what an iPad excels in is not necessarily limited to consumption. Take a look at your average desk job for example, where the main tasks you want to be able to do include things like video conferencing, checking and writing emails, browsing the internet, taking notes or using Microsoft Office. And all those tasks most people can do just as well, if not better, on an iPad with a keyboard than with a laptop.

Funny thing about it is that the iPhone has also had the "Pro" brand for years, and nobody ever complains about not being able to run Mac OS or do heavy video editing on an iPhone Pro.
Plenty of people over the years complained about the constraints on the Pro phones, like being stuck on lightning speeds for file transfers and lack of accessory connectivity to pro gear (both finally fixed with USB-C on the 15 pros), lack of raw and prores capture prior to the introduction of those formats, lack of full manual controls in the camera app, etc. Lots of people have taken issue with the pro name on the phones.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Funny thing about it is that the iPhone has also had the "Pro" brand for years, and nobody ever complains about not being able to run Mac OS or do heavy video editing on an iPhone Pro.
To be fair, even if the iPhone could run a version of Final Cut Pro, I doubt many people are interested in the prospect of trying to edit their videos on a 6" screen.

A 13" iPad Pro with a Magic Keyboard is comparable to a MacBook Air, and it's also the closest you will ever get to a touchscreen laptop if you are willing to VNC into your Mac. I can understand the desire to run macOS on an iPad, but I am also not convinced it's something the majority of Apple's user base wants or needs.

Reactions: Isamilis

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Yeah I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. The iPad and/or iPad Air serves the "forgotten purpose" perfectly well as far as I know.

It's not like the OS on iPad regressed since it was first introduced. What exactly is the expectation here?
The expectation is straightforward: affordability. Why demand a higher price for top-tier specifications when your device runs the same applications as the cheaper alternative? The only "pro" aspect of iPad Pros lies in their internals, yet one can't utilize them professionally without a Mac! Am I alone in perceiving this absurdity? If you've shelled out $2000 for an iPad, it ought to function as a laptop replacement by then!

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
The expectation is straightforward: affordability. Why demand a higher price for top-tier specifications when your device runs the same applications as the cheaper alternative? The only "pro" aspect of iPad Pros lies in their internals, yet one can't utilize them professionally without a Mac! Am I alone in perceiving this absurdity? If you've shelled out $2000 for an iPad, it ought to function as a laptop replacement by then!
You don't use them professionally. Plenty of people do. As many have pointed out, the iPad now if more affordable then it was at launch.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone,

I've been pondering over something lately, and I couldn't help but notice how Apple seems to have lost sight of the original purpose behind the iPad. Remember when it was positioned as the perfect middle ground between a computer and a laptop? A companion device, ideal for light work, school tasks, or on-the-go productivity?

But now, take a look at the current iPad lineup. The prices have skyrocketed, putting them in the range of high-end laptops, yet they can't even run a basic macOS. It's perplexing. Why invest in an iPad when you can get a more versatile and capable laptop for less?

Think about it: for illustrators, photographers, writers, and professionals alike, the iPad falls short in comparison to laptops. It lacks the flexibility and power needed for intensive tasks. Sure, it's great for consuming content or casual browsing, but when it comes to serious work, it just doesn't cut it anymore.

I miss the days when the iPad was a budget-friendly option for those who didn't need all the bells and whistles of a full-fledged computer but still wanted something more substantial than a smartphone. It's disheartening to see Apple prioritize profit margins over the original vision of the iPad.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe Apple should refocus on the iPad's roots and offer more affordable options that cater to productivity needs? Let's discuss.

I'll be honest: In the months and weeks leading up to this week's events, I've been pondering the exact same thing.

The iPad was originally created to be that perfect in-between device between a 13-14-inch laptop and a smartphone.

It feels like, for the most part, at least since the advent of the iPad Pro, the intended aim (on Apple's part) is to instead slowly cannibalize that 13-14-inch laptop market. By the time you need anything bigger, a 16-inch MacBook Pro or similar caliber 15-17-inch PC laptop will be the best choice all around.

With support for ever advancing Apple Pencils and keyboard attachments that cost nearly (or just) as much as a base model 10th Generation iPad does on its own, the iPad has stopped being that perfect middle device and has instead tried hard to replace the MacBook Air and similar caliber PC Ultrabooks. Hell, I work in IT and have concocted proof of concept plans that would replace lower-end Macs with 12.9/13-inch iPads. If all of your Mac apps have iPad versions, it kind of makes perfect sense and is a whole lot cheaper (when you consider that you no longer need corporate anti-malware software solutions and that MDM per-device licensing is a fair bit cheaper for iPads than it is for Macs. The point being is that the iPad is no longer trying to co-exist with a 13-14-inch Mac laptop nor PC equivalent. It's trying to replace them altogether.

That being said, choice is good and I don't fault Apple for releasing the past five or so generations of iPad Pro. They're good products! But positioning them as iPads and not as completely different creative tools running a different OS better suited to said creativity (rather than STILL being a blown up Smartphone OS with extremely kludgy multi-tasking and limited control) (And no, I'm not talking about macOS on iPad!) sets Apple up to fail to meet expectations that these devices will even come close to using the power of M-series SoCs. The iPad Pro is a powerful creative tool that DOES do a few things better than a Mac, iPhone; but unless you need it, it's not worth the rent money it costs to buy. And this is Apple's flagship iPad. You could argue that it's the perfect between product between an iPad (be it standard or Air) and a Mac, but even then, the iPad Air is also being positioned to cannibalize 13-14-inch Macs and PCs, especially now that there's a "13-inch" iPad Air on the market.

Before we had Smart or Magic Keyboard attachments, the iPads were perfect at what they were originally intended to do. Now, the only iPad that feels like it isn't trying to incentivize me to turn it into a computer replacement is the iPad mini and I love it all the more for it.

I own an iPad Mini, 5th gen., just wi-fi and 64GB. A great buy, cheap but competent. It is my “MacBook”, for I don’t have one 😉. What I’m trying to say is that, if you stay away from purposeless spendings, iPads still fill the gap the OP mentions.

It's totally true. You could buy a 10th Generation iPad or an M2/6th Generation "11-inch" iPad Air, and completely ignore the Apple Pencil and the Magic Trackpad and it's basically the modern version of that original iPad that Steve Jobs introduced. I think the point is that it's not marketed that way. I hate typing on any iPad keyboard for any iPad smaller than a 12.9-inch iPad. Obviously, I'm not in enough of a majority there or else Apple would've only supplied those accessories for the larger iPads. Still though, there are many who look to even a 10th Generation iPad as being a possible laptop replacement. Certainly the 11-inch iPad Pro is the cost of a laptop now.

For how large the 12.9-inch iPads are, I can't imagine prospective buyers won't at least consider the keyboard strongly. Then, at that point, it's no longer Steve Jobs' original idea.

Yeah I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. The iPad and/or iPad Air serves the "forgotten purpose" perfectly well as far as I know.

While that is true, the goal posts have clearly moved. Apple expects more of their iPads and, now, so do we. Yes, an M2 "11-inch" iPad Air still serves those purposes, but that's not what it's marketed to do anymore. And what it's now marketed to do, it is kludgy at doing, compared to a traditional laptop. (Obviously, anything involving the Apple Pencil is a huge exception to this.)

That's not to say that one can't buy a 10.9-11.1-inch iPad Pro or iPad Air to meet those needs. But it's somewhat overkill.

It's not like the OS on iPad regressed since it was first introduced. What exactly is the expectation here?

It did in some respects to multi-tasking. But those gripes are minor and neither here nor there.

Again, we were given processors that gave Intel processors a run for their money, but with nothing to apply them to. Other than the use and optimization of iPad versions of applications and games most still prefer to use on traditional laptops and desktops, I'm not really sure what this extra performance gives us. We're just being told that an iPad costing $600-2000 can do more than the iPad now costing $350-650, when, with the exception of some of the creatives and creative workflows out there, the iPad is still best at and best for things that are more than adequate to do on the latter.

The 13" iPad Air starts at $799, and probably will be often discounted at Amazon/Best Buy

Considering a Galaxy Tab S9+ starts at $899, the "13-inch" iPad Air is a fantastic deal. To the OP's point, though, it's more laptop replacement than laptop compliment...unless, that is, the laptop you are trying to compliment is a 15-17-inch MacBook or PC laptop of some kind.

That's not what the original aim of the iPad was at all. Take a look at these screenshots from the announcement of the first iPad (thanks 2010 for the 360p resolution):

View attachment 2376318
View attachment 2376319
The iPad wasn't meant as a miniaturised laptop. In fact Steve Jobs explicitly made a point of this by roasting netbooks, saying that they were just cheap laptops that run clunky PC software. If he were still alive, the idea of putting Mac OS, which has no considerations whatsoever around optimising it for tablet use, like so many people on MacRumors seem to want, he'd have a fit.

He didn't want the iPad to be a secondary device, he wanted it to be people's first choice for many tasks, namely the above ones, and in my opinion the iPad is still unambiguously better at these things than a phone (except music) and a laptop.
Browsing and e-mail are debatable. If I'm on the go (which, at this point, I only really prefer to be using a tablet on the go if it's an iPad mini, unless I'm taking my iPad to a friend's house), sure, browing the Internet or checking e-mail on an iPad is way more convenient than doing so on a laptop. Taking notes, reading books, also superior on an iPad. Videos, Music, Games? Nah; a traditional computer still wins (though Music is entirely subjective; though for those of us with traditional MP3 collections, you can't really manage nor add to what's on an iPad. In that regard, it's far from convenient and more like an iPod.

In a nutshell, he basically wanted it to be the perfect consumption device. And for millions of people it is. The aim of replacing a laptop only really came in the mid 10s when the iPad Pro came out, and that's still a work in progress. And as for affordability, as some have already pointed out, the base iPad, the spiritual successor to the original, is less than half the price of the original when it first came out, adjusted for inflation.

The 10th Generation iPad carries the goals of the 1st Generation iPad. This much is true. However, the iPad Air and iPad Pro are on a whole different mission and it's not like, with Apple Pencil support, Keyboard and Trackpad attachments, and now, front facing cameras in landscape mode, the standard iPad isn't flirting with joining them on said mission.

Not everyone needs the Magic Keyboard or the Pencil. And there are third party alternatives for both.

Sure. But that's kind of beside the point.

The issue is the iPad Pro and as I’ve said elsewhere I think even inside Apple they’re unclear about why it exists.

I think they have an idea what they want it to do. However, I do not believe there is currently evidence to suggest that said idea is at all grounded in reality.

The thing is if you’re going to create an incredibly powerful iPad with a nice, big, beautiful display and nice keyboard people will want to use it for more than just consumption.

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!

Honestly Apple should get iPad Pro’s biggest power users in a room to tell them what iPadOS needs to make the iPad Pro better. Do a listening session similar to what the did with the Mac after the trash can Mac Pro debacle.

I don't disagree at all with this sentiment. However, I think the problem there is that they technically haven't disappointed anyone yet. The iPad Pro was always a niche product. The artists and creatives that it's catered to still love and rely on it. It's those that have the option NOT to buy one that are upset with it.

It started at least a decade before the advent of the M1. The very first 13-inch MacBook Pro followed by the joke that was the initial releases of Final Cut Pro X were where that crap started. And consumers have been eating it up ever since.

Pro usually means the best specs.

In an iPad, maybe. That's definitely not true of just about anything else Apple sells with that word in its title. Hell, Pro, following 'M' and a positive integer isn't even the best of Apple's SoCs. Historically, only Apple's larger laptops have been worthy of that moniker, and even then, it has been laughable at times.

With the first 13” Pro in 2015, it meant bigger better screen, faster processor, double the RAM, four better stereo speakers, smart connector with keyboard, etc. so not that different from now.
That iPad Pro was closer to what the larger iPad Air is now than it is to what the 13-inch iPad Pro and the last several 12.9-inch iPad Pros have been. Speakers are pretty much the only area that hasn't since caught on in iPad Air parlance.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
While that is true, the goal posts have clearly moved.

Oh the goal posts have moved alright - on the actual motivation behind this thread. Apparently the “forgotten purpose” is now being able to afford the most advanced iPad tech at the same prices at what the iPad was at launch.

I totally get that the goal post you’re referring to is now an expectation that “Pro” can actually fulfill what many consider to be “Pro” purposes - hence all the calls for macOS - this has been repeated ad nauseum, but it is a fair opinion / perspective.

I’m just not happy that the OP has not been very honest about what exactly the “goal post” they’ve been referring to is.

Reactions: Analog Kid

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Hey everyone,

I've been pondering over something lately, and I couldn't help but notice how Apple seems to have lost sight of the original purpose behind the iPad. Remember when it was positioned as the perfect middle ground between a computer and a laptop? A companion device, ideal for light work, school tasks, or on-the-go productivity?

But now, take a look at the current iPad lineup. The prices have skyrocketed, putting them in the range of high-end laptops, yet they can't even run a basic macOS. It's perplexing. Why invest in an iPad when you can get a more versatile and capable laptop for less?

Think about it: for illustrators, photographers, writers, and professionals alike, the iPad falls short in comparison to laptops. It lacks the flexibility and power needed for intensive tasks. Sure, it's great for consuming content or casual browsing, but when it comes to serious work, it just doesn't cut it anymore.

I miss the days when the iPad was a budget-friendly option for those who didn't need all the bells and whistles of a full-fledged computer but still wanted something more substantial than a smartphone. It's disheartening to see Apple prioritize profit margins over the original vision of the iPad.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe Apple should refocus on the iPad's roots and offer more affordable options that cater to productivity needs? Let's discuss.

This reads like "I want the best one, I deserve the best one, but I don't need the best one, and I don't want to pay for the best one."

There's plenty of lower priced iPads to choose from. That new iPad Air is incredible for the price.

For illustrators, photographers, writers and professionals it's more powerful than any current laptop (the M4 eats the M2 and 3 for lunch) and the pencil is an incredible tool for those trades. Likewise for musicians. And anyone who works with technical documentation, etc.

I'm sick of the "it needs MacOS" nonsense. I've come to realize that it's just a smoke screen for wanting side loading. I don't want side loading. Other than that, it seems to come down to not being able to format an external drive. Whatever... I'm a professional, and make extensive use of my iPad. Then I turn around and use it as a hobbyist for a bunch of creative activities.

The iPad is what it should be.

Reactions: iPadified

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The expectation is straightforward: affordability. Why demand a higher price for top-tier specifications when your device runs the same applications as the cheaper alternative?
The Mac Pro runs the same applications as the Mac Mini and Mac Air.

Am I alone in perceiving this absurdity?
Yes, I'm starting to think so...

If you've shelled out $2000 for an iPad, it ought to function as a laptop replacement by then!
If you've shelled out $2000, it ought to be very good at what you bought it to do. The iPad Pro meets that bar for me.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Oh the goal posts have moved alright - on the actual motivation behind this thread. Apparently the “forgotten purpose” is now being able to afford the most advanced iPad tech at the same prices at what the iPad was at launch.

I totally get that the goal post you’re referring to is now an expectation that “Pro” can actually fulfill what many consider to be “Pro” purposes - hence all the calls for macOS - this has been repeated ad nauseum, but it is a fair opinion / perspective.

I’m just not happy that the OP has not been very honest about what exactly the “goal post” they’ve been referring to is.
I think the main motivation behind threads like this is to wax philosophical about Apple related topics. I'm not saying that it's done effectively at some times. But I think that's all the actual goal is here.

And, I don't think that expectation is at all limited to the iPad Pro. I think it extends to pretty much all of them, save for the iPad mini (whose only serious deviation in expectation from Jobs' original mission statement with the iPad is support for the Apple Pencil). I think the problem is that unless the app you are using serves your needs on one of these higher-end iPads (presumably with hardware features that legitimately lend themselves well to that particular use case), the rest of the iPadOS experience doesn't lend itself well to any of what Apple markets all of these iPads as being able to do beyond that original mission statement.

cjsuk

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2024
Exactly. It’s just a marketing term that the extreme minority that wrongly wants MacOS constantly obsesses over.

Don’t merge two devices. Buy a Mac.

This is the correct approach. At least one vendor (Microsoft) has trashed their entire portfolio trying to make one software platform do everything. They burned their entire mobile proposition to the ground and heavily compromised their desktop operating system for years.

I see the devices as complimentary. My typical academic workflow is writing up notes on the iPad by hand, then typesetting them on the Mac. Typesetting on an iPad would be a nightmare. Writing on a Mac would be a nightmare. There are many use cases which are complimentary here.

As for the general utility, my daughter's school actually issue them with an iPad with a keyboard case for everything. surely that fulfils the original question?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
That's not what the original aim of the iPad was at all. Take a look at these screenshots from the announcement of the first iPad (thanks 2010 for the 360p resolution):

View attachment 2376318
View attachment 2376319
The iPad wasn't meant as a miniaturised laptop. In fact Steve Jobs explicitly made a point of this by roasting netbooks, saying that they were just cheap laptops that run clunky PC software. If he were still alive, the idea of putting Mac OS, which has no considerations whatsoever around optimising it for tablet use, like so many people on MacRumors seem to want, he'd have a fit.

He didn't want the iPad to be a secondary device, he wanted it to be people's first choice for many tasks, namely the above ones, and in my opinion the iPad is still unambiguously better at these things than a phone (except music) and a laptop.

In a nutshell, he basically wanted it to be the perfect consumption device. And for millions of people it is. The aim of replacing a laptop only really came in the mid 10s when the iPad Pro came out, and that's still a work in progress. And as for affordability, as some have already pointed out, the base iPad, the spiritual successor to the original, is less than half the price of the original when it first came out, adjusted for inflation.
So the iPad should be affordable for many users. It seems, Apple direction on releasing iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard and stage manager plus FCP are not aligned with this iPad’s original idea.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
$499 was the first price of the iPad in 2010. According to an inflation calculator that is equivalent of $714 today. So even the iPad Air at $599 is CHEAPER today than the original iPad (in terms of real dollars).
If you're adding inflation, you should add economies of scale. The first CDR writer I bought was $400, now they cost under $50. Tech is suppose to get cheaper as time goes on.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
The best ipad are air or pro that are 2-4 years old.

They cost 200-400. You get the same OS as the latest models, pencil support and future proof specs without spending $600-1000.
:cool::apple:
You also get worse battery, cosmetic imperfections, and a screen with mini scratches and dings everywhere. No thanks.

Reactions: cjsuk

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
This is the correct approach. At least one vendor (Microsoft) has trashed their entire portfolio trying to make one software platform do everything. They burned their entire mobile proposition to the ground and heavily compromised their desktop operating system for years.

I see the devices as complimentary. My typical academic workflow is writing up notes on the iPad by hand, then typesetting them on the Mac. Typesetting on an iPad would be a nightmare. Writing on a Mac would be a nightmare. There are many use cases which are complimentary here.

As for the general utility, my daughter's school actually issue them with an iPad with a keyboard case for everything. surely that fulfils the original question?
Apple also probably knows that this is a minority, and they have better ways than me.

Look, from what I’ve seen, MacRumors is a community of heavier users than the average person. Obliterating the iPad via MacOS has LOST on polls here. If not even this minority of power users has within itself a majority that wants that garbage approach... what makes anyone think people at large want this?

Reactions: cjsuk

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You also get worse battery, cosmetic imperfections, and a screen with mini scratches and dings everywhere. No thanks.
Yeah, I’ve never liked buying used especially due to your first point: people update devices, updates worsen battery life and performance.

If I’m not forced to, I like to keep devices on original iOS versions (iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 and iPad Air 5 on iPadOS 15). Buying an older iPad would preclude me from doing this.

Probably very difficult to find, say, a 3rd-gen iPad Pro on iOS 12 for sale.

Even if they’re on perfect condition, they aren’t perfect (for me).

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Then don’t buy the Pro if you see no value in it. It’s not that difficult. You have the $600 Air if you want a good spec iPad for less.

Reactions: sparksd

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles

They demand a higher price because it is the very best ipad. That's it. That's the entire reason.

And for very many people it can replace a laptop. For those that it can't, or prefer them, Apple still makes Laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.