Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
When it comes to the Watch I think it was a case of Apple not wanting to look like they just created a more expensive FitBit. And the company was still in the app mentality so that’s why they pushed apps for it. But over time as they figured out people were mostly using it as a fitness device (and as the health/fitness related technology became better) they pivoted to pushing it as a health and fitness device.

I view the Apple watch as primarily a handy cell phone device that also communicates stuff, like the time. So does my wife. The health stuff is useful, sure. And so is the calculator. And the alarms. etc etc.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've been pondering over something lately, and I couldn't help but notice how Apple seems to have lost sight of the original purpose behind the iPad. Remember when it was positioned as the perfect middle ground between a computer and a laptop? A companion device, ideal for light work, school tasks, or on-the-go productivity?

But now, take a look at the current iPad lineup. The prices have skyrocketed, putting them in the range of high-end laptops, yet they can't even run a basic macOS. It's perplexing. Why invest in an iPad when you can get a more versatile and capable laptop for less?

Technological capabilities of hardware have moved on.

If you want an iPad aligned with the original intent, you want a base model iPad - not an Air, not a Pro.

Reactions: iPadified

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I think the thread is very interesting as it is more about the philosophy of the iPad. I would say the original intent of the iPad is still there. The success of the iPad (it sells much better than Macs in numbers) explains the diversity in the lineup and the ever increasing numbers of very advanced apps usable for work.

So why is the iPad a success? Possibly because it is a no nonsense devices for the masses or rather for people who are not "computer nerds". "It is just a big iPhone," that many uses at MR and tech sphere to put MacOS on iPad, is actually what drives the success of the iPad in my opinion. Likewise, the reduced feature list of apps is an advantage because it simplifies usage for the masses even if it in some edge cases is a limitation.

"iPad Pro" is positioned the same way as MBP Mx Max, Mac Studio and Mac Pro are positioned in the Mac lineup.

"iPad Air" is positioned as the high end MacBook Air, low-end MBP and iMac.

"iPad" is positioned as the Mac mini, lower end MacBook Air and low end iMac.

For a category that is selling twice as many devices as Mac, the iPad Pro makes lot of sense as is the diversity of the iPad lineup.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
I miss the days when the iPad was a budget-friendly option for those who didn't need all the bells and whistles of a full-fledged computer but still wanted something more substantial than a smartphone.
Why, did they magically stop producing the iPad, the iPad Mini and the iPad Air all of a sudden?

The lineup is made it so peple can decide what bells and they are willing to pay for.

You post make it seems like the only option available is the iPad Pro 13 with 2 tb of storage, the reality is that we have now a cheaper iPad compared to the first iPad with the mini and we gho all the way up to a computer like iPad with higer prices, with all the colore in between.

We have never had such a wide range of choice in any other Apple lineup (Mini, iPad, Air x 2 sizes, Pro x 2 sizes), glad the iPad is not stuck 15 years ago.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
One thing that annoys me about the iPad in Australia, is that our cellular companies charge a lot for data. If Apple had just put in an electronic cellular phone sim capability, then iPad uses could not only use it as a phone, but they could buy the data via the cellular company via a cell phone deal, for a fraction of the price of pure data via the cell connection in an iPad.

Another thing that really annoys me about iPad is its lack of weatherproofing. Even the cheap iPhone SE is IP67 - depth of 1 meter up to 30 minutes). And iPhone 15 is proofed to Rated IP68 (maximum depth of 6 meters up to 30 minutes).

Now Apple has the new Nano available for outdoor Pro users. Terrific. But it ain't even rain proof. Apple would have huge market for the boating and outdoors markets if they just sealed an iPad it like an iPhone. Its just darn stupid. As an example, a 7" screen on a yacht for navigation etc, costs around $US$3,000. But that yacht screen is connected via either a cable or even by WiFi. There is software to run the same capabities of the yacht monitor, that works fine on an iPhone or an iPad. Boats have typically three or four of these costly monitors. They would only need one if iPads were weatherproof. And oh - waterproof the cases suck. Apple doesn't even sell a water proof casing for the iPad. That's not at all professional.

And they new keyboard for the iPad Pro doesn't seem to be spill proof ... the Folio could take a coffee spill and outdoor use ... Apple advertised it with water on the keyboard ...

Last edited:
Reactions: iPadified

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If you think an iPad is just “great for consuming content or casual browsing” and nothing else…you need to start using an iPad a bit more.

...Or not because clearly an iPad doesn't suit that person's needs?

An iPad is only as good as the apps and content running on it. The iPadOS operating system doesn't offer any real capability beyond what iOS offers in iPhones, save for one or two convoluted multitasking conventions that aren't as good in practice as they are in theory. The entire premise of an iPad replacing one's laptop, at least as Apple sees it today, revolves around how much any given app can utilize all of that hardware. Because iPadOS certainly isn't providing desktop class anything above the hood.

Why, did they magically stop producing the iPad, the iPad Mini and the iPad Air all of a sudden?

The lineup is made it so peple can decide what bells and they are willing to pay for.

You post make it seems like the only option available is the iPad Pro 13 with 2 tb of storage, the reality is that we have now a cheaper iPad compared to the first iPad with the mini and we gho all the way up to a computer like iPad with higer prices, with all the colore in between.

We have never had such a wide range of choice in any other Apple lineup (Mini, iPad, Air x 2 sizes, Pro x 2 sizes), glad the iPad is not stuck 15 years ago.

That's not what that person is saying. That person is saying that the iPad is being positioned as a computer replacement more than it is an in-between device.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
One thing that annoys me about the iPad in Australia, is that our cellular companies charge a lot for data. If Apple had just put in an electronic cellular phone sim capability, then iPad uses could not only use it as a phone, but they could buy the data via the cellular company via a cell phone deal, for a fraction of the price of pure data via the cell connection in an iPad.

Have you tried? I have, and I believe I have even done so in Australia, but I am not entirely sure. Of course you will not be able to actually use the phone capability of the plan, but data should work fine.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Have you tried? I have, and I believe I have even done so in Australia, but I am not entirely sure. Of course you will not be able to actually use the phone capability of the plan, but data should work fine.
OK - but to do so, one would need to have the cell capability in the iPad.

We actually do not need the cellular capability. We just need the GPS. And the WiFi iPad lacks a GPS chip. I guess antennas to seek GPS satellites as well.

I am not sure whether WhatsApp calls would work though. Or another internet based phone service. Of course the video talks apps all work on the iPad.

My wife is the iPad user. She likes map planning, and we have a bush going caravan and 4WD setup. There is rarely cellular in the Australian bush. And sometimes a town will only have one cellular company (there are three cellular operators in Australia - Singapore's Singtel owned Optus, the biggest is Australia's Telstra, and also Vodafone). So as soon as you leave a town, you loose cellular, and hence you loose mapping. But with a GPS - the chip costs about $1.23 - then a mapping app knows where the iPad is.

I also have the elon musk satellite internet setup - StarLink - for the caravan, but haven't installed it yet. If it worked while moving (and it might) then some apps might know where we would be. But I think an iPad for our outback would need the GPS chip. We certainly would not need cellular data though - it's much cheaper here to download via a phone. And the StarLink setup promises fast Ethernet and lots of data.

Last edited:

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
...Or not because clearly an iPad doesn't suit that person's needs?

An iPad is only as good as the apps and content running on it. The iPadOS operating system doesn't offer any real capability beyond what iOS offers in iPhones, save for one or two convoluted multitasking conventions that aren't as good in practice as they are in theory. The entire premise of an iPad replacing one's laptop, at least as Apple sees it today, revolves around how much any given app can utilize all of that hardware. Because iPadOS certainly isn't providing desktop class anything above the hood.

That's not what that person is saying. That person is saying that the iPad is being positioned as a computer replacement more than it is an in-between device.
I don’t think so, I pad is the in between device, sure it can replace the computer, but the fact that iPad line still has mini and regular / air iPad means they really see it as a device that sits between the computer and the Phone.

The pro is nother story, while it ignited not replace the computer for some professional usage, it goes close to it being the bridge to do the same stuff when portability is a must.

I went iPad only 3 years ago, I do everything i need with it work and leisure, it just speaks how good iOS is and the iPads are, but the main focus for Apple is still a mid between iPhone and Macs.

For some pweople Apple can’t do it right, if they go too much into Mac terrritory then they are positioning it as a mac replacement, if they don’t they have released a “toy” and should have released mac ods for it..

Apple can’t win, either way they make people complain, I enjoy iPads for what they are.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Both the iPad Air and iPad are still inline with the original iPad intent. From affordable to decently priced, both have a modern look and feel, great optional accessories, great displays and a lot of power.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Both the iPad Air and iPad are still inline with the original iPad intent. From affordable to decently priced, both have a modern look and feel, great optional accessories, great displays and a lot of power.
They have kept pace in several areas although their capability is bottlenecked by their operating system. But while MacBooks battery life has improved in leaps and bounds, iPhones battery life have also improved a lot, the iPad has stayed still. It's always been a claimed 10 hours. All the iPads have the same claimed battery life too. iPads having the same battery life as they did 10 years ago doesn't match other Apple products improvements in battery life. A main strength of the iPad's is its portability. Of all Apple products, the iPad's battery life should have improved at least at the same rate of improvement as Apple's other portable devices.

Last edited:

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Apple has clearly NOT lost sight of the iPad's original intentions, as the mini and base iPads (and even the 11" Air) fit that niche just as well as the first iPad released back in 2010.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
You do realize the average price of a new car nowadays is around $48K? Things get expensive as time goes by. The Ipad is still doing what it is intended to do and that's why you hear so many people whining about it making it a Macbook replacement. It's doing what it's suppose top do, it's just more expensive now like everything else.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
You do realize the average price of a new car nowadays is around $48K? Things get expensive as time goes by. The Ipad is still doing what it is intended to do and that's why you hear so many people whining about it making it a Macbook replacement. It's doing what it's suppose top do, it's just more expensive now like everything else.
Except TVs and batteries ;)

I mean yeah, things like new phones and tablets will get more expensive overtime, mostly because of inflation, but consumer electronics as a whole has become wayyy more affordable over the last few decades.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Does anyone know how old mac users are and how old ipad users? Young people grew up with touch display smart phones while the older generation had their days with home computers w/o touch display. So typing is very important for the older ones. They chose the mac over the ipad. How about the younger ones?

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
So your point is, don't make a $1000+ iPad pro unless you put MacOS on it.
No, my point is that if you're going to label something as PRO, make it truly professional! Don't just take the same product and give it better specs. If you're going to upgrade it, ensure it allows us to do professional-level work. I can give you a list of ways to elevate the Pro to a true Pro level without relying on macOS if you'd like. The problem is that Apple is selling you the same thing, just with a shinier exterior!

Reactions: Yebubbleman

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Since many others have already mentioned the cheaper iPads that are still available, I’ll address this part.

What exactly is “serious work?” What specifically does your laptop do that you can’t do or at least find an alternative for?
The multitouch feature on iOS devices is absolutely amazing. When you've experienced editing video or audio using just your hands, going back to the desktop feels outdated. While I typically use Protools for audio production, the introduction by Cubase of a way to edit using the iPad as an extension of the desktop app was a game changer for me and my colleagues. However, the limitations of iOS prevent us from performing regular tasks that could easily be accomplished if Apple expanded the iOS capabilities.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think the 10th gen iPad does just that. With the price drop, it's now a great device for the price. Apple has done a good job, in general, of keeping an affordable iPad model around. My only current complaint is that the apple folio keyboard is way overpriced for the market. It should run around $100.
Thank you for this.
So many get hopped up on the hype of the higher-end iPads that they ignore or dismiss the value and capabilities of the base models. (not just the 10th gen, but the 9th before that as well)

The hyperbole of marketing and the eco-chamber of FOMO work exceedingly well to paint the base model as a blurry, laggy mess, that shouldn't even be allowed to exist.

The price of the keyboard folio is the biggest reason for not upgrading from the 9th gen. I'm over my need for a physical home button (primarily because of my extensive use of a Galaxy Tab S6 Lite 2022) 😁

I'm a rando caveman who is old enough to remember how Apple shocked the tech world when they announced the 1st gen iPad. All the "experts" and pundits predicted an MSRP of $999. The MSRP started at $499.

I preordered a 1st gen iPad and keyboard doc on the first day that preorders were accepted. That 1st gen iPad was amazing. I still have it and use it (see my post on vintage TV re-fit).

The base iPads are even more amazing. Apple is not known for selling products that are bargains, but these base iPads are legitimate tech bargains.

Some of the MR regulars here may recall that I was on a slow but steady path to exit Appleland (mostly due to the lack of reasonably priced products and restrictive functionality). But just as I think I've made the final move, Apple surprises me. So as long as I can still get bargains, I'm still in it. 😂🤣😂

Reactions: DerKommissar

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
No, my point is that if you're going to label something as PRO, make it truly professional! Don't just take the same product and give it better specs. If you're going to upgrade it, ensure it allows us to do professional-level work. I can give you a list of ways to elevate the Pro to a true Pro level without relying on macOS if you'd like. The problem is that Apple is selling you the same thing, just with a shinier exterior!
That's not what I had understood from your orginal post. I made my own wishlist of features to improve iPadOS in another thread.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
The purpose of the iPad is decided by each individual user. We all have different wants and needs. My iPad Pro is my most used Apple Device by far. If something happens to my iPad, I would be at the Apple Store that day to get another.

Reactions: rui no onna

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
The entire premise of an iPad replacing one's laptop, at least as Apple sees it today, revolves around how much any given app can utilize all of that hardware. Because iPadOS certainly isn't providing desktop class anything above the hood.
I take it you didn’t see the recent comment by Apple VP Tom Boger that iPads and MacBooks are intended by Apple to be complementary, not competitive products. In other words, Apple’s not wanting your iPad to replace anything (except older iPads and Microsoft Surfaces).

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I take it you didn’t see the recent comment by Apple VP Tom Boger that iPads and MacBooks are intended by Apple to be complementary, not competitive products. In other words, Apple’s not wanting your iPad to replace anything (except older iPads and Microsoft Surfaces).
Oh, I totally saw that. Doesn't mean that they aren't still positioning it that way anyway. We're talking about the one Apple product family with the most nebulous marketing goals ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.