Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Astropad today confirmed that its updated version of Rock Paper Pencil is compatible with the 2024 iPad Pro and iPad Air models. Rock Paper Pencil is a screen protector and Apple Pencil tip duo designed to mimic the feel of writing on paper with a pen.

rock-paper-pencil-3.jpg

Rock Paper Pencil combines a removable screen protector with a unique Apple Pencil tip to replicate the feel of writing on paper. The NanoCling Screen Protector adheres to the iPad's display using static cling, and it can easily be put on and taken off when it's not needed, with no adhesive residue.

The Pencil tip can hold up to heavy daily use with a wear-resistant copper alloy core and palladium coating. The tip is equivalent to a standard 0.7mm ballpoint pen for a pleasant note taking experience. The kit includes two pencil tips and a protective storage sleeve for the screen protector.

Rock Paper Pencil is priced at $40 and can be purchased from the Astropad website. The 13-inch version is compatible with the 13-inch iPad Pro and iPad Air, while there are separate versions for the 11-inch iPad Air and the 11-inch iPad Pro.

Article Link: Astropad's Paper-Like Screen Protector and Apple Pencil Tip Works With M4 iPad Pro

motorazr

macrumors 6502
Sounds gimmicky
If you write, draw or sketch it’s the first thing I’ve found “fixes” the feeling and sound. It’s not quite paper, but it’s honestly a worth while $40 from my experience.

I don’t like screen protectors. I don’t use them generally. But this is so different; I’ve used iPad since day one (iPhone too) - I’ve tried countless stylus options that have come and gone (paper by 53 made an ok device long ago).

Apple Pencil fixed the accuracy issue all other styluses on iPads didn’t solve; but it felt gummy or slick depending on age of device and pressure. Also the sound was like tapping on glass over and over, to me maddening.

I prefer a scratchy but firm sound, reminds me of a sharp solid pencil; and the way it moves isn’t sticky or slick. It’s much more paper like in that way.

I don’t work for them, or with them, but honestly it’s a good tool I can’t recommend enough.

Last edited:

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
This is a really excellent product. I love the feel of drawing with the screen protector in-place and using the replacement stylus. And the look of the protector is "matte" which I'd not be surprised pretty much replicates the effect of the new $$$$ matte coating you can order with the new iPads.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
So wasn’t this just Sherlocked by Apple ?
I would say Paperlike was Sherlocked by Apple because Paperlike stays on while Astropad can be removed any time you want without having to buy a new one.

One thing I can also say is that besides Astropad, I also bought a generic one from Amazon. IMO, it works just as well for a much smaller price. The Amazon one was only $13.

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
Am considering getting a screen protector for my M2 iPP, either Paperlike or Astropad, in hopes the surface will be more paper-like for sketching (aside from occasionally marking up PDFs, I don't use my stylus for writing).

Astropad appeals because it's removable and Paperlike is said to slightly reduce clarity (especially noticeable in dark mode and when film and photo editing) and to produce rainbow effects. OTOH Paperlike's surface is said to be excellent for sketching with the Apple Pencil as is (without a special tip) though it does go through tips faster.

Any reccos? Thanks.

ETA: Does this question belong in a forum instead of a comments thread? Haven't spent any time on that part of the site...

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Am considering getting a screen protector for my M2 iPP, either Paperlike or Astropad, in hopes the surface will be more paper-like for sketching (aside from occasionally marking up PDFs, I don't use my stylus for writing).

Astropad appeals because it's removable and Paperlike is said to slightly reduce clarity (especially noticeable in dark mode and when film and photo editing) and to produce rainbow effects. OTOH Paperlike's surface is said to be excellent for sketching with the Apple Pencil as is (without a special tip) though it does go through tips faster.

Any reccos? Thanks.

I used both versions of Astropad's protector and Paperlike v2. The feel is quite comparable, and Astropad one comes with a metal nib that enhances the feel even further (although you don't have to use it).

One downside of removable screen protectors (like the Astropad one) is that on edges of the screen, you can sometimes feel the gap, the protector feels slightly loose (but only edges, not a big deal). On the other hand, they have 2 really big benefits: 1. you can remove and reapply them whenever you want and 2. installation is much, much easier and completely bubble-free.

I would suggest the Astropad one, for sure.

PurringPigeon

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2016
I have used both version on my iPad pro, I do not recommend them. They put a gasoline oil slick on water look on the screen which is highly noticeable on very dark and very light screens. Version 2 seems even more prone to it. I like the feel of drawing on it, but I have abandoned it as it is just to obfuscating for me.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010

Any reccos? Thanks.
Paperlike and Astropad will both reduce clarity on the screen and muddy the blacks. I've tried both. Astropad, IMO, is superior because you can remove it. I absolutely hated losing the clarity of my nice glossy mini-LED screen so I removed Paperlike permanently and didn't get anything for a long time until Astropad came along. But now there are cheap alternatives on Amazon, too, that will do the same thing as Astropad, so you actually have more than two options.

I don't understand why anyone would ruin their incredible OLED or mini-LED screen permanently. That goes for Apple's nano-texture screen as well. You might as well have an ordinary LCD screen on an iPad Air. I would recommend getting any that is removable. That way you can enjoy your mini-LED screen unless you have a need to draw.

jomo25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
OK, so I have the Rock Paper Pencil v2 on my M2 iPad Pro 12.9. So is this saying that it will work on the M4 iPad Pro 13? Or do I need to purchase a newly released RPPv2 product for the new M4 Pro 13? It looks like they sell one for each, not one product for both.

If the former, then wont the border on the long iPad edge interfere with the cameras? Sorry, I’m a bit confused and looking for clarity here…

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
$US40? You have to be kidding me. Does this piece of writing plastic also come infused with AI at this price?

Rock Paper Pencil, killing one planet at a time.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
OK, so I have the Rock Paper Pencil v2 on my M2 iPad Pro 12.9. So is this saying that it will work on the M4 iPad Pro 13? Or do I need to purchase a newly released RPPv2 product for the new M4 Pro 13? It looks like they sell one for each, not one product for both.

If the former, then wont the border on the long iPad edge interfere with the cameras? Sorry, I’m a bit confused and looking for clarity here…
The current one does work on the new M4 iPad Pros but you are correct that the FaceID cameras would be covered up. I just tested my Astrapad and it does interfere with FaceID. It tells me to enter my PIN code instead. The fit isn't perfect either since the sizes between the 2024 IPP and earlier ones aren't exactly the same, but the size differential isn't meaningful. It still covers the usable screen in its entirety. If temporarily blocking your cameras is a deal breaker, you might want to wait for version 2.0 of Astrapad for when they resize it slightly and move the notch to the landscape orientation.

If you only use it occasionally, then it's not really a problem. If you want one now and don't want to wait for an optimized version 2, then I suggest buying a cheap alternative from Amazon. The one I got from there was $13.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The Pencil Pro has a Taptic-Engine and precision positional sensors in the gyroscope and U1 ultra wide band chip. The Taptic-Engine is capable of reproducing textures.

I foresee a future update enabling the Pencil Pro to simulate the feeling of paper and other textures when writing on a surface, and even when not, as this Pencil Pro appears to have been engineered to work in three dimensional space: Spatial drawing, like a magic wand.

Reactions: SFjohn

mrscott4

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2021

Astropad today confirmed that its updated version of Rock Paper Pencil is compatible with the 2024 iPad Pro and iPad Air models. Rock Paper Pencil is a screen protector and Apple Pencil tip duo designed to mimic the feel of writing on paper with a pen.

rock-paper-pencil-3.jpg

Rock Paper Pencil combines a removable screen protector with a unique Apple Pencil tip to replicate the feel of writing on paper. The NanoCling Screen Protector adheres to the iPad's display using static cling, and it can easily be put on and taken off when it's not needed, with no adhesive residue.

The Pencil tip can hold up to heavy daily use with a wear-resistant copper alloy core and palladium coating. The tip is equivalent to a standard 0.7mm ballpoint pen for a pleasant note taking experience. The kit includes two pencil tips and a protective storage sleeve for the screen protector.

Rock Paper Pencil is priced at $40 and can be purchased from the Astropad website. The 13-inch version is compatible with the 13-inch iPad Pro and iPad Air, while there are separate versions for the 11-inch iPad Air and the 11-inch iPad Pro.

Article Link: Astropad's Paper-Like Screen Protector and Apple Pencil Tip Works With M4 iPad Pro
Anyone know if this will work with the 2024 Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro (M4)?? Does the keyboard close properly?

attohs

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
California
Is it compatible with the matte display option? That’s what I went with. I have this product on my M2 Pro and want to know if it carries over.

For people who currently write on the iPad fine, no this product is not worth it. It introduces a new learning curve and causes electrical issues with the pencil if your skin makes contact with the metal tip.

(Don’t believe me? Then why can you write with the “eraser” end of the iPad Pencil if the metal tip is touching your skin?)

• Wow
Reactions: wtn

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I would love it if the iPhone Pro Max would support the Apple Pencil

ThomasDmm

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
Hi everybody, this paper run with a screen protection or need to be directly on the ipad's screen ?
Astropad have a store in europe ?

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Interesting. Some will really like this. I prefer the normal Pencil with the normal display of my iPad Pro

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
The Pencil Pro has a Taptic-Engine and precision positional sensors in the gyroscope and U1 ultra wide band chip. The Taptic-Engine is capable of reproducing textures.

I foresee a future update enabling the Pencil Pro to simulate the feeling of paper and other textures when writing on a surface, and even when not, as this Pencil Pro appears to have been engineered to work in three dimensional space: Spatial drawing, like a magic wand.

Battery will deplete too fast if it is vibrating the pencil constantly. No artist is asking for this. Pen display tablets mostly have battery free pens so they work forever and ever and artists don’t need to think about vibrations and recharging. That option won’t work on iPad unfortunately.

Three dimensional drawing in VR never become popular because artists need to feel a solid resistance against their body so they can make precise drawing. A haptic engine doesn’t solve this.

Reactions: BotchQue
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.