Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreak98

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2009
I have used both version on my iPad pro, I do not recommend them. They put a gasoline oil slick on water look on the screen which is highly noticeable on very dark and very light screens. Version 2 seems even more prone to it. I like the feel of drawing on it, but I have abandoned it as it is just to obfuscating for me.

I found this to be the case as well with V2 (having had both with my 2018 iPad Pro). I generally tolerated it because I love the feel of the writing and my 2018’s screen was already looking tired and inferior to just about every other device I had. So I wasn’t giving up that much.

I was debating between the standard and nanotexture 2024 iPad Pro and ended up with the regular (for now) given all the comments from reviewers about how fantastic a screen it is.

I may still give my Astropad protector a try on the new device. But that swirling, moire pattern in V2 was definitely annoying on my 2018. It’ll be more painful if it mars the beauty of this new display… Will keep people posted and interested to hear others’ experiences.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
In a timely manner, I suppose, there’s a new Astropad Rock Paper Pencil that they’re selling that is compatible with the 11” and 13” 2024 iPad Pros. It doesn’t ship for five weeks, but it does mean there won’t be any issues with blocking the FaceID camera array. If you wanted to buy one, make sure you pre-order the new one instead of picking up the old one.

Reactions: zapmymac

fooyork

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
Can someone tell me if this can be put on and taken off as many times as you like? I have been looking for something like this, but I don’t want a permanent screen protector as they make some things (like watching video) terrible…

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Can someone tell me if this can be put on and taken off as many times as you like? I have been looking for something like this, but I don’t want a permanent screen protector as they make some things (like watching video) terrible…
The Astropad Rock, Paper, Pencil is attached by static cling, basically. It can be put on and removed as many times as you want. This is unlike Paperlike, which is attached with adhesive and will be ruined if removed. Rock, Paper, Pencil would work for you sinice you want a removable one. But as I mentioned in the previous post, get the one that works with the new iPad.

fooyork

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
The Astropad Rock, Paper, Pencil is attached by static cling, basically. It can be put on and removed as many times as you want. This is unlike Paperlike, which is attached with adhesive and will be ruined if removed. Rock, Paper, Pencil would work for you sinice you want a removable one. But as I mentioned in the previous post, get the one that works with the new iPad.
Hi Tobybrut… thank so much for confirming! I have placed a pre-order!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.