Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shanewtravel

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Can you tell me what it says? It’s happened to me once, when 1/2 worked.

Does Bluetooth stay connected the whole time to AutoKit-BT? As mine connects to it but then shows disconnected all the time
I will post a YouTube video later tonight showing the startup time, and the translations (it says “Waiting for Connection” first, then “Connecting...”).

Also, the vendor did tell me that Mode 3 (you can choose between Modes 1, 2 and 3 with the rotary dial when it is booting) is more compatible. I did notice it was less scratchy using this mode.

Reactions: MrMister111

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I will post a YouTube video later tonight showing the startup time, and the translations (it says “Waiting for Connection” first, then “Connecting...”).

Also, the vendor did tell me that Mode 3 (you can choose between Modes 1, 2 and 3 with the rotary dial when it is booting) is more compatible. I did notice it was less scratchy using this mode.

Thanks will be good to look as been on again and still not working for me.

I see a flash up on screen of mode, do t get long enough to get the option (if can on mine), to change.

Also can you show the dongle box and what nights are what, as can’t get info from manufacturer.

On your iPhone, does the Bluetooth stay connected to Auto-BT permanently when it’s on? Is WiFi permanently connected?

Have been given any updates from manufacturer to flash your dongle? I’ve had 3, I follow the procedure but there’s nothing to say if it’s worked or not, as in led flashing or something...

Sorry I may come back with more questions, as yours seems to work, and so want mine to, it’s listed on 1 site selling it that my car is supported.....

Last edited:

shanewtravel

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks will be good to look as been on again and still not working for me.

I see a flash up on screen of mode, do t get long enough to get the option (if can on mine), to change.

Also can you show the dongle box and what nights are what, as can’t get info from manufacturer.

On your iPhone, does the Bluetooth stay connected to Auto-BT permanently when it’s on? Is WiFi permanently connected?

Have been given any updates from manufacturer to flash your dongle? I’ve had 3, I follow the procedure but there’s nothing to say if it’s worked or not, as in led flashing or something...

Sorry I may come back with more questions, as yours seems to work, and so want mine to, it’s listed on 1 site selling it that my car is supported.....
I appear to have 2 lights on my dongle, from memory it flashes red when connecting for the first time, and then, as I show in the photo, it flashes blue when connected. Bluetooth disconnects after the initial connection, and then WiFi connects (and stays connected).

I was sent one firmware update, which I just put on a thumb drive and somehow it updated -- there were no messages, etc, on the screen. The only way I knew something happened was the firmware version number in the bottom right of the boot screen had a different number.
Carlinkit-Audi-A4.jpg

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks, that’s what mine seems to do then, as in get a red LED, then a flashing blue, Bluetooth disconnects, WiFi connects.

However then on the screen CarPlay icon flashes up, black screen with Chinese writing flashes up, then the CarPlay icon disappears.

However just tried again, and all I got after waiting minutes is solid red LED. Does yours auto connect when you get in your car every time now?

Wish would work! Would be so convenient.... waiting for another update, does it show version on black screen you mean? How long does this screen stay on, before CarPlay appears? what is yours showing now?

shanewtravel

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
However just tried again, and all I got after waiting minutes is solid red LED. Does yours auto connect when you get in your car every time now?
It connects every time I get in the car; no setup on the car end or the phone end
[automerge]1570067484[/automerge]
Here is a quick video of how the Carlinkit Wireless Activator works with my Audi A4:

Also, if you are having connection issues, have you unpaired your car itself from your phone? I read somewhere that the dongle won't work if you have an existing connection to the inbuilt system in your car?

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks, can you confirm that the dongle lights once you’re in the car is always flashing blue LED and no red LED?

Where is the version you say? On the black screen I can’t see it, unless in Chinese as well?

So what happens on mine compared to yours is I only get the black screen flash up, then it quits and goes to my normal car home screen.

I can see it now says mode 3, as it seemed with leaving it, that first said Mode 1, then mode 2, and now mode 3.

Can you click on the WiFi and Bluetooth for it and see what it says. Mine has a CarPlay toggle which is switched on.

Very frustrating....

Last edited:

shanewtravel

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks, can you confirm that the dongle lights once you’re in the car is always flashing blue LED and no red LED?

Where is the version you say? On the black screen I can’t see it, unless in Chinese as well?

I only see the solid red LED when the dongle cannot find the phone (I put the phone in airplane mode to test that), but when it is connected is always flashes the blue LED.

The version number installed on my device is 2019.09.23.1727COP, it shows it in the bottom right of the screen when booting (if you look at my video, you can see where it is shown - you might have to make it sell screen to read it).

What car w/ CarPlay are you using? Audi as well? I don't know if they show different things on different makes and models

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Mines a Vauxhall. Decent system, just wish this would work.

I’m waiting (another) update, have my doubts though. Trouble is I’m not sure these updates are actually going on as can’t see the version!

shanewtravel

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Mines a Vauxhall. Decent system, just wish this would work.

I’m waiting (another) update, have my doubts though. Trouble is I’m not sure these updates are actually going on as can’t see the version!
Ah, I have access to a Chevrolet Volt; since it is a GM car like Vauxhall I tried plugging in the dongle to see what would happen. It did show up, but would not go to the CarPlay screen, it just sat at the "Connecting..." prompt. It did show the version number though.

chevy-volt.jpg

Good luck...I hope the next update works!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Ah, I have access to a Chevrolet Volt; since it is a GM car like Vauxhall I tried plugging in the dongle to see what would happen. It did show up, but would not go to the CarPlay screen, it just sat at the "Connecting..." prompt. It did show the version number though.

View attachment 866287

Good luck...I hope the next update works!

Thanks for that, is it an Intelilink system by any chance?

So yours stuck on there, mine doesn’t even do this but drops all the time. I really need to find another car with CarPlay on yo test to see if it’s a hardware fault.

Mine initially was on mode 1, but leaving for a long while, it then flashed mode 2, then disconnecting in between, onto mode 3.

I might reset it again, as now it won’t even try for some reason, just sits on solid red. Forgetting the Bluetooth doesn’t help.

I’ll feed back to the manufacturer also, thanks for helping and trying

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Here, Chevrolet call it the MyLink system; not sure if it is the same thing or not.

Thanks, looked on YT and a little different. Also managed to get version number when it popped up for a second on screen on my phone, it’s the same version as yours.

I’m now trying to explain, it’s difficult, if I’ve actually been sent a new version or not....

snorkrat

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
Thanks, looked on YT and a little different. Also managed to get version number when it popped up for a second on screen on my phone, it’s the same version as yours.

I’m now trying to explain, it’s difficult, if I’ve actually been sent a new version or not....

Thanks for the updates. I have a Vauxhall Astra with the wired CarPlay... was tempted by this dongle but will wait to see if you have any success first lol. Thanks for being the tester! Haha.

Reactions: Blum keilany

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks for the updates. I have a Vauxhall Astra with the wired CarPlay... was tempted by this dongle but will wait to see if you have any success first lol.
Is yours Intellilink system? I’m hoping to try on another car, I do think it’s specific though and hopefully they can get a firmware update to get it working.

Thanks for being the tester! Haha.
someone has to

snorkrat

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
Is yours Intellilink system? I’m hoping to try on another car, I do think it’s specific though and hopefully they can get a firmware update to get it working.

someone has to
Yes mine is the intellilink system. Been dying for them to release a software update to enable wireless CarPlay as we have both Bluetooth and WiFi but I doubt that will happen so something like this is our only hope xD

jashworth03

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I'm so close to buying one of these to give it a try.

I am driving a Chevrolet and I would love to be able to plug in the dongle to USB and then have it connect wirelessly each time I get in the car.

I wish this was an Amazon Prime item, I would buy test and return without reservation or fear!

Anyone try and get this working on Chevy yet?

Reactions: Blum keilany

mykolasbr

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2019
I bought mine at https://carplay2air.com for Audi Q7 and it works great, it’s great when I no longer have to plug in the phone and use wireless charging simultaneously. They seems to be working on updates also, just shoot them a message and they will tell you if it is supported or not

I'm so close to buying one of these to give it a try.

I am driving a Chevrolet and I would love to be able to plug in the dongle to USB and then have it connect wirelessly each time I get in the car.

I wish this was an Amazon Prime item, I would buy test and return without reservation or fear!

Anyone try and get this working on Chevy yet?

Reactions: Azzin

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I. They seems to be working on updates also, just shoot them a message and they will tell you if it is supported or not
i did ask and they said yeh... and it doesn’t.

Also they’ve sent an update, and as it didn’t connect you have to update with it plugged into a USB wall plug. Mine won’t update though for some reason so I’m stuck.

Correct_Map

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
I bought mine at https://carplay2air.com for Audi Q7 and it works great, it’s great when I no longer have to plug in the phone and use wireless charging simultaneously. They seems to be working on updates also, just shoot them a message and they will tell you if it is supported or not
Do you mind sharing how the experience is like? Is there significant/observable delay by adding the dongle, or is it the same as regular carplay? Also, how quickly does it connect when you start the car up? Thanks in advance ?

rodgermc1

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2019
My carplay2air just arrived. I set it up as the directions said on a Ford Sync3. It worked a couple of times and then would not work. I finally figured out the while waiting for it to connect do not press the carplay button on the screen. Just give it a little time and it will pop up. I used the mode 3.

Reactions: Azzin

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
My carplay2air just arrived. I set it up as the directions said on a Ford Sync3. It worked a couple of times and then would not work. I finally figured out the while waiting for it to connect do not press the carplay button on the screen. Just give it a little time and it will pop up. I used the mode 3.

What’s the CarPlay2air? Is it the same as the CarLinkIt dongle talked about previously?

Can you do a little video to show what you mean? What do the lights in the dongle show?

Mine, (a CarLinkIt), flashes up the CarPlay icon on my screen, but then disappears and doesn’t come back.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.