Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
It is possible. I emailed them about support for Mazda. See what happens?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Well I contacted carplay2air via their website and apparently their device will give me wireless CarPlay in my 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plug in Hybrid.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
anyone else try this out? im tempted, website says works with a Jeep latest models...i have a wrangler, it isn't specific to the model. And
Anyone find it fishy the people responding to carplay2air are brand new members, with 1 or 2 posts only for this product? has anyone really tried this thing out?

Last edited:

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Anyone find it fishy the people responding to carplay2air are brand new members, with 1 or 2 posts only for this product? has anyone really tried this thing out?

rvs007

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
Canada
It may just be because people are just looking for any kind of review/feedback/information about this product and those can only be found in a few places on the internet (I came across this thread while searching for information and reviews about CARPLAY2Air, which I found out about just this afternoon!). Someone in another forum bought it and tried it out, and he said there is a lag in the audio when using the dongle for phone conversations. Aside from that, he says everything else seems to work just like on the factory (wired) head unit. I'm looking to get this for my 2019 Toyota RAV4 which has built-in Carplay. I'm just getting tired of having to connect my iphone everytime I get in the car.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
It may just be because people are just looking for any kind of review/feedback/information about this product and those can only be found in a few places on the internet (I came across this thread while searching for information and reviews about CARPLAY2Air, which I found out about just this afternoon!). Someone in another forum bought it and tried it out, and he said there is a lag in the audio when using the dongle for phone conversations. Aside from that, he says everything else seems to work just like on the factory (wired) head unit. I'm looking to get this for my 2019 Toyota RAV4 which has built-in Carplay. I'm just getting tired of having to connect my iphone everytime I get in the car.

Yep I stumbled across that Kia forum as well too. To be honest I don’t really care about the phone call delay situation I just want to get into my car put my phone down Or leave it in my pocket etc. and just fire up Waze

Agree wit you. I went ahead and bought it. Let’s see what it does. They say it’s compatible with jeep 2017 to 2020 I have a 19 Wrangler Rubicon I’d be interested to see if this actually works

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Yep I stumbled across that Kia forum as well too. To be honest I don’t really care about the phone call delay situation I just want to get into my car put my phone down Or leave it in my pocket etc. and just fire up Waze

Agree wit you. I went ahead and bought it. Let’s see what it does. They say it’s compatible with jeep 2017 to 2020 I have a 19 Wrangler Rubicon I’d be interested to see if this actually works
Please let us know how it is once you get it. Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Mine still not after numerous firmware updates. Probably more to do with factory system than the dongle. I need to try another car to confirm

ltiozzo

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Hello, I received my carplay2air adapter last week so I tried it this weekend on my Audi A5 2018.

I can see these problem...

- Sometimes the connection works but screen stay total black. I hope a firmware update resolve this problem.

- I can’t see on virtual cockpit screen the title and the artist of the current track. I can see only Unknow. Does anybody know a solution??

- if I receive a call sometimes carplay works, sometime no. I understand it happens because Bluetooth stays connect to mmi Bluetooth. I solve creating an automation with Shorcuts that set Bluetooth off when carplay is connect. When CarPlay stops, Bluetooth goes on. Now calls works well.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
ok...reporting back in, it does work. strangely, It didn't for the initial install...kept saying connecting, waiting to connect, had issues with the wifi and BT, but after a phone reboot and turned the jeep off, then back on, when everything came back online wireless CarPlay worked.

now, will it work consistently is the next questions. ill continue to see how it works over the next week or so

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
ok, checking back in after another test. Started the jeep up, it started to connect, I pressed a screen button (bad idea) and it didn't work again, I removed the USB dongle, put back in...waited like 30 seconds to touch anything, and all of a sudden the CarPlay screen came on. so im realizing, when you start the car, and it starts to boot up, just don't touch anything on the screen, and let the device boot up and launch CarPlay on it's own...ill keep testing out

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Ok...so it I have issues every time I start the car up. Couple things I’m experimenting with:

1. If I leave CarPlay as the main screen when shutting the vehicle off it connects on car start but CarPlay screen/icons don’t appear. Only the word “connecting” but CarPlay is connected.

im going to try shutting the car off with a different screen to see what happens.

The good news is with all of this, unplugging the dongle and plugging back in works every time. Just wait about 20 seconds or so and CarPlay opens every time.

minor inconvenience that I can live with if I can’t figure out why on car startup it bugs out.

mpf541-

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
So I got one of these yesterday and it connected the first time properly. After that I shut the car off and when I came back all I got was a screen saying looking for a usb device. So I thought I would re-pair ir to the car. So I deleted it from the iPhone as it said it was not connected anyway. Now the iPhone will not see it. I have rebooted the phone. All I seem to get is a red light on the device.

Any ideas how I can get this to work ?

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
So I got one of these yesterday and it connected the first time properly. After that I shut the car off and when I came back all I got was a screen saying looking for a usb device. So I thought I would re-pair ir to the car. So I deleted it from the iPhone as it said it was not connected anyway. Now the iPhone will not see it. I have rebooted the phone. All I seem to get is a red light on the device.

Any ideas how I can get this to work ?

What did you get? Carplay2air or Carkitlink from Amazon?

I'm sensing different cars have something to do with the inconsistency of working, reading on the web, various people having different issues. Not sure what you have for a vehicle, I have a Wrangler.

The first time I did it, I had issues pairing, etc...after a car shut off fully, waited about 5 min to start the car again, and rebooted my phone, everything just started to work. I re-paired, and there was CarPlay working wirelessly. Over the course of the next few hours playing with it, I started digging into things I was doing to cause it to work inconsistently. The main thing I learned is, do NOT touch the screen or controls at all for the car. After the car turns on, just let it sit for a solid 20/45 seconds. Then, CarPlay will automatically appear.

I also learned Mode 1 and 2 do not work for me, so I have to use MODE 3 on the dongle.

I also learned, in my Wrangler, even putting the vehicle in reverse before CarPlay officially starts on it's own, starts, but the screen stays black and says "connecting..." at that point, I simply unplug the dingle, and replug it in, and CarPlay starts up in about 20 seconds or so. Reverse camera must on the screen must cause this weird behavior.

The key here for me at least is, let CarPlay fully load. Even though you may see the CarPlay icon on the screen, DO NOT click it, just wait, and let CarPlay open up by itself.

This dangle (Carplay2air) is working 100% of the time so long as I wait for it to autolaunch on its own.

The dongle version I have is 2019.11.11

One last thing, I did contact the seller, he responded with this:

"Thank you for purchasing our CPLAY2air adapter! As you may already know, we are working tirelessly on our new update which will be a huge improvement from the last one. It took us a little longer than we expected, but we want to make sure that you will receive it when it is fully tested. To keep you excited here is what to expect from the new update:

• Improved connection speed
  • Improved music sound quality
  • Fixes an issue that could cause the adapter to disconnect
  • Fixes an issue that could cause track info and album artworks not appear on the screen
  • Better compatibility, it now also works with more systems, makes an models
  • All-new visual interface
  • Software translation in 12 languages

The new system will be released on 22-29th of November, so we are sure that you will be satisfied with its performance."

Again, this may vary from vehicle to vehicle. Hope this helps

mpf541-

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
I got the same response from the vendor. To me this was not an answer. This is a way of putting me off. I have a 2017 Malibu. And if I ever could get it to re-pair with bluetooth maybe I could get it working.

Not sure how I will ever get a firmware update applied to it when it won't connect to the phone any more.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
What version do you have? 2019.11.11? What iPhone do you have? What OS version?

Delete the Bluetooth device from bluetooth settings completely. Go to Settings - General - CarPlay and i'f the Auto Box device is in there, delete it. Remove the dongle.

Reboot phone, turn car off then on again. Plug dongle in after phone has booted up.

Then, go to bluetooth on the phone, look for "Autokit...", try to connect, if it keeps saying pairing unsuccessful, keep trying, many times (I had to do this too). Finally, it will pair and ask for the pair code, 0000 Enter. Then, let it do its thing. If CarPlay icon appears on your car screen, leave it alone, and just continue to wait.

If nothing still happens say up to 2 min, go to Settings - WiFi and see if Autokit shows up there, if it does, try to connect to it manually to force the connection.

These are all things I had to do at the beginning, it was frustrating, and I started to doubt, but finally....everything started to work.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
I'm trying to decide over Carplay2Air and CarlinKit.

What I could figure out without actually doing any test is that, aside from the price difference, Carplay2Air basically simulate a wireless carplay to the iPhone and on the other side it presents a wired iphone to the carplay hardware. This is just like a "bridge".

CarlinKit uses an Android Auto app (that the user must install on their auto system) to simulate a Carplay receiver on the car. So I view it as a Carplay inside Android Auto. This may explain some of the audio delays and other issues reported.

However I've seen posts and Amazon (UK) links for a CarlinKit that goes directly to the car's Carplay... hummm. Can't find that one on Amazon US.

Any thoughts? Anyone tested both and have an hands-on opinion?

Last edited:

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Based on what I see on the internet with carlinkkit i’d avoid that one. I’d 100% go with carplay2air at this point.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Based on what I see on the internet with carlinkkit i’d avoid that one. I’d 100% go with carplay2air at this point.

That's my gut feeling too. I've just found the CarlinKit for carplay systems (like the Carplay2air) on Amazon US. Same price as Carplay2Air, comming from China. Several horror stories on the reviews there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.