Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
China doesn't need root access when they have control of Apple's data centers and easy access to user data

Over two decades, Apple built the world’s most valuable company on top of China. It now assembles nearly all of its products in the country and generates a fifth of its sales there. In turn, the Chinese government has pressured Apple executives to make compromises that flout the values they espouse.

An investigation by The New York Times revealed how Apple has risked its Chinese customers’ data and aided the Chinese government’s censorship. Here are five takeaways:

• Apple stores customer data on Chinese government servers.
  • Apple now shares customer data with the Chinese government.
  • Apple proactively removes apps to placate Chinese officials.
  • Apple banned apps from a Communist Party critic.
  • Tens of thousands of iPhone apps have disappeared in China.

iPhone may be secure. But customer data is not.

If Chinese users do not back up their data on iCloud, does it mean the Chinese government cannot track their activities?

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Tim Apple time to move your manufacturing elsewhere.

I understand Somalia has a large population of kids working. Perhaps that will help maintain your iPhone profit margins.

Did you type that on your Apple device?

You say that now, but imagine if manufacturing was moved to the lazy-worker American region and prices went way up. Then you'd complain about that?

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
I see two reasons for that
(1) is to balance Huawei ban
(2) is to effectively protect against information leaking to USA

(1) is a bit desperate, but not completely unfair
(2) is probably reasonable for two reasons: (a) China gvt knows how easy it is to put spyware in a mobile device as they do it, and (b) USA corporations even made it a business model to syphon user's data (in particular Google and Facebook but fearing the same from Apple when seen from China is not baseless)

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
we just need the US!
I can understand the sentiment, but are you willing to pay $2000 for you Made in USA iPhone? If so, how many other people do you think are in the same boat? Enough to meet Apple's sales targets?

they are probably worried about a US backdoor
I'm not sure why this comment has the reactions it does. It's a valid fear. Are people upset at the notion that their Apple devices might not be as privacy respecting as Apple claims? Is so, folks, please don't. We lost that fight a long time ago.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Well, the Chinese economy isn't in the best of shape these days anyway. There's a lot of underlying issues in China that the CCP is trying to keep under wraps, but cracks are starting to show.

China and the West are kinda like a married couple that is still living together, going to things together, and eating together. But one or the other is just waiting for the right opportunity to file the divorce papers. It's coming, but no one is quite ready to put an end to it just yet.

The mistress is Russia. China has been warming up to that side piece for a while. Keeping Vald on the line long enough to suck as much cheap energy out of Eurasia's gas station as possible.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Should we not be worried ourselves, that the Chinese manipulate the build plans of the iPhone hardware, in order to install eavesdropping capabilities without Apple’s knowledge?

I had a weird dream earlier this year that the US government announced that they had discovered China had added microscopic cameras on every product made and exported for decades. We were told to toss everything and prepare for a possible invasion.

I stopped drinking whiskey before bed after that one

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
I don't think they realize this won't have the intended effect on US politicians.

The right sees Apple as a "woke" company.

The left sees Apple as an evil mega-corp.

All this is going to accomplish is accelerate Apple's withdrawal from Chinese manufacturing.
Actually, it really has nothing to do with USA / China relations. It has more to do with China retaliating against Apple for moving manufacturing out of China.

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think they realize this won't have the intended effect on US politicians.

The right sees Apple as a "woke" company.

The left sees Apple as an evil mega-corp.

All this is going to accomplish is accelerate Apple's withdrawal from Chinese manufacturing.
Interesting. My take is the same on this, however from my angle the left is a cult for apple and the right sees it as the crowning jewel of corporate and personal hypocrisy. not at all trying to dispute or debate, just commenting on the truths we cling to depend greatly on a certain point of view.

• Love
Reactions: wilhoitm

Smartuser

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
This is the famous "CCP handshake" that is supposed to signal to Apple that China values their business.

• Wow
Reactions: jchap

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
If Apple threatened to move all manufacturing out of the country, China would instantly reverse course and start handing out free iPhones to every government employee.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
All those Chinese workers will do is just buy a cheap Android to use it at work and continue using their iPhone for personal, meaningful experiences. Cheap Androids are a dime a dozen and we live in a world where people can easily have 3 phones. They can just tell the government to pay for their wireless plan on their iPhone. No one in their right mind is gonna give up a perfectly good iPhone. This is just China playing a game.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
China doesn't need root access when they have control of Apple's data centers and easy access to user data

Over two decades, Apple built the world’s most valuable company on top of China. It now assembles nearly all of its products in the country and generates a fifth of its sales there. In turn, the Chinese government has pressured Apple executives to make compromises that flout the values they espouse.

An investigation by The New York Times revealed how Apple has risked its Chinese customers’ data and aided the Chinese government’s censorship. Here are five takeaways:

• Apple stores customer data on Chinese government servers.
  • Apple now shares customer data with the Chinese government.
  • Apple proactively removes apps to placate Chinese officials.
  • Apple banned apps from a Communist Party critic.
  • Tens of thousands of iPhone apps have disappeared in China.

iPhone may be secure. But customer data is not.
This is despicable by Apple. 😕

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.