Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
With the 5s came the introduction of Touch ID, but it was very limited in terms of what it could do. iOS 8 introduced the SDK, and it became really useful. Do you think Apple will do the same with NFC, I certainly hope they do!

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Apple Pay is a source of income for apple... They will not allow Google wallet, PayPal, or any other payment mechanism to have access to the NFC capabilities of the iPhone. However it's abilities will be expanded via passbook to allow for loyalty programs, passes, and coupons. How much of that is coming this year I don't know.

But if you think Apple is going to allow you to use anything other than Apple Pay then keep dreaming... They're about as likely to do that as they are to allow an alternate App Store.

But hey... It's okay to dream. I do it to

Reactions: The Doctor11

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Seeing as they're letting the Apple Watch be used for hotel rooms, I can see either a "limited" NFC API being created, or Passbook being opened wide.

Hotel Rooms that support NFC could have their guests use their phones (Like at Disneyworld), and I can see Apple enabled "NFC to Pair" as well.

As far as NFC for other payment solutions, no. That probably won't be happening.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
If I could pay someone else with ApplePay as we stand there it would be great. At the start of each season money collection for sports would be much easier than the check writing and deposit process.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Apple may have goofed, in order to make ApplePay so simple and fast, where any NFC signal blinding activates ApplePay process... including passport readers, etc.

It may, but may not be so simple as to open up the API for other uses. Or for other uses to trigger off NFC.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
What i really hope is that the NFC is getting more open. Because now is very limited and close to make use of that feature.

For example the Samsung Galaxy S3,4,5 have a open api for reading and writing NFC.

Do you guys think that Apple make open that NFC?

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I think that they will open up NFC. I think it explains the NFC chip in the iPad Air 2 and Mini 3.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I think that they will open up NFC. I think it explains the NFC chip in the iPad Air 2 and Mini 3.
Those have no antenna, pretty sure ifixit already pointed this out.
Those chips are merely to use the secure element for in-app applepay.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Basically the nfc chip can write and read?

The NFC chip is both a radio that transmits data and where the "secure enclave" is located.

The iPads DO have the NFC chip from the iPhone 6, but no antennas to transmit radio waves. It's only used for the secure element inside, as Apple Pay requires it.

Reactions: Hot12345

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Those have no antenna, pretty sure ifixit already pointed this out.
Those chips are merely to use the secure element for in-app applepay.

My bad. I guess you learn new things every day. Well anyway, I hope that they will open up NFC

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
My bad. I guess you learn new things every day. Well anyway, I hope that they will open up NFC
I'm fairly confident they will. Seeing as the Apple Watch has further NFC capabilities (being used to unlock your hotel room, for example), I can see it expanding.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
Seeing as they're letting the Apple Watch be used for hotel rooms, I can see either a "limited" NFC API being created, or Passbook being opened wide.

Hotel Rooms that support NFC could have their guests use their phones (Like at Disneyworld), and I can see Apple enabled "NFC to Pair" as well.

As far as NFC for other payment solutions, no. That probably won't be happening.

The hotel room Apple Watch room key for Starwood uses Bluetooth. It doesn't use NFC. You can unlock your door at a Starwood hotel with an iPhone as old as the 4s.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA

Agreed. Banks outside the US have been really reluctant to give up full control like they have with their Android based NFC apps. If Apple allowed other NFC payment solutions then those banks would have no reason to make deals with Apple.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
The NFC chip is both a radio that transmits data and where the "secure enclave" is located.

The iPads DO have the NFC chip from the iPhone 6, but no antennas to transmit radio waves. It's only used for the secure element inside, as Apple Pay requires it.

Okay, so the iPhone have the NFC chip and also the antennas, but can you say actually that the chip can WRITE and read(of-course)?

if the iPhones (6 and the 6+) have antennas it can actually write it right?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Wait you can unlock hotel room doors with NFC right? So I see no reason why they wouldn't open it up further if they are already letting a few companies use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.