Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
The hotel room Apple Watch room key for Starwood uses Bluetooth. It doesn't use NFC. You can unlock your door at a Starwood hotel with an iPhone as old as the 4s.

My mistake. Thanks for letting me know. I was basing this off of the videos they've shown of the Apple Watch, where the person is using it just like they would Apple Pay, which is why I made the statement.

Okay, so the iPhone have the NFC chip and also the antennas, but can you say actually that the chip can WRITE and read(of-course)?

if the iPhones (6 and the 6+) have antennas it can actually write it right?

Well, yes, the NFC controller can read/write. Every NFC controller can.

I don't know what you mean though. It's not a hard drive. It's a controller module. It can reference information back to the system, but its not like it has its own explorable file system or anything. Can you clarify your question?

Wait you can unlock hotel room doors with NFC right? So I see no reason why they wouldn't open it up further if they are already letting a few companies use it.

How can it be a security issue well Apple checks and approves every app that hits the App Store? I think they'll make it work.

It still opens up the risk to security flaws. Rogue code could be accidentally activated with NFC easily. You can just conjure up a website with malicious information on it, and attach it to a tag anywhere, for example.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I think Apple needs to update Bluetooth to 4.1 in the 4.0 BT devices for 9.0 and then they can work on NFC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.