Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
There's not much guidance about AI. Makes you wonder what you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wags

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
They do seem to allow it though. Otherwise, free RAM on my 1TB M1 iPP wouldn't be sitting at 1-3GB when Safari's the only memory hog I use.

It seems like Apple used to implement a per tab memory limit in Safari but I think they might have lifted or increased those limits, too.
iPadOS also implements memory caching AFAIK so if an app was previously in memory, it would still be in memory even once closed. The memory wouldn’t be freed up until more apps need that memory.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Apple has ZERO reason to do anything different when customers plunk down a truckload of cash after a few minutes of complaining online about Apple's behavior.

In the end, Apple doesn't care whether you like what they're doing or not, as long as after all is said and done... you've given your money to them. 😁

You kinda sound bitter. 😼

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
They do seem to allow it though. Otherwise, free RAM on my 1TB M1 iPP wouldn't be sitting at 1-3GB when Safari's the only memory hog I use.

It seems like Apple used to implement a per tab memory limit in Safari but I think they might have lifted or increased those limits, too.
Unfortunately we are totally in the dark on how Apple manages memory, other than the fact that it's well know that Apple uses memory compression et some form of memory swap for M series (but no information on how much or based on what, system based, app based etc.). I have done many tests with my 2GB, 3GB, 4GB, 6GB and 8GB iPads and it's not easy to infer precise criteria. On thing I have noticed with 4GB devices is that the limit is generally not per tab but it's a sort of threashold past which all tabs reload, but even that is not consistent, there are exceptions.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPadOS also implements memory caching AFAIK so if an app was previously in memory, it would still be in memory even once closed. The memory wouldn’t be freed up until more apps need that memory.

Sure. However, I mainly use just Safari, Mail, Messages, Notes and a couple of ebook/comic reading apps. Chances are it’s Safari using most of the RAM.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Unfortunately we are totally in the dark on how Apple manages memory, other than the fact that it's well know that Apple uses memory compression et some form of memory swap for M series (but no information on how much or based on what, system based, app based etc.). I have done many tests with my 2GB, 3GB, 4GB, 6GB and 8GB iPads and it's not easy to infer precise criteria. On thing I have noticed with 4GB devices is that the limit is generally not per tab but it's a sort of threashold past which all tabs reload, but even that is not consistent, there are exceptions.

At 4GB RAM or less, I think it’s just hitting the ceiling quickly.

Note, what I meant by per tab limit is iOS Safari caps the amount of memory used by a tab.

Previously, there was one webpage that would go on a constant reload cycle on me whenever I try to scroll down even on 16GB RAM (lotsa dynamic elements so likely seriously bloated JavaScript). When I tried opening the same webpage on MacOS Safari, it was using like 2GB RAM. Mind, the same webpage works on iPadOS 17 now. Not sure if the site designer made it more efficient or if iOS increased/lifted the memory limit for Safari.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
At 4GB RAM or less, I think it’s just hitting the ceiling quickly.

Note, what I meant by per tab limit is iOS Safari caps the amount of memory used by a tab.

Previously, there was one webpage that would go on a constant reload cycle on me whenever I try to scroll down even on 16GB RAM (lotsa dynamic elements so likely seriously bloated JavaScript). When I tried opening the same webpage on MacOS Safari, it was using like 2GB RAM. Mind, the same webpage works on iPadOS 17 now. Not sure if the site designer made it more efficient or if iOS increased/lifted the memory limit for Safari.
Yeah 4GB or less is clearly annoying if you use a browser with several tabs on iPadOS.
6GB makes a big difference and that's expected since that's not only 50% more, but once you remove the part allocated to the OS it's at least 2/3 more RAM for apps.
Sure 8 does even better, but again I don't see a huge difference between 6 and 8 and some here say 8 and 16 are similar in terms of reloads... So not much of an improvement to have 16 in the end. Probably it helps for memory intensive apps though.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have talked to computer hardware engineers about what Apple is doing and they all told me Apple is on a razor blade between performance and battery life. I got 1TB on my 13" iPad pro, I got it for the 16GB of RAM, I have a 1TB iPhone 14 Pro Max. From it I have learned that with an Mac Studio with has a total of 20 TB of available storage, plus 2TB of iCloud storage, I have only used 1/2 of what the iPhone has, and that is mostly personal music files. One of the nice things about the USB4 port of this iPad Pro is I have several 4 to 8TB external SSD that I can plug into this iPad, You need to use powered hub but I have powerful Anker batteries to power them.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
If you are going to be resistant to someone helping you by acting hostile then you won’t get help.
Helping me? You are not helping me or anyone by making assuptions (and giving numbers) on things you have absolutely no hard data on (e.g. "iPadOS takes about 750MB"). And by the way, what is "hostile" in what I said? If what I said was hostile, anyone here saying that someone has not enough data to back their statements would be hostile.
Being able to take feedback allows a costructive dialogue that helps everyone, getting defensive as soon as someone questions what you say goes in the opposite direction.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
My sister has a old MacBook Pro, and intel i7 unit I think. It has 8 gigs of RAM. She was having self inflicted trouble with it and told her to call apple support. I was not going to touch that situation. I speculated that she might need more RAM. With the laptop it would have been easy for me at least to go the the max 16GB. The Support person went remote with her Mac and looked at her logs. He told her she had plenty of RAM, and there was no need to increase it. The Mac would notify her if she didn't have enough at any rate.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Was looking at complains about iPadOS taking up to much space. Most of the complaints I am seeing is people doing the old hopscotch line "............sitting on a fence, trying to make a Dollar out of 15 cents. People are just going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade. I realized this in my almost 4 years ago iPad Air 1st gen. Apple stopped updating, it didn't have the security features, and no Apple Pay. it is now in its box, alongside the retired iPod Touches.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I find it ironic that people complain the iPad hardware is too powerful for the software, yet get angry it doesn't have "more power," like more than 8GB of RAM.

Reactions: 3Rock

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Does the RAM really matter? I would say for 95% of users the answer is no. Even for video editing it will handle just fine for most peoples needs with 8GB.

Since iPadOS is quite limited in multitasking and what it can do, even the 8GB might be overkill.

95% of users of even the iPad Pro are going to use it for watching YouTube, reading ebooks, browsing websites, and scrolling Facebook. All things that would be just fine with even a 5+ year old or even 10+ year old iPad.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Does the RAM really matter? I would say for 95% of users the answer is no. Even for video editing it will handle just fine for most peoples needs with 8GB.

Since iPadOS is quite limited in multitasking and what it can do, even the 8GB might be overkill.

95% of users of even the iPad Pro are going to use it for watching YouTube, reading ebooks, browsing websites, and scrolling Facebook. All things that would be just fine with even a 5+ year old or even 10+ year old iPad.
I see what you're saying, but you're exaggerating. The iPad Air 2 is the top of the line iPad from 9.5 years ago, and it's basically unusable for many common things in 2024. Surfing on it is absolutely horrible. It's OK for Netflix though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.