Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I know it’s iPadOS, but considering the price of the hardware. Also, does this mean 8GB will live on in M4 Macs?

Kill me.
May not be for you but for restaurants , schools, businesses……think about it!

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
There is no way apple will allow any developer to utilize more than 8gb of ram, most likely less because os needs some. This is because the vast majority of their users have <8gb ram. The only hope is the 16gb ram option gets you more opportunity to multitask. Wouldnt bet on it though. Ipados just doesnt leap that far every year. Buy the storage you need. Dont worry bout the rest.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There is no way apple will allow any developer to utilize more than 8gb of ram, most likely less because os needs some. This is because the vast majority of their users have <8gb ram. The only hope is the 16gb ram option gets you more opportunity to multitask. Wouldnt bet on it though. Ipados just doesnt leap that far every year. Buy the storage you need. Dont worry bout the rest.

Apple does allow developers to use more than 8GB if available.

The limit is 12GB on 16GB RAM devices on iPadOS 15. I believe that went up to 16GB after they started supporting swap on iPadOS 16.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Apple does allow developers to use more than 8GB if available.

The limit is 12GB on 16GB RAM devices on iPadOS 15. I believe that went up to 16GB after they started supporting swap on iPadOS 16.

you're totally right. i think what i should've said is most developers would not be incentivized to do so.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
I know it’s iPadOS, but considering the price of the hardware. Also, does this mean 8GB will live on in M4 Macs?

Kill me.
So return it.

I’m not buying this from Apple. I’ve had enough of their continuous contempt for their customers. I’ll buy last generation on eBay or Amazon or I’ll get non-Apple devices.

The last few laptops I bought for my kids are all Windows. Great computers, with touchscreen, for under $500 (refurbished).

Reactions: gusping

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Does the RAM really matter? I would say for 95% of users the answer is no. Even for video editing it will handle just fine for most peoples needs with 8GB.

Since iPadOS is quite limited in multitasking and what it can do, even the 8GB might be overkill.

95% of users of even the iPad Pro are going to use it for watching YouTube, reading ebooks, browsing websites, and scrolling Facebook. All things that would be just fine with even a 5+ year old or even 10+ year old iPad.
Most people don't understand how RAM works, that doesn't mean that more RAM would not benefit them.
My sister did not understand that constant reloads in her iPad 6 were due to it being RAM starved.
She thought it was how the iPad worked. When I told her she was like: so it can be avoided? And she bought an M1 the same day and gave the 6 to her daughter...

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
What worries me, is that i've been waiting for this ipad pro (the previous had 8 RAM but the 11 model has a normal led screen so i skipped it) and now this again has the same amount of memory...mmmm should i wait for the next lol?

Also the air 2024 has 8 F GB of memory.

I really doubt that hardware is future proof (lets say 7 years like my old 10.5).

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What worries me, is that i've been waiting for this ipad pro (the previous had 8 RAM but the 11 model has a normal led screen so i skipped it) and now this again has the same amount of memory...mmmm should i wait for the next lol?

Also the air 2024 has 8 F GB of memory.

I really doubt that hardware is future proof (lets say 7 years like my old 10.5).
If you wait, you may be waiting 2 years, and there is still no guarantee it will get more than 8 GB RAM base.

If you really, really want more than 8 GB RAM, because you know you need it, then get the 1 TB model now. Personally I don't care, because the 4 GB RAM in my old 10.5" was largely sufficient for my needs. I had planned to dabble a bit more in LumaFusion, but even then 8 GB would probably be fine since it's just for kids' videos etc. If you could separate out RAM upgrades from storage upgrades, then it would be easier to justify the RAM upgrade, but since I don't want or need 1 TB, I'll just stick with 8 GB. And as mentioned, 8 GB will probably be fine for me anyway for many years.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Don't the M chip iPads have virtual memory swapping as well?

Quick search looks like at least these apps may utilize more RAM:

Procreate
Astropad studio
Microsoft Excel
Affinity Photo 2
Paper by WeTransfer
Pixelmator
Codea
iMovie
Complete Anatomy 2023
LumaFusion
Adobe Photoshop for iPad
Adobe Illustrator
Ferrite Recording Studio
Maybe the Apple productivity suite of apps?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Canada edu pricing of the 11" iPad Pro:

CA$1249 (US$913) - 8 GB / 256 GB
CA$2079 (US$1520) - 16 GB / 1 TB

Heh, that makes the decision to get the 8 GB / 256 GB model really easy for me, given that the higher end model costs literally 2/3rds more, and I'm not an artist or do content creation as my job.

Furthermore, that likely CA$150 (US$110) gift card next month represents a 12% discount off the 8 GB model, but only a 7% discount off the 16 GB model.

Although I don't need 16 GB, I might have considered it if I could have gotten it for say CA$200 (US$146) more, but that's not an option.

Anyhow, since I don't keep most of my storage local (as I have a 2 TB iCloud account), I will have more than enough space left over on my 256 GB drive for swap if necessary.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
If you wait, you may be waiting 2 years, and there is still no guarantee it will get more than 8 GB RAM base.

If you really, really want more than 8 GB RAM, because you know you need it, then get the 1 TB model now. Personally I don't care, because the 4 GB RAM in my old 10.5" was largely sufficient for my needs. I had planned to dabble a bit more in LumaFusion, but even then 8 GB would probably be fine since it's just for kids' videos etc. If you could separate out RAM upgrades from storage upgrades, then it would be easier to justify the RAM upgrade, but since I don't want or need 1 TB, I'll just stick with 8 GB. And as mentioned, 8 GB will probably be fine for me anyway for many years.

Thanks for your comment. :)

Yeah if you ask me how much store do i need? i will tell you 128GB nothing more nothing less. It would be useless to pay for a 1tb one (also i dont have that $$).
I watch streaming services, movies, read an ebook and news thats all.

Let's hope 8 GB will be fine for many years as you say.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I don't even need M4. Every app on these is designed for iPads and not MacOS, obviously. If you want to make it look like MacOS go ahead, but it's overkill.

The only worry is future proofing for something like AI or even a Windows emulator. Neither of these are a certainty as far as needing these increased specs. Windows is very uncertain, and it's unclear how much ram we are going to need for the very simple onboard AI.

Normally, I have an internal debate about this, but not in this case. Not even a second thought.

Last edited:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Apple Canada edu pricing of the 11" iPad Pro:

CA$1249 (US$913) - 8 GB / 256 GB
CA$2079 (US$1520) - 16 GB / 1 TB

Heh, that makes the decision to get the 8 GB / 256 GB model really easy for me, given that the higher end model costs literally 2/3rds more, and I'm not an artist or do content creation as my job.

Furthermore, that likely CA$150 (US$110) gift card next month represents a 12% discount off the 8 GB model, but only a 7% discount off the 16 GB model.

Although I don't need 16 GB, I might have considered it if I could have gotten it for say CA$200 (US$146) more, but that's not an option.

Anyhow, since I don't keep most of my storage local (as I have a 2 TB iCloud account), I will have more than enough space left over on my 256 GB drive for swap if necessary.
I'm on the same wavelength as you, although I would think Apple would offer a $200 gift card fir iPad Pros. Are you getting the new Magic Keyboard?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm on the same wavelength as you, although I would think Apple would offer a $200 gift card fir iPad Pros. Are you getting the new Magic Keyboard?
Last year the Canadian promotion offered a CA$150 gift card. (Actually the Canadian promotion said "€100", but clearly that was a typo.) The iPad Pro is more expensive this year, but I'm not optimistic for the promotion to go up to $200.

I will probably get the Magic Keyboard too, although I'm not 100% sure yet.

• Love
Reactions: smulji

off3nc3

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2014
Romania
It’s my test bench for models, light training, coding, code reviews…

Pretty sure nothing maxes out 16 gigs of ram on these devices besides heavy duty 3D art and even procreate never requires more then 8 gb to fly.

You are just arguing for the sake of arguing and nobody that actually works high end duty will buy an iPad pro especially at these price ranges when they can buy a fully fledged desktop or laptop to handle higher work loads.

These iPads are not meant to replace laptops and desktops so you're whole point is moot. Woosh

Reactions: 3Rock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.