Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I have a sneaking suspicion is it really only the carriers that want RCS to succeed - since it is meant to replace SMS, which has largely been superseded by standard internet data protocols, it’s a revenue stream they’d like to restore….

Unfortunately it is the opposite. You’re right they want that SMS gouging money back. But they aren’t going to get it because no one is going to pay the network cartels to send text messages anymore. So they have no financial motivation to ever replace SMS with anything. They ran a year long “trial” of RCS and when they couldn’t figure out how to monetize it they gave up. Now everyone seems to think RCS is a Google standard because they are the only ones that picked up the ball and ran with it.

Now nobody cares about RCS except Google because Google is the only one that never succeeded with its own messaging attempts.

Reactions: kc9hzn

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
Google also didn’t create Android or YouTube, still those have not exactly become the most privacy oriented programs on the planet

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
I honestly couldn't care less. I don't remember the last time I used SMS. As for iMessage, I never ever used it. Totally fail to see the point.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I love iMessage and its features. But today's lack of compatibility with non-Apple devices is not ideal. I'm glad they are looking into it. And I'm also glad they are not forcing change without proper research. Hurray! (so far)
One week to obtain the data?

That is not proper research.

“Surveys sent” is a mere line item to be checked off on some EU lawyer’s list

The EU neither cares, nor wants, input from the users.

-

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Apple has X users (as a whole) and therefore considered a „Gatekeeper“ and thus their services such as iMessage and AppStore etc have to comply, otherwise the term doesn’t make any sense? They’d have to call it „Apple AppStore Gatekeeper“ since apparently not everything within „Apple“ is „gatekept“.

I suspect part of that is using a broad definition might hoover up some European companies into gatekeeper roles.

I have a sneaking suspicion is it really only the carriers that want RCS to succeed - since it is meant to replace SMS, which has largely been superseded by standard internet data protocols, it’s a revenue stream they’d like to restore….

I suspect the same thing that they'd like to regain control over messaging or financial reasons such as tracking and charging for texts. "You can get rid of your green bubble for 10 Euros/month extra..."

Just force Apple to implement RCS (which is crap) and let people choose if they want to use it or not.

Which one? The standard or Google's extension using the Signal protocol? Are you OK with Google being an intermediary? Or carriers now controlling the messaging traffic?

It won’t benefit apple that you don’t need to spend 800$ on an iPhone to get rid of the green bubble. I think one of the reason teens want an iPhone is to not be a green bubble and if you give that to android… No reason to buy an expensive iPhone to a teen anymore.

I suspect you underestimate the reasons people buy iPhones and overestimate the importance of bubble colors.

In addition, an open protocol would not necessarily eliminate different color bulb - Apple could tag and color any message sent via the iMessage App blue and all other green to warn users that a message comes from a non Apple E2E encrypted source.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
EU is simply mad the EU tech sector sucks and they want an EU iMessage or EU Whatsapp to be a "monopolist".

Why is the EU not targetting ASML? It's because it's an EU company.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula and klasma

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Apple could be forced to allow third-party companies and rival apps like Meta's WhatsApp to integrate directly with iMessage.
Bring it on. I say this as a constant iMessage user here in the US. I would love to be able to keep using Messages when I travel overseas, for example, where it seems like the standard is WhatsApp. And here in the US, I would love to be able to have RCS or whatever plug into iMessage as well, so I don't have to send/receive horrible low-resolution pictures and videos over SMS. I honestly don't care about any of the behind the scenes politics here -- I just want one app that does all my messaging well, no matter what platform the other person is using.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechieGeek

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
It would not make sense for all the services to count for the “gatekeeper” status. For example, Apple Music is clearly not a gatekeeper in the EU, and neither is iMessage (nobody cares about iMessage here).
Notice how Bing, of all things, is getting lumped into this. Meanwhile, the US is digging into Google’s abuse of its search monopoly. Things like this just further convince me that the EU‘s tech policy is Euro-protectionism (then again, so much of the single market is protectionism for this or that special interest, which has been a real thorn in the side when it comes to US-EU trade negotiations, especially for agricultural trade).

• Love
Reactions: gusmula

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
This is about finding out whether iMessage qualifies as a "gatekeeper service" in the EU definition. Several other messenger services already do, so this cannot really be about monopolies. It is more of a "with-great-power-comes-great-responsibility" thing, hence the EU wants to know whether iMessage is strong enough in the EU to warrant stricter rules.
OR, if the EU has to lower the number to allow iMessages to become a gatekeeper.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Nobody uses iMessage in EU. People don't even know that such service exists. WhatsApp has about 100% market share.
People uses it. I use it, perhaps more would use it if it was more convenient
(ironically Apple might want to be more interoperable) and now Apple if they want have the legal option to provide interoperability without using Google RCS as the legal requirement is the security standard is maintained.

If iMessage isn’t made a gatekeeper service il still be happy to delete all by other accounts and messaging apps such as Viber, WhatsApp, telegram, signal, Facebook Messenger and just use one to rule them all that I actually trust in.
By forcing every IM service to be compatible with each other and by making it (apparently) illegal to have any proprietary features (i.e. innovate) outside the core feature set defined by old men (who can barely use e-mail themselves) in the EU commission, EU will kill innovation, not accelerate it.
It’s not illegal to have proprietary features. It only states basic interoperability

Where a gatekeeper provides NI-ICS(Number-Independent Interpersonal Communications Services) it shall
  1. make the basic functionalities of its NI-ICS with the NI-ICS of another provider offering or intending to offer such services in the Union.
  2. providing the necessary technical interfaces or similar solutions that facilitate interoperability
  3. Upon request
  4. Free of charge
Where a gatekeeper provides number-independent interpersonal communications services that are listed in the designation decision pursuant to Article 3(9), it shall make the basic functionalities of its number-independent interpersonal communications services interoperable with the number-independent interpersonal communications services of another provider offering or intending to offer such services in the Union, by providing the necessary technical interfaces or similar solutions that facilitate interoperability, upon request, and free of charge.
2. The gatekeeper shall make at least the following basic functionalities referred to in paragraph 1 interoperable where the gatekeeper itself provides those functionalities to its own end users:
(a)following the listing in the designation decision pursuant to Article 3(9):
(i)end-to-end text messaging between two individual end users;
(ii)sharing of images, voice messages, videos and other attached files in end to end communication between two individual end users;
(b)within 2 years from the designation:
(i)end-to-end text messaging within groups of individual end users;
(ii)sharing of images, voice messages, videos and other attached files in end-to-end communication between a group chat and an individual end user;
(c)within 4 years from the designation:
(i)end-to-end voice calls between two individual end users;
(ii)end-to-end video calls between two individual end users;
(iii)end-to-end voice calls between a group chat and an individual end user;
(iv)end-to-end video calls between a group chat and an individual end user.
3. The level of security, including the end-to-end encryption, where applicable, that the gatekeeper provides to its own end users shall be preserved across the interoperable services.
4. The gatekeeper shall publish a reference offer laying down the technical details and general terms and conditions of interoperability with its number-independent interpersonal communications services, including the necessary details on the level of security and end-to-end encryption. The gatekeeper shall publish that reference offer within the period laid down in Article 3(10) and update it where necessary.
5. Following the publication of the reference offer pursuant to paragraph 4, any provider of number-independent interpersonal communications services offering or intending to offer such services in the Union may request interoperability with the number-independent interpersonal communications services provided by the gatekeeper. Such a request may cover some or all of the basic functionalities listed in paragraph 2. The gatekeeper shall comply with any reasonable request for interoperability within 3 months after receiving that request by rendering the requested basic functionalities operational.
6. The Commission may, exceptionally, upon a reasoned request by the gatekeeper, extend the time limits for compliance under paragraph 2 or 5 where the gatekeeper demonstrates that this is necessary to ensure effective interoperability and to maintain the necessary level of security, including end-to-end encryption, where applicable.
7. The end users of the number-independent interpersonal communications services of the gatekeeper and of the requesting provider of number-independent interpersonal communications services shall remain free to decide whether to make use of the interoperable basic functionalities that may be provided by the gatekeeper pursuant to paragraph 1.

What's the point of running an IM service if all you can have is a dumb client having the same set of features as everyone else? Look at e-mail. It's the same as it was in the 90s.

Just force Apple to implement RCS (which is crap) and let people choose if they want to use it or not.
RCS isn’t qualified as it isn’t number-independent NI-ICS.
And read the text above
Oh well, if they force all services to interoperate, it means that I can delete all but Apple’s Messages app. No need to have WhatsApp or Signal apps on my iPhone anymore. I bet this is notexactlywhat EU commission wants.
This is exactly what the EU commission wants. The services compete on merit annd functions instead of user base. If you think iMessage is the best solution you should be able to use that. Instead of getting locked in a random app because that’s where your friends, family or coworkers happen to use.
Signal? WhatsApp? + dozens of other alternatives?

no one is forcing you to use iMessage or whatever came with your phone
in fact, most don't
if someone is using iMessage, it is just out of stubbornness, not because i have no choice (i have first hand experience on this matter)

also, SMS for cross-plattform communication is fine with me...
of course you shouldn't discuss too much politics in an oppressive regime, or post your bank account info, but otherwise it is still pretty ok in my book
SMS just as RCS isn’t qualified as it’s not number independent.
I am against gatekeeping, but I do not really see how to combine differente messengers, if they use different protocols. And Signal for example requires a phone number, while Threema does not. And how can you prevent that your phone number gets into the hands of a messenger that you do not even use? For example Signal users use Signal because they do not trust WhatsApp. If messengers are forced to work together, how can a Signal user prevent his personal data from getting into the hands of WhatsApp?
1: number-independent interpersonal communications services
2:Read above legal requirements.
Also EU politicians: : iMeSsAgE hAs A mOnOpOlY hErE

Fixed it for you.

I'm glad the EU can be proactive in investigating monopolies and pushing progress for better safety and environmental regulations but there are times when they are looking to regulate certain parts of certain businesses which is totally uncalled for. The only people that want to regulate iMessage are Android users and Google executives and shareholders.
Apple called an extra investigation because they say they don’t qualify. Hence why EU is complying and investigating their request. Only people who thinks a monopoly is illegal calls it that as a gotcha.
Which is it? "No one uses it" or "it's a monopoly"?
Nether. A Monopoly is completely legal to operate.
Before “targeting” iMessage maybe look into WhatsApp first.

Edit: I’d like to join WhatsApp groups but don’t want to take part in FB’s data mining.
WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger is already targeted and must allow interoperability if for example signal asks them to.

And that’s the point.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
Also, with the possible proposal for a Google related messenger interconnection, they are actually not thwarting some monopolies, they are actually further strengthening one of the largest monopolies on the interweb, as almost everything is already running on something that is involved with Google and their interests. If this trend continues, there might soon be nothing but Google left, with some niches covered by Amazon

Reactions: kc9hzn

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
There is no lock-in. I'm not "locked in" to use iMessage in my social circle at all - 90% of my communications are on Telegram, Signal or WhatsApp.
Exactly I use whatsapp to communicate with people from my iPhone, even when they have an iPhone themselves.

if people are ”locked in” with iMessage then something seriously wrong with the individual that thinks they are locked in.

what is stopping them from using other well known messaging system. A person they wish to message with will only use iMessage is the only reason can think of and that is more the individual WON’T rather then CAN NOT use something else.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Ultimately, I generally don’t trust the EU regulatory system any more than I trust the US’s. The very idea of regulation is logically dubious if you give it any real thought.

Regulation incentivizes regulatory capture. You can’t have one without the other. Giving businesses an existential threat gives them a huge incentive to be at the table driving those regulations. And when they realize they can use those regulations to punish competitors, all bets are off.

Politically, I favor decentralization, and the EU’s pro-centralization bent gives me strong pause for concern. Ultimately, the state is a monopoly on force. Non-compliance eventually leads to the state using violence against you, regardless of how moral the state’s case is. In a market, you have competition which applies pressure not to violate agreements and not to commit wanton acts of violence. With governments, there’s a territorial monopoly, and you have to upend your life to get away from an abusive regime. Furthermore, the worse abuses in the market typically are carried out under state sanction or state mandate, or because compliance with state directives requires the behavior or the state’s regulatory apparatus strongly incentivizes the behavior (the housing bubble and subprime mortgage crisis in the US in 2008). I do have to marvel how people bend over backwards to support the state and condemn corporations, despite the fact that the state is the one that controls the weapons of war and the fact that the state itself has a corporate form.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
How does iMessage "prevent effective competition"? It's definitely not the reason I use an iPhone. On the flip side, if the iPhone actually prevented me from using WhatsApp / Telegram / Signal / etc. - that would actually be an impetus for me to move away from the iPhone.

If anything the messaging apps (WhatsApp in particular) are the ones that are actually "prevent(ing) effective competition" because of the huge incumbent user base they own.
Basically, don't build anything that "you" aka your business/company/IP control to the extent that it prevents anyone else from being able to access it just like you're able to.
And while you're at it. Make sure no one else can hack you.
Cheers. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.