Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingdom23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
I'm getting false updates in the App Store. Just started happening about half hour ago. Apps are showing as updates even though I have that version installed.

It's happening on both iPad and iPhone leading me to believe it's a problem on Apple's end.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm in the UK.

Happening on my iPhone, 13 so far.

filscotfree

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
UK
Just to add another voice. It's been happening on my iPhone and iPad as well, and other people I've spoken too.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Apple has had 12 hours to explain why this is happening to a confused public.

Didn't you see Tim Cook on the nightly news? He had a joint news conference with Obama and the Pope in order to reassure the confused public that it was just a bug. Good timing too, the rioting in the streets was starting to get out of control...

Reactions: Max(IT)

DanEp

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
Didn't you see Tim Cook on the nightly news? He had a joint news conference with Obama and the Pope in order to reassure the confused public that it was just a bug. Good timing too, the rioting in the streets was starting to get out of control...

very funny. However, it would e nice to know that the apps requesting update aren't a consequence of the previous version being hacked (update ASAP) or optional until things get sorted out or the new version itself is hacked. The vacuum on which course to take leaves the masses (and elites) "confused" until an explanation is forthcoming....

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
very funny. However, it would e nice to know that the apps requesting update aren't a consequence of the previous version being hacked (update ASAP) or optional until things get sorted out or the new version itself is hacked. The vacuum on which course to take leaves the masses (and elites) "confused" until an explanation is forthcoming....
Haha, you're funny. I bet over 95% of iOS users won't notice that they already did these updates.

Hallo77

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
My apps are getting larger.
What if someone hacked the app store and now we all are downloading viruses on our system? Is there any chance that something like this could happen?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What if someone hacked the app store and now we all are downloading viruses on our system? Is there any chance that something like this could happen?
No chance.

DanEp

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
No chance.

there were infected apps in the app store that many thousands of people downloaded. There is a report on the bbc website now that perhaps 4000 apps were infected (no idea if this also has been ignored by Apple) :

"Apple App Store malware 'infected 4,000 apps'"
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34338362

For all intents and purposes, the answer is yes to the question:

"What if someone hacked the app store and now we all are downloading viruses on our system? Is there any chance that something like this could happen?"

Never say never (or "no chance").

thequanticlad

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
there were infected apps in the app store that many thousands of people downloaded. There is a report on the bbc website now that perhaps 4000 apps were infected (no idea if this also has been ignored by Apple) :

"What if someone hacked the app store and now we all are downloading viruses on our system? Is there any chance that something like this could happen?"

Um... The malware you're talking about is entirely to blamed on the Chinese developers who downloaded a modded version of Xcode from unofficial mirror servers; Apple's servers and the App Store were not hacked. The apps you're citing underwent the regular vetting process that every app has to pass, they just happened to include hidden code performing malicious operations without the developers knowing.

Anyway: I've been experiencing the same false updates since yesterday as well!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Haha, you're funny. I bet over 95% of iOS users won't notice that they already did these updates.
Lol, I realized only after seeing this thread.

Totally unrelated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's a possibility of many kinds of things, but should something along those lines was to happen we would have known about it fairly quickly.

DanEp

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
Um... The malware you're talking about is entirely to blamed on the Chinese developers who downloaded a modded version of Xcode from unofficial mirror servers; Apple's servers and the App Store were not hacked. The apps you're citing underwent the regular vetting process that every app has to pass, they just happened to include hidden code performing malicious operations without the developers knowing.

Anyway: I've been experiencing the same false updates since yesterday as well!

Maybe you missed where I said (and I put it in bold just to avoid your response: For all intents and purposes.

If I download an app from the official Apple App Store and it contains malware -- it is academic as to whether the store was hacked or the store's vetting process was insufficient; I couldn't care less.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. For all intents and purposes the chain broke. The victims could care less which link snapped (that is, unless they work for Apple and want to make the chain stronger and understand which link broke).

The question asked about the store being hacked was answered yes by me -- with the caveat for all intents and purposes.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I remember MS Word and PowerPoint had 2 updates recently (probably within a week or so). And this is 3rd update for these apps... Can anyone confirm 2nd update was the same as 1st one?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
same here. I would also get duplicate updates. sometimes update during lunch when i'm at home on wifi. then the following day it would ask me to update the app again? random.

jb-net

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Austria
Same problem using iTunes. Should I re-download the updates? An official statement from Apple would be nice!

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I remember MS Word and PowerPoint had 2 updates recently (probably within a week or so). And this is 3rd update for these apps... Can anyone confirm 2nd update was the same as 1st one?
The fact that it may be the same version number isn't a good reason, to me, not to update.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Having the same problem here, now around 40 apps I'd previously downloaded wanting to be re-downloaded. The "new" "updated apps" have the same date, version, and file size as the ones I'd already downloaded earlier this week or last week.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

The doubled-up apps include the various MS Office apps. There's no chance they were infected. ;)

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
I'm getting false updates in the App Store. Just started happening about half hour ago. Apps are showing as updates even though I have that version installed.

It's happening on both iPad and iPhone leading me to believe it's a problem on Apple's end.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm in the UK.

None for me. What are the apps?

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
In a few tweets between iOS developers, one developer noted that their app, along with many others, were missing their launch screen images (the image that's displayed when the app is launched but before it's actually loaded) due to a fault in the way Apple's system generated the different app thinning variants (including the "no thinning" variant).

Apple appears to have realised that the launch images were being incorrectly removed and has rebuilt all of the affected app's variants, pushing them out again. So the version number of the apps are identical, but now the apps correctly have their launch images.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Maybe you missed where I said (and I put it in bold just to avoid your response: For all intents and purposes.

If I download an app from the official Apple App Store and it contains malware -- it is academic as to whether the store was hacked or the store's vetting process was insufficient; I couldn't care less.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. For all intents and purposes the chain broke. The victims could care less which link snapped (that is, unless they work for Apple and want to make the chain stronger and understand which link broke).

The question asked about the store being hacked was answered yes by me -- with the caveat for all intents and purposes.
Could the App Store have been hacked? Yes. There is no such thing as a completely secure computer system.

Was the App Store actually hacked? No. The term 'hacked' means that someone gained entry and can now do what they wish with the content of the system, which is contrary to what actually happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.