Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
In a few tweets between iOS developers, one developer noted that their app, along with many others, were missing their launch screen images (the image that's displayed when the app is launched but before it's actually loaded) due to a fault in the way Apple's system generated the different app thinning variants (including the "no thinning" variant).

Apple appears to have realised that the launch images were being incorrectly removed and has rebuilt all of the affected app's variants, pushing them out again. So the version number of the apps are identical, but now the apps correctly have their launch images.

That's some nice research. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: t0mat0 and marvz

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
Happened to me as well. The apps didn't really install and have the new features promised in the notes. Same versions came up today and redownloaded and now have the new features

jrajpaul

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
After updating all my apps, I no longer experience the slight lag when tapping on the app icon.

Reactions: marvz

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
That's some nice research. Thanks for sharing.

And it seems it wasn't only the launch images that were an issue with the app variants, they were also causing problems with iOS 9 backups. Here's the info directly from Apple. Apple's disabled app slicing for now and will reenable it in a future update:

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=092415a&1443125762

And a support document about how this has been impacting iOS 9 backups:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205268

"We reprocessed the impacted apps and made updated versions of them that are available for customers."

beany boy

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm actually still having some problems with this on a more limited basis. I called Apple Care and well if ignorance is bliss these people are probably the happiest people in the world. I'm tired of this happening on my iPhone 6+ and on my 2 iPads.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Noticed what seems to be the same issue happening over the last couple of days on the U.K. iOS App Store.

Only noticed because the release notes for an ‘updated’ app mentioned support for the new iPhone screen sizes, yet it didn’t fill iPhone X display. Looking closer, the app updated was dated 2 years ago.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Noticed what seems to be the same issue happening over the last couple of days on the U.K. iOS App Store.

Only noticed because the release notes for an ‘updated’ app mentioned support for the new iPhone screen sizes, yet it didn’t fill iPhone X display. Looking closer, the app updated was dated 2 years ago.

"iOS apps are getting updates because of LLVM’s Bitcode

Example: a 2 year old build gets recompiled on Apple’s server because of some new compiler optimization and becomes available in the App Store without any action from the developer"
That's what a developer said on Twitter about this issue. I'm not a developer, have no knowledge about this, so all I can do is quote.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.