Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Noticed there is no topic for FF7R. I got my preorder up since June 20th. Am I the only one who's excited for this title?

I was a Nintendo-fanboy and didn't buy the original PlayStation to save up for a Nintendo 64, but a lot of my friends had PlayStations and several were always talking about FF7. I didn't know the series and didn't play (J)RPG's. Mostly Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye, etc. But FF7 motivated me to save up money and after several months I bought a second hand PSX with FF7 and got hooked. I've played every FF after that, including the older ones. I've got every FF released on iOS and on my PS4, so the news of this remake took me back to my teens and the marvelous era of the original FF7.

In short: I can't wait :)

Last edited:

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Played through the demo that got released on the PS Store two times. Loved it a lot! The nostalgia alone... Counting down to the release, and it seems I'm the only one here that is doing that :p

Reactions: TopherMan12

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Played through the demo that got released on the PS Store two times. Loved it a lot! The nostalgia alone... Counting down to the release, and it seems I'm the only one here that is doing that :p
I downloaded it, but it also came out when the new add on for the Division 2: Warlords of New York dropped. Ubisoft did a smart thing and lowered the price of the base game to $3 and I’ve been playing that. I will eventually fire up the demo, but don’t feel obligated. I already put in my pre order when they went live. ;) I’m already sold.

• Love
Reactions: BlankStar

justlexi

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
This better had been kept in the remake, one of my favorite parts about VII, the banter between Cloud, Tifa and Barret while they run out of breath was hilarious.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Only played for like 5 minutes, been busy, but I loved the opening FMV

As for the gameplay not being turn based, I dunno.. Reminds me a bit of like The Bouncer overlaid a classic but I guess I should reserve judgment since I only got as far as hopping over the turnstiles at the metro lol

I'm still not happy about the multiple episode release schedule, maybe I'll wait for episode 1 to drop in price or until a few are out and its bundled for sale. Been waiting this long.

But so so glad a free demo is finally out. That data mining leak was upsetting to me,

I also cant help but feel like this game will get GTAV treatment: release at end of life of old gen, then magically release it early on for PS5

Shouldn't matter too much though it looks so beautiful on my PS4 Pro and not sure when I'll leap to PS5, probably not any time soon after its release. I always wait a couple years for consoles at this point for a bigger library and hardware kinks to be worked out with initial production runs

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
As for the gameplay not being turn based, I dunno..

I was very shocked by this. I thought about switching it to "classic" but it says that the difficulty gets set to "easy" when you do that. I need to give it a fair try. Just did a quick peek at the demo last night.

The intro movie was wonderful!

• Love

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've played through the demo twice; once on Normal and again on Classic. I think I like Classic more.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how pre-orders are supposed to work, given that the published release date is a public holiday in many countries and the couriers presumably won't be running... Why on earth don't they release it on the 9th so that people can play it over the long weekend?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I've ordered the limited edition physical version. Sure hope it gets delivered on time...

Only reason is that I have a rather large collection of Final Fantasy games starting with the first one on the NES in the original box.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've ordered the limited edition physical version. Sure hope it gets delivered on time...
The thing that really annoys me is that if you go onto Twitter, you can find screeds of people asking Square how this is supposed to work. And Square's response is that hallmark of customer service known as 'ignore the question'.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've asked the retailer that I preordered from and they assured me that I'll have it on release date. Apparently there's more info coming on 6 April.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I've read the game has gone gold a couple of weeks ago, so that's surely not the issue. Yet SE has made an official statement that not everyone will get the game on time :-(

From the statement at https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/message-square-enix-ceo

While our goal is to ensure that everyone can play the game on day one, it is increasingly likely that deliveries may be affected in select markets due to supply chain disruptions and potential brick-and-mortar retail closures resulting from governmental quarantine policies.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
As I posted in the other topic; I got a mail from Square Enix that they're doing everything they can to make sure I get my copy on April 10th. Guess it'll depend what country/region you live. *fingers crossed*

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Wait, you already have it?!

Arrived here in Belgium Saturday evening :)

Currently at Aerith's House. 11 hours in the game.

To illustrate, I played the Midgar-part of FF7 on my iPad a couple of weeks ago and took me 5 hours to get out of the city, so it's obvious this game goes into more detail ;-)

More detail on the story of characters that didn't hold that much importance in the original game, and several things aren't the same than the original story and altered. First I couldn't accept that they changed things, but I can see they did it for people who haven't played the original. They needed to add more backstory and already give some info now that players in the original game had to wait for a lot longer. If they did that now, some players wouldn't understand some things and criticise the story.

In short: absolutely loving it. Midgar plays a lot like FF12. You're "free" to roam, but it's guided and you run into blocked parts that open up later.

I'd love to share some screenshots (that don't spoil things) but I can't. The PS4 actively blocks all sharing functions for the game until the 10th.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've asked the retailer that I preordered from and they assured me that I'll have it on release date. Apparently there's more info coming on 6 April.
And now they've gone back on the promise and it's now looking like it might not arrive until the week of the 27th.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I want to know when the digital version will be available for download. I heard its a huge download but I am curious to watch it on my 1G internet connection!

edit: I know its the 10th but curious as to exact time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.