Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Sony isn't going to go after this emulator.

People are trying to compare the recent Nintendo/Yuzu thing with PS1 emulation and it is two different ballparks. One is a current gen system (Switch) which will always lead to more eyes on it. In addition, Nintendo is historically more strict with emulation than other companies.
More importantly, Yuzu tried to monetize access to current game releases like Zelda.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Almost every retro gamer on YouTube is a 50 year old man trying to capture some moment of his youth and get likes from other 50 year old men.
This is either an exaggeration or just an affirmation out of ignorance.

I’m a young millennial on his 30s and I’ve enjoyed this games during my early years, in the late 90s. And even tho I admit that I would replay them out of nostalgia, and even for me it’s a bit rough to go back to that first-gen tridimensional graphics, I know people from my generation, or even younger, that still enjoys them. Many masterpieces that are nowadays being remade were launched between 1996 and 1999.

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
I guess you don't have kids? Retro is kinda in.

Nah don't play with me. I know everything that goes on in every tech sphere. Yeah retro is kinda in, and mostly old guys and Chinese companies selling these handhelds with bad Android installs on them. Most kids just don't care. You try to make them watch Casablanca and they think you are a dumb boomer. You try to make them play Super Nintendo and they want you to go away so they can pull out Mario Wonder.

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
This is either an exaggeration or just an affirmation out of ignorance.

I’m a young millennial on his 30s and I’ve enjoyed this games during my early years, in the late 90s.

So instead of a 50 year old trying to recapture a moment of his youth you are a 30 something year old trying to recapture a moment of his youth.

That's fine. But just admit it. When I play an old game or watch an old movie I don't delude myself to believe that's what kids want. They should experience it but they always want what other kids have. New stuff.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Almost every retro gamer on YouTube is a 50 year old man trying to capture some moment of his youth and get likes from other 50 year old men.

It's really though for kids to get into old games. Most of them won't even watch an old black and white movie. If they take a retro handheld console to school the other kids laugh at them and call them poor for not having a Switch or PS5.
I'm in my early 30's. My friends' responses to my PS2 and Gamecube consoles running into my modern TV have been nothing but positive. Not everyone who enjoys a bit of nostalgia is a 50 year "old".

To be honest, I wouldn't expect young people nowadays to really appreciate the older or retro consoles. When I was young, I was shown an old ZX Spectrum, and I had zero interest in it compared to the (at the time) modern PS1. Kids today get 4K imagery, beautifully detailed models, post-processing effects, online interactions, infinite and evolving worlds... why would a PS1 interest them beyond maybe being curious to know what their parents maybe played?

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
I'm in my early 30's. My friends' responses to my PS2 and Gamecube consoles running into my modern TV have been nothing but positive. Not everyone who enjoys a bit of nostalgia is a 50 year "old".

To be honest, I wouldn't expect young people nowadays to really appreciate the older or retro consoles. When I was young, I was shown an old ZX Spectrum, and I had zero interest in it compared to the (at the time) modern PS1. Kids today get 4K imagery, beautifully detailed models, post-processing effects, online interactions, infinite and evolving worlds... why would a PS1 interest them beyond maybe being curious to know what their parents maybe played?

That's what I'm saying, but when I said 50 year olds I specified the YouTubers with the retro gaming channels.

I want young generations to look at, play and study everything from retro gaming to classics to golden age cinema. I want them to watch John Travolta on the disco floor. But I know that they'll just be thinking I'm a weird gen X acting like a boomer.

Reactions: Unggoy Murderer

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
So instead of a 50 year old trying to recapture a moment of his youth you are a 30 something year old trying to recapture a moment of his youth.

That's fine. But just admit it. When I play an old game or watch an old movie I don't delude myself to believe that's what kids want. They should experience it but they always want what other kids have. New stuff.
Yeah, I agree with you on that. Not saying no-kid will enjoy it, but yeah, most kids won’t. Especially having a Switch or, when they grow up to an age of being able to see violence and sex (let’s pretend parents will parent), a PS5 or even PS6 over this retro games.

We live in the overstimulation era, and the shiniest and brightest and smoothest thing is what draws our attention, even to the older-young crowd.

Reactions: Pezimak

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Why does this app HAVE to include identifiers that track you, collect location and usage etc?

Seems like the absolutely worst thing for an emulator to include.
According to the developer on Reddit its leftover crud on the SDK and not data actually being collected. The dev himself has been around since the iOS1 days of Cydia.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Its worth mentioning that Sony's EULA isn't worth the paper its printed on. That is to say that if you have a ton of digital PS1 purchases stuck in some PS3-limbo that you cannot play anymore, you can legally play a backup of it on an emulator. Set your property free!

Reactions: amartinez1660

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
At this point, as more and more of these emulators officially release on the App Store, is their any point in getting those Chinese game emulator handhelds? Or is sticking with your phone and a controller like the Backbone One a better option? I’m guessing my iPhone 14 Pro Max is more powerful than most of them? With the more expensive latest ones only being better.

I‘m not even mentioning iPad as those are very powerful for this task.
I have a Miyoo Mini +. Haven't played it in a long time (life) but its a nice lil machine and when you install OnionOS instead of its base os, it's a great lil emulator. Obviously the price is much better for that then any iPhone + any controller (I feel backbone style controllers are the best way to go with iPhone).

One bonus with it that I'm going to have with MM+ is that when my kid is old enough he can use that to play games with, as I'll be trying like hell to not have him use a smart phone for as long as possible.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I have a Miyoo Mini +. Haven't played it in a long time (life) but its a nice lil machine and when you install OnionOS instead of its base os, it's a great lil emulator. Obviously the price is much better for that then any iPhone + any controller (I feel backbone style controllers are the best way to go with iPhone).

One bonus with it that I'm going to have with MM+ is that when my kid is old enough he can use that to play games with, as I'll be trying like hell to not have him use a smart phone for as long as possible.

I understand that situation, good move keeping them off smartphones, sadly I don’t have to worry about that myself. I did look at the MM+ along with so many others. But I feel with the power of the iPhone, a controller although more expensive would be a better option, it’ll save having another device. I have a Steam Deck if I want serious emulation, but I want to play PSP on a more portable device and I know PPSSPP plan on releasing their emulator on iPhone by end of the year. I have an original PSP and loads of games but it’s a little tired and whilst it still works, I don’t want to use it until it breaks.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA

It's really tough for kids to get into old games. Most of them won't even watch an old black and white movie. If they take a retro handheld console to school the other kids laugh at them and call them poor for not having a Switch or PS5.
True - for me personally, I grabbed classic RC Pro Am (Nintendo) for the Delta emulator...I LOVED that game in late 80s, early 90s. The iPhone is just like the original, sounds ...everything. Except now, I suck at this game. 😆 Also original Contra. The controlling on the iPhone...no buttons, just slick screen is a BIG challenge.

I guess I can connect a PS4, Xbox Series X controller to the phone?? (No idea, Im new to that)...if so, that would make paying it better.

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

It's really tough for kids to get into old games. Most of them won't even watch an old black and white movie. If they take a retro handheld console to school the other kids laugh at them and call them poor for not having a Switch or PS5.
I would’ve thought the same but yesterday on a flight I was next to a 20 something guy who opened Delta and started playing one of the GBA Castlevanias.

Attachments

• IMG_3891.jpeg
    IMG_3891.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 420

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m really looking forward a PS2 emulator. That’s the generation I enjoyed the most! And I’m pretty sure that with the power of M4 it could be possible to even enhance the resolution or even upscale textures of the games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.