Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
All controllers crash the app instantly when you press a button
I've tried 3 different ones

Needs a bug fix

Shelved for now

8trius

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
Pacific Northwest
At this point, as more and more of these emulators officially release on the App Store, is their any point in getting those Chinese game emulator handhelds? Or is sticking with your phone and a controller like the Backbone One a better option? I’m guessing my iPhone 14 Pro Max is more powerful than most of them? With the more expensive latest ones only being better.

I‘m not even mentioning iPad as those are very powerful for this task.
I've dabbled in emulation since the mid-90's, and handheld emulators since about 2019. I've tried the original Retroid Pocket 2, a Samsung Galaxy S10e with 8BitDo Pro 2 controller and adapter, a Steam Deck, a softmodded 2DS and 3DS, a softmodded Wii U, a Steam Deck, the original Anbernic RG35XX and the RG35XX Plus. I've also got a Switch (for my kids) and Switch OLED (for me).

And now I've got Delta on my iPhone 15 Pro.

Honestly, I like turn-based RPG's on Delta, like Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals for the SNES. It's nice to be able to quickly make a little bit of grinding progress and shut it off, and the on-screen controls are sufficient.

But I found my own personal sweet spot with the Anbernic RG35XX devices. A dedicated handheld that only exists for gaming and gaming ALONE, that's small enough to fit in a pocket and is easy to play while waiting in line at the grocery store or wherever.

It boots quickly, offers distraction-free gaming, and I love that while I'm playing it it's not killing my phone's battery life.

For less than $70, this device did the trick for me and I love it. Delta has only made it so that I'm enjoying games that require some grinding, especially turn-based RPG's. But everything else is perfect on this device and I spent about 95% of my 2023 gaming time on my Anbernic RG35XX and Plus.

Reactions: Regbial and Pezimak

8trius

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
Pacific Northwest
So instead of a 50 year old trying to recapture a moment of his youth you are a 30 something year old trying to recapture a moment of his youth.

That's fine. But just admit it. When I play an old game or watch an old movie I don't delude myself to believe that's what kids want. They should experience it but they always want what other kids have. New stuff.
What in the hell do you have against people reconnecting with parts of themselves through the hobbies they indulge in?

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
I’m really looking forward a PS2 emulator. That’s the generation I enjoyed the most! And I’m pretty sure that with the power of M4 it could be possible to even enhance the resolution or even upscale textures of the games.
PS2 runs on current mid range Android phones, doesn't need the “power of the M4”.
On iOS however, it's possible, because Apple does not allow access to certain technologies needed for performance (at least that's how I understood it). The Gamecube/Wii emulator is not running properly on iOS while it's at 100% on Macs. It's an artificial barrier ‘for security’ (that apparently is only necessary on iOS/iPadOS).

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I have NSO - I dont think its that limited - It has pretty much all the N64 games I loved as a teenager and a ton of other stuff - I am currently playing thru Paper Mario 64 to get into the groove for the 1000 yr door remaster coming next week.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I've dabbled in emulation since the mid-90's, and handheld emulators since about 2019. I've tried the original Retroid Pocket 2, a Samsung Galaxy S10e with 8BitDo Pro 2 controller and adapter, a Steam Deck, a softmodded 2DS and 3DS, a softmodded Wii U, a Steam Deck, the original Anbernic RG35XX and the RG35XX Plus. I've also got a Switch (for my kids) and Switch OLED (for me).

And now I've got Delta on my iPhone 15 Pro.

Honestly, I like turn-based RPG's on Delta, like Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals for the SNES. It's nice to be able to quickly make a little bit of grinding progress and shut it off, and the on-screen controls are sufficient.

But I found my own personal sweet spot with the Anbernic RG35XX devices. A dedicated handheld that only exists for gaming and gaming ALONE, that's small enough to fit in a pocket and is easy to play while waiting in line at the grocery store or wherever.

It boots quickly, offers distraction-free gaming, and I love that while I'm playing it it's not killing my phone's battery life.

For less than $70, this device did the trick for me and I love it. Delta has only made it so that I'm enjoying games that require some grinding, especially turn-based RPG's. But everything else is perfect on this device and I spent about 95% of my 2023 gaming time on my Anbernic RG35XX and Plus.

Thank you for the reply, interesting how you've found your time taken up by a little Anbernic, I have looked at those. Seen lots of review videos of all the different types of devices. The RG35XX H and the RG505 have caught my eye.
What is the build quality like with Anbernic devices?

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
"Gamma Emulator......Developed by Benjamin Stark"

Pfffftt....what an underachiever. His brother created the Arc Reactor and found the actual gamma signature of the Tesseract.
Tony Stark was able to build this in a CAVE, with a box of scraps!!

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Y’all will really try to move the goal posts to justify this. It’s wild
Sorry but you are always posting in emulator threads complaining about them. It's annoying, and a lot of people are enjoying playing old games they either loved or never had the chance to play, while sitting on the toilet. Move on

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Sorry but you are always posting in emulator threads complaining about them. It's annoying, and a lot of people are enjoying playing old games they either loved or never had the chance to play, while sitting on the toilet. Move on
And if you have an issue with my post you can scroll on instead of being offended by me rightly stating facts 🤧

I’m glad you’re enjoying them but it’s a forum and opinions are shared. Including those you don’t like.

They are beautiful designed apps.

Reactions: iOS Geek

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Glad to see emulators on the app store.

It’s actually bad for the niche emulator community who say they do it to preserve games not to pirate.

When things like this become popular purely for piracy reasons then more legit rom sites get shut down and more fake malware rom sites are created.

8trius

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
Pacific Northwest
In most cases being 99 percent, definitely. Let’s be real.
You make it sound like it's a good thing that probably 90% of a retro system's library will never be resurrected if there weren't people trying to keep it alive through preservation.

What's your solution for those games that haven't been touched and may never be touched again? Tell people to buy secondhand hardware and software at exorbitant prices in order to play them? What happens when those devices die? What do we do then?

You're only thinking this through a very narrow lens.

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
You make it sound like it's a good thing that probably 90% of a retro system's library will never be resurrected if there weren't people trying to keep it alive through preservation.

What's your solution for those games that haven't been touched and may never be touched again? Tell people to buy secondhand hardware and software at exorbitant prices in order to play them? What happens when those devices die? What do we do then?

You're only thinking this through a very narrow lens.
It's a very weird stance they're having. If it's about emulating games that were developed within the past 10 years and are still easily obtainable in physical/digital storefronts, sure. Excellent concern. That's overwhelmingly not the case here.

That said, PPSSPP just released!

8trius

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
Pacific Northwest
It's a very weird stance they're having. If it's about emulating games that were developed within the past 10 years and are still easily obtainable in physical/digital storefronts, sure. Excellent concern. That's overwhelmingly not the case here.

That said, PPSSPP just released!
I'd agree. While I do have some concerns about how modern game licenses are handled (especially with family accounts, as I've got three kids and a girlfriend who has two kids herself and no family account will be able to support all of us), I understand wanting to protect the market where people make things for people who want to buy those things and everyone is happy.

I want to support the developers and was thrilled to put down my $39.99 for Metroid Prime Remastered, as well as $45 for Super Mario RPG for Switch (on sale at Walmart a few weeks back; terrific game!). I completely understand the illegality of pirating modern games you COULD pay to the devs but refuse to.

This all reminds me of that Steve Jobs essay, "Thoughts On Music," back when I was an Apple employee in February of 2007. Steve said that people wanted to own their music, not rent it, so that's why Apple worked very hard to set up the iTunes Store to make it possible for people to legally purchase music, and eventually got DRM removed.

I do have the sense that once I've purchased a piece of software, I should be able to play it on whatever device I want. Legal or not, that's how I view it and I've set my life up in order to achieve that goal.

Buy what's new, preserve what's old. The world copyright systems were not prepared to handle digital goods and need a revamping.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Don’t care about any of this stuff. I like my phone and pad to have good battery life.

I have this Anbernic thing and it is ****. So buggy. Many emulators are unpredictable. Sometimes for no reason just suck battery life away.

But then OpenEmu on my MBP is a dream. All console games work with no headache. 90% of MAME works without headache. Can’t do that with Retroarch it’s a pain to set up and it won’t even scan some stuff.

I have PlayStation (1,2,3,5) and Xbox (all of major ones) consoles also.

The PS3 Slim is the god tier console of all time if you maintain it well. The library is king.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.