Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TravelsInBlue

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2020
Bought this hub last time it was advertised on sale.

Trash.

I’m not sure why it’s so hard to make a quality dock. Most are terrible.

SpaceDog42

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2022
Till today I don't understand, why Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 devices aren't connectible anymore with modern macOS Laptops or Macs with USB-C and Thunderbolt 3/4

I've got PromisePegasus (1 and 2) Raid Level 5 storages – useless – to throw away?

Anybody who know solution?

:(
Check out the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. It will allow you to connect your storage to your newer Mac.

“The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter lets you connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices — such as external hard drives and Thunderbolt docks — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) / USB 4 ports on your Mac.”

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
I want Thunderbolt 4.

And I want that device to work with PCs too. I have TB4 on two of my desktops, one via an Asus card, and another via the motherboard connector on the backplane. I think. In any event, if I plug the dock into a TB4 port, I want to know it's going to work, whether it's a Windows machine or a Mac.

Yes, I'm a glutton. I want it all and I want it all now. Now if only that SR-71 in my avatar could only have Thunderbolt 4.

• Disagree
Reactions: lkrupp

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Not a fan of OWC. Their quality control leaves something to be desired. Perhaps others have had better luck, but all the hubs I've purchased from them have given me nothing but headaches.
Agreed. I removed the usage of their docks recently. Kept getting disconnects from them. Seemed to be an overheating issue because it always happens when its hot to the touch.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Not a fan of OWC. Their quality control leaves something to be desired. Perhaps others have had better luck, but all the hubs I've purchased from them have given me nothing but headaches.
Just the opposite for me. OWC is my goto source for docks, hubs, and external storage. Never have had an issue with any of their products I use. I bought the 14 port Thunderbolt dock when it was discounted to $99. Plug and play. It even supports the Apple SuperDrive DVD drive. I don’t need to plug it in directly to an available port on my M1 Studio Max.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
They're a long time Mac peripherals company and they're a frequent sponsor (advertiser) of MacRumors.

I'm wondering given the nature of the last ~10 years of very closed Mac systems if they're having financial stress.
Yeah they used to be THE BEST place to go for Mac upgrades back in the PowerPC days. They hung on well in the Intel era with storage and RAM upgrade kits. It seems like they're increasingly turning into a garage sale site, which I don't mean in a necessarily mean/nasty way. I love looking through weird niche computer stuff, even if I'm a bit sad that it isn't what it used to be. Still a great place to sometimes find stuff for my retro hardware repairs.

Look at what happened to the NewerTech brand... used to sell awesome PPC processor upgrade kits, cards, high capacity PBG4 and iBook batteries, all sorts of useful stuff. Now they're basically selling phone cases and replacement batteries for older intel computers.

Plenty of Apple authorized resellers have gone under, too, over the last decade-ish.

Remember all the ads from Mac vendors in MacWorld and MacAddict? 🥲

I have bought tons of stuff from OWC over the years, including one of these docks (mine seems to be fine so far).

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Yeah they used to be THE BEST place to go for Mac upgrades back in the PowerPC days. They hung on well in the Intel era with storage and RAM upgrade kits. It seems like they're increasingly turning into a garage sale site, which I don't mean in a necessarily mean/nasty way. I love looking through weird niche computer stuff, even if I'm a bit sad that it isn't what it used to be. Still a great place to sometimes find stuff for my retro hardware repairs.

Look at what happened to the NewerTech brand... used to sell awesome PPC processor upgrade kits, cards, high capacity PBG4 and iBook batteries, all sorts of useful stuff. Now they're basically selling phone cases and replacement batteries for older intel computers.

Plenty of Apple authorized resellers have gone under, too, over the last decade-ish.

I have bought tons of stuff from OWC over the years, including one of these docks (mine seems to be fine so far).
Yeah, I did, too. Still have one of their eSATA + USB3 4-bay HDD drive enclosure that has been running mostly non-stop for something like 8-9 years.

NoImDirtyDan

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2020
Using Surface TB4 dock on M1 MBP. No issues so far. I tried to avoid paying up for a solid dock, but its not worth the headaches.

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
I use a Thunderbolt 4 dock from UGreen. So far, so good. I was looking for a dock with TB/USB ports only. I don't care for DP, HDMI or SD. This dock has 4x TB4, 3x USB-A 3.2 10Gbps, 1x RJ45 1Gbps. Fits my needs.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020

Edit - I turned on my work computer this morning (with the dock attached to it), and it failed. 🙃

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Check out the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. It will allow you to connect your storage to your newer Mac.

“The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter lets you connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices — such as external hard drives and Thunderbolt docks — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) / USB 4 ports on your Mac.”

Thanks for your friendly hint.

This adapter allows to connect some harddisk Thunderbolt 2 but not PromisePegasus 2 – I tried several times with different newer Macs/MBA/MBP without positive result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.