Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AirPods Pro will gain a new "hearing aid mode" with the release of iOS 18 later this year, according to the latest report by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

airpods-pro-noise-cancellation.jpg

Writing in the subscriber edition of his regular Power On newsletter, Gurman claims that the "big news" for AirPods Pro in the near term will be support for a hearing aid-style function when iOS 18 drops in the fall.

To be clear, this isn't the first time we have heard a potential hearing aid feature for AirPods Pro. The first rumor appeared in a 2021 Wall Street Journal report, but it was previously framed as a feature that would be exclusive to a next-generation model of AirPods Pro. However, Apple in September 2022 released the second-generation AirPods Pro, while the company more recently released a refreshed model with a USB-C port.

AirPods Pro already offer a Conversation Boost feature, which boosts the volume and clarity of people directly in front of the wearer, but Apple has not advertised the earbuds as a hearing aid device, because this would require FDA regulatory approval.

As per the FDA, a hearing aid is defined as "any wearable device designed for, offered for the purpose of, or represented as aiding persons with or compensating for, impaired hearing." This definition encompasses both air-conduction and bone-conduction devices in a variety of styles (for example, behind-the-ear, in-the-canal, or body worn).
Notably, in August 2022 the FDA approved a new category of over-the-counter hearing aids that do not have to adhere to the same strict legal requirements. The new category is called Personal sound amplification products (PSAPs). PSAPs are defined as any "electronic product that is intended for non-hearing impaired consumers to amplify sounds in certain environments, such as for hunting or other recreational activities, and is not intended to aid persons with or compensate for impaired hearing."

Unlike hearing aid devices, PSAPs are "not intended to treat, cure, mitigate, or prevent disease, and are not intended to affect the structure or function of the body." As such, there is no regulatory classification or product code for these products, and there are no requirements for legal registration by manufacturers or listing of these products with the FDA.

It is not yet clear whether Apple will need FDA clearance in order to make explicit or implicit claims about the rumored "hearing aid mode," which may not even adopt this exact name. If, for example, Apple subsequently suggests that AirPods Pro are for users with certain types or severity of hearing loss/impaired hearing, or for use as an alternative to a hearing aid, then they will require FDA regulatory approval to be marketed as such.
Apple is set to preview iOS 18 in June at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, and will inevitably release the major software update when the iPhone 16 series is launched, which is likely to be sometime in September.

Article Link: Gurman: AirPods Pro to Gain 'Hearing Aid Mode' in iOS 18

Reactions: snak-atak

a m u n

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2018
Good job! 👏

Apple really knows how to focus on the finer details in their products, and the AirPods exemplify this perfectly — not only do they feature elegant exteriors, but their internal engineering is also remarkably well-crafted.

F1snWnPWwAAvzra.jpeg

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This could be very useful. There are many, perhaps most, people with less hearing in one ear. And of course hearing degrades with time. This could be widely useful, and I don’t think it should require certification as it’s clearly not medical grade but that’s fine.

I’ve tried to use them as is for this, but the algorithms need some tuning. Conversation mode makes things worse for me, I hear everything *but* what I’m listening for. Adaptive mode is great in theory but still needs some fine tuning.

Overall I am excited for this though because Apple has been doing great things with the AirPods Pro.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
This is grim news for the hearing aid companies. I am always happy when old line businesses, who have been gouging customers because of lack of competition, start feeling the heat. There is slow growing bow wave that is going to take out the medical device companies. It is not the case here, but when you see lawyers backing the medical supply companies the writing is on the wall.

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
If, for example, Apple subsequently suggests that AirPods Pro are for users with certain types or severity of hearing loss/impaired hearing, or for use as an alternative to a hearing aid, then they will require FDA regulatory approval to be marketed as such.
IMO they'd be a bit nuts to do that... just implement an awesome solution that would pass approval (later) and call it "Adaptive Personal Audio Enhancement" or some wordy markospeak... though they've got the resources to easily deal with FDA approval so don't have to think like a starved startup like I do)

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
This is unlikely to be anything that will be of much use for those with severe hearing difficulties, where a medical grade and approved hearing aid is basically the only and best option. But for enhanced function in certain environments or those with the most minor hearing deficiencies… it could be really beneficial.

I doubt Apple want to become a medical tech company… this is consumer orientated tech.

uptownjimmy

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
I know of at least a few people in my life that would benefit from this. I don't know that AirPods would replace hearing aids, but they'd certainly be a welcome addition for a lot of people.
"Real" hearing aids are expensive, and insurance companies love to not pay for them. Apple would be doing the lord's work if they made real inroads into this market, it would be a blessing for a lot of people.

rustygh

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
This is unlikely to be anything that will be of much use for those with severe hearing difficulties, where a medical grade and approved hearing aid is basically the only and best option. But for enhanced function in certain environments or those with the most minor hearing deficiencies… it could be really beneficial.

I doubt Apple want to become a medical tech company… this is consumer orientated tech.
You're severely underrating these devices. With the case they get many hours and the functionality will work fine. "Medical grade approved hearing aid" that you so boldly mention as something special, has been tainted for a long time. Half the brands do not work as well as these AirPods and the ones that do cost thousands per ear.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This is grim news for the hearing aid companies. I am always happy when old line businesses, who have been gouging customers because of lack of competition, start feeling the heat. There is slow growing bow wave that is going to take out the medical device companies. It is not the case here, but when you see lawyers backing the medical supply companies the writing is on the wall.

Agree with gsurf123, this is great news and hopefully will exterminate the predator like hearing aid companies.
They have gouged and robbed those with hearing issues for decades!

There is plenty of room for disruption in the medical industry, and I won’t lose any sleep over a slight hit to their ridiculous profits.

If regulation will allow it, so many lives could be improved by modifying and removing some of our ridiculous protectionist laws.

There is a huge gap between protecting people from bad medicine and disallowing basic things that would be extremely helpful in the name of “safety” when it’s actually in the name of “obscene profits.”

Mannaerts

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Belgium, Antwerp
Interesting..
I have tinnitus. Wonder if with an uploaded audiogram, the new version could generate a tone out of phase to mitigate the frequency feedback..
My wife also has tinnitus but she once told me that using AirPods Pro could intensify the tinnitus when not using the AirPods Pro later in the day. Is this something that you can confirm or deny?

Reactions: lozion

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I was talked into spending £3000 on in-ear hearing aids a couple of years ago. I still use them but they’re a huge disappointment. Poor battery life, forever changing wax traps, subpar sound quality… an app that works occasionally.

I long for the day that Apple make an alternative that’s “good enough.” I genuinely don’t think the bar is particularly high.

KLESS1

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2024

AirPods Pro will gain a new "hearing aid mode" with the release of iOS 18 later this year, according to the latest report by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

airpods-pro-noise-cancellation.jpg

Writing in the subscriber edition of his regular Power On newsletter, Gurman claims that the "big news" for AirPods Pro in the near term will be support for a hearing aid-style function when iOS 18 drops in the fall.

To be clear, this isn't the first time we have heard a potential hearing aid feature for AirPods Pro. The first rumor appeared in a 2021 Wall Street Journal report, but it was previously framed as a feature that would be exclusive to a next-generation model of AirPods Pro. However, Apple in September 2022 released the second-generation AirPods Pro, while the company more recently released a refreshed model with a USB-C port.

AirPods Pro already offer a Conversation Boost feature, which boosts the volume and clarity of people directly in front of the wearer, but Apple has not advertised the earbuds as a hearing aid device, because this would require FDA regulatory approval.

As per the FDA, a hearing aid is defined as "any wearable device designed for, offered for the purpose of, or represented as aiding persons with or compensating for, impaired hearing." This definition encompasses both air-conduction and bone-conduction devices in a variety of styles (for example, behind-the-ear, in-the-canal, or body worn).
Notably, in August 2022 the FDA approved a new category of over-the-counter hearing aids that do not have to adhere to the same strict legal requirements. The new category is called Personal sound amplification products (PSAPs). PSAPs are defined as any "electronic product that is intended for non-hearing impaired consumers to amplify sounds in certain environments, such as for hunting or other recreational activities, and is not intended to aid persons with or compensate for impaired hearing."

Unlike hearing aid devices, PSAPs are "not intended to treat, cure, mitigate, or prevent disease, and are not intended to affect the structure or function of the body." As such, there is no regulatory classification or product code for these products, and there are no requirements for legal registration by manufacturers or listing of these products with the FDA.

It is not yet clear whether Apple will need FDA clearance in order to make explicit or implicit claims about the rumored "hearing aid mode," which may not even adopt this exact name. If, for example, Apple subsequently suggests that AirPods Pro are for users with certain types or severity of hearing loss/impaired hearing, or for use as an alternative to a hearing aid, then they will require FDA regulatory approval to be marketed as such.
Apple is set to preview iOS 18 in June at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, and will inevitably release the major software update when the iPhone 16 series is launched, which is likely to be sometime in September.

Article Link: Gurman: AirPods Pro to Gain 'Hearing Aid Mode' in iOS 18
I always hoped they made a "Gun Range" option, I'm sure they're more than capable. Lots of cheaper ones do it easy.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
What specifically would a "hearing aid mode" entail ? Tuneable frequency band boosting/reduction ? Add-on device for bone conduction ?

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
No worries from medical proscribe ear hearing aids/devices. I see a few 70-year-old men wearing in Japan. But I highly doubt at least times there are no medical endorsements for these wireless headsets.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
You're severely underrating these devices. With the case they get many hours and the functionality will work fine. "Medical grade approved hearing aid" that you so boldly mention as something special, has been tainted for a long time. Half the brands do not work as well as these AirPods and the ones that do cost thousands per ear.

No im not, i find it highly unlikely Apple will release a device that will replace hearing aids. There is a massive difference between airpod pro design and hearing aid design and regulation. I doubt Apple would want to burden a consumer product directed at “Pro” market under strict legal and technical regulations.

There is the medical device regulations, the issue of prescription rules in sone countries, tax exemptions etc

My main point stands that it could be great for people wanting enhanced sound in certain situations… but as a replacement for current medical devices? I find that really really wishful thinking… i mean look at Apple watch…

Im not underrating the devices… this is just reality. AirPods Pro are a consumer device, and a great one… but they are not a medical device.

Reactions: Kengineer

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
This will not be a hearing aid replacement for people with moderate to severe hearing loss. This will be for people who are in the early stages of hearing loss. This will act as a hearing assist.
Exactly, i agree completely. Apple will design and market it as an assist… nothing more. The bonus here is that it boosts sales while avoiding onerous regulation and restrictions.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

Chris F

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Interesting..
I have tinnitus. Wonder if with an uploaded audiogram, the new version could generate a tone out of phase to mitigate the frequency feedback..
It's possible. Loudspeakers have been using DSP for a long time now in order to correct in room frequency/phase response. The most recent designs have built DSP right into the speaker itself. Think of this as the same sort of thing except you are correcting for the response of your ear. The difficulty is sticking the DSP, which is computationally expensive, into something the size of an AirPod but hardware DSP tech has come a long way in recent years.

Reactions: lozion

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
reasons why i don't have a lot of faith in any new features from apple:

-will it be limited to airpods pro 2 with usb c because of the upgraded h2 chip? (having two versions of airpods pro 2 with differing functionality is not great)
-conversation boost is so convoluted to set up, apple doesn't make things straightforwards anymore.
-apple is buggy as all get out with absolutely everything these days. after finally setting up convesation boost, i hit the option to enable and disable it - i can hear the audio change, but the checkmark doesn't turn on or off. no way to keep track of whether its actually active.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 9.46.28 AM.png
1710164930801.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.