Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I am excited about this as I have high frequency hearing loss. I hope that part of this update includes a feature that introduces a system-wide sound equalizer across MacOS, iOS, and iPadOS (not just in the Music Apps). I have been using eqMac for this for the last few years on MacOS, but I would like a more seamless experience across all Apple operating systems.

ksujoel

macrumors demi-god
Sep 13, 2015
Kansas
This will not be a hearing aid replacement for people with moderate to severe hearing loss. This will be for people who are in the early stages of hearing loss. This will act as a hearing assist.
I have profound sensorineural hearing loss - I am completely deaf in one ear and have significant loss in the other. I wear a bi-Cros hearing aid system, which transmits voices or noises on my deaf side and transmits to my “good side”. These types of hearing aids are in $3,000+ range and I definitely depend on these.

Like you said, the hearing aid mode for AirPods won’t be for people like me, but rather for those that might have slight-mild loss. This could be a game-changer for them. Sure wish it could help me. It would be cheaper, for sure.

Letterman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2019
Simple, call it AirPods Pro with iHear Hearing Enhancement Technology :). No need to use the term "hearing aid". I've been waiting for a bridge technology like this since trying, and really disliking, true hearing aids a couple of years ago.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Good. The absurd amount America charges for hearing aids is insane for relatively simple tech.

Reactions: MrWillie

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
This is unlikely to be anything that will be of much use for those with severe hearing difficulties, where a medical grade and approved hearing aid is basically the only and best option. But for enhanced function in certain environments or those with the most minor hearing deficiencies… it could be really beneficial.

I doubt Apple want to become a medical tech company… this is consumer orientated tech.
Agreed. These are the equivalent of OTC hearing aids, as the article alludes to. These types of hearing aids are generally for people that can still hear without them, but need a little boost. They will never be an option for those with severe/profound hearing loss and/or those that need prescription hearing aids...at least not with this update or anytime soon.

I know someone who is severely/profoundly deaf and he can barely hear anything through earphones such as these, even when cranked up to the loudest setting (which does more harm than good). However, he can hear just fine using BTE prescription hearing aids that are programmed based on his audiogram. Also, not to mention, his batteries (size 675) last him just over two weeks. For something he is highly dependent on since he cannot hear anything without them, I couldn't imagine having to charge AirPods daily and not having the option to pop in new batteries when needed.

dangreen

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
I'm wondering if this is a new feature or just making an existing feature more prominent. I had found directions online last year how to use Mimi to create an audiogram and then use accessibility to boost hearing based on that audiogram. I have minor hearing loss and have found that it really helps with everyday things like watching TV or listening in a crowd. I'm not ready to drop 3k or more on hearing aids or look like the old man I'm becoming. For me, this works great.

Last edited:

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Good job! 👏

Apple really knows how to focus on the finer details in their products, and the AirPods exemplify this perfectly
Apple's earbuds have, historically, contradicted this oft-repeated myth. The originals were asinine, having a bizarre flat face that you couldn't even attempt to insert into your ears. Not surprisingly they fell out all the time and sounded like ass.

image_a8d5df7c-a585-4b0b-a7b9-52c98ada85ca_1024x1024@2x.png

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple's earbuds have, historically, contradicted this oft-repeated myth. The originals were asinine, having a bizarre flat face that you couldn't even attempt to insert into your ears. Not surprisingly they fell out all the time and sounded like ass.

View attachment 2357914
I guess I’ve been lucky, Apples headphones have always working well for me going back to the iPod days.

I know several people whom they simply fall out for. Luck of the draw.

Once AirPods go silicone tip only I’ll have to move on. I don’t want any seals in my ears and I hate any of the things that make me feel like I need to q-tip my ears out.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
It's possible. Loudspeakers have been using DSP for a long time now in order to correct in room frequency/phase response. The most recent designs have built DSP right into the speaker itself. Think of this as the same sort of thing except you are correcting for the response of your ear. The difficulty is sticking the DSP, which is computationally expensive, into something the size of an AirPod but hardware DSP tech has come a long way in recent years.

Mother-in-Law’s $5,000 or so hearing aids uses her iPhone. You need the app to set them up and change the modes for different environments. It’s the same with her husband. Calls and music even play through them. I even mess with her from time to time by playing obscure music or weird sounds on her phone.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Mother-in-Law’s $5,000 or so hearing aids uses her iPhone. You need the app to set them up and change the modes for different environments. It’s the same with her husband. Calls and music even play through them. I even mess with her from time to time by playing obscure music or weird sounds on her phone.
What an insane cost for software functionality (that’s all hearing aids do, boost or reduce frequencies depending on a user’s need, some noise cancelling) that has been old hat for 20 years now.

jmadara

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Interesting..
I have tinnitus. Wonder if with an uploaded audiogram, the new version could generate a tone out of phase to mitigate the frequency feedback..
Same here. I have to have background noise, or it sounds like I'm in a forest full of cicadas.

Reactions: lozion

JustSomeInfo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2016
You can snap a pic of your audiogram and import it into the Accessibility settings. I use it and my right ear is no longer quieter when listening to certain things/frequencies.

I have no idea if this affects noises that are passed through from the outside world.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
If any company could afford to get FDA approval, you would think it would be Apple.

They should just do it already.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
My wife also has tinnitus but she once told me that using AirPods Pro could intensify the tinnitus when not using the AirPods Pro later in the day. Is this something that you can confirm or deny?
Well now that you mention it I do notice sometimes my tinnitus gets louder after wearing my AirPods Pro for long stints, even if not listening to music. I even sometimes sleep with them with noise cancelation on as I'm in a rather noisy area..

Not sure how to quantify though the difference between music contributing to more tinnitus Vs simple wearing (noise canc is always on).. 🤔

Ps: Sometimes I forget to lower the alert volume when reading before going to sleep and a notif comes in at full blast, it hurts and is enough to trigger more tinnitus.. sigh.

Rob07003

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2016
I hope Apple is planning to integrate telecoil (T-Coil) technology. Anyone know?

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Looks like it will be a great feature addition! Expecting the new AirPods Pro latest by September.

zenotds

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2019
As a person with single side hearing deficit that just spent 4grands on a new hearing aid device that mildly mitigates the situation this is great news... even if it would be a feature only in some new AirPods Pro 3. Having a product in the 3-500 bucks range is a game changer. Also consider that the vast majority of "invisible" hearing aid devices offer no volume/eq tuning or streaming capabilities.

zenotds

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2019
You can snap a pic of your audiogram and import it into the Accessibility settings. I use it and my right ear is no longer quieter when listening to certain things/frequencies.

I have no idea if this affects noises that are passed through from the outside world.
Wow. I just found out about this thanks to you. Gonna try it asap

gridlocked

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2019
RI
I would need four pair to come close to the battery life of my phonaks. Hearing loss for me is mush worse in one ear so that ear has a much louder receiver which is possible because they are modular. I bought a pair that was being phased out for $800. I looked at these but the battery life was a huge negative right off the bat.

Bonobo

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Germany

EARMOLDS!​

I’m hard of hearing, totally deaf above 4 KHz.
If there was a mechanical interface for earmolds, I’d immediately purchase 😄

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
What Apple hearing aids would solve, hiding the use of hearing aids in plain sight. Most hearing aid products try to hide them. Why not just think the user is just listening to music or answering one’s cellphone. Hearing aids that hide as Apple AirPods. Sold!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.