Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
So I was just checking out the Apple site and looking at the AirTags and the keyring holders etc. Anyway, I pretty much spat out my drink when I noticed the Hermes Luggage Tag coming in at £399......:eek: - It's just a tiny piece of leather!
Just wait until you can get third-party ones off Amazon. Hermes prices are nuts.

I got a stainless steel band off Amazon for my Apple Watch when I got my S0. Cost me $19.99 CAD, and I’m still using it today with my S4, and it looks the same as the day I got it.

Reactions: Polly Mercocet

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Their watch bands at ~$350 are high-priced, but I don't feel they are crazy high-priced. I saw a video of one being made which is labor intensive and they use the softest and thinnest leather. Why are the luggage tags priced at $500 I don't understand. Some of their items are only slightly higher priced (for instance their new H24 eau de toilette is only $100) because of their name-branding, but some are way high-priced!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boardiesboi

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
I would mock this except I know full well that if there was a Gucci Apple Watch for the price of the Hermes one I would 100% buy it lol. I just have no interest in Hermes as a brand. I got Gucci jewellery, clothing, and trainers but wouldn't have ever heard of Hermes if they didn't make stuff with Apple. My age group is probably just not their target market. If it was they'd be paying rappers to namedrop them. These companies know what they're doing and who their market is, brand image is everything for designers.

As for the AirTags I just paid £12 for a Belkin keyring. But I might see if the Amazon options will arrive earlier because at the moment it's a few weeks between getting my pack of AirTags and my keyring.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I would mock this except I know full well that if there was a Gucci Apple Watch for the price of the Hermes one I would 100% buy it lol. I just have no interest in Hermes as a brand. I got Gucci jewellery, clothing, and trainers but wouldn't have ever heard of Hermes if they didn't make stuff with Apple. My age group is probably just not their target market. If it was they'd be paying rappers to namedrop them. These companies know what they're doing and who their market is, brand image is everything for designers.

As for the AirTags I just paid £12 for a Belkin keyring. But I might see if the Amazon options will arrive earlier because at the moment it's a few weeks between getting my pack of AirTags and my keyring.

It’s not really a brand that appeals to me either and have only heard of Hermes through Apple and luxury Vloggers on Instagram raving about their belts. It’s not a brand I would go for and think their Apple stuff is excruciatingly overpriced for what it is. You’ve got to seriously think the brand is cool to pay those sorts of prices I think.

If you ask British people what they think of Hermes, I think their first thought would be ‘aren’t they that rubbish courier who always damage and lose our parcels?’ Lol

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
If you ask British people what they think of Hermes, I think their first thought would be ‘aren’t they that rubbish courier who always damage and lose our parcels?’ Lol
Wonder why there's isn't a trademark law suite over Hermes (courier) vs Hermès? Maybe because it's not exactly the same name, the difference being the accented "e" in Hermès?

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
Wonder why there's isn't a trademark law suite over Hermes (courier) vs Hermès? Maybe because it's not exactly the same name, the difference being the accented "e" in Hermès?

Trademarks are industry specific.

That was my first thought when I heard the brand name too ?

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
It’s not really a brand that appeals to me either and have only heard of Hermes through Apple and luxury Vloggers on Instagram raving about their belts. It’s not a brand I would go for and think their Apple stuff is excruciatingly overpriced for what it is. You’ve got to seriously think the brand is cool to pay those sorts of prices I think.

It's a brand that's over hyped for sure. But it's well known in fashion. Famous for its leather, in particular it's Birkin bag, price ranging from £10k to 6 figures, and they limit to who can buy it, and if one is lucky to get an invite to buy it, the waiting list is like 5-6 years.

I don't know why Apple is partnering with Hermes, it's on another level to Louis Vuitton, Gucci and etc, it's so exclusive, I'd think Louis Vuitton would have been a better choice, maybe it's too flashy.

• Love
Reactions: calstanford

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
I don't know why Apple is partnering with Hermes, it's on another level to Louis Vuitton, Gucci and etc, it's so exclusive, I'd think Louis Vuitton would have been a better choice, maybe it's too flashy.

I have wondered the same, just wrote a long post about it in the Hermes thread. I don't see why Apple hasn't collaborated with more designers over the years, it makes perfect business sense for both Apple and designers. And certainly Gucci and LV have more brand recognition and appeal to a wider audience who'd happily pay that designer price tag.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I bought a Hermes Apple Watch for my wife and the leather started fraying at the edges after only a couple of months. Overpriced garbage.

I had the same experience. Purchased a leather Hermes band for an Apple Watch and after a year (maybe two) of use, it was pretty beat up. The leather didn't stand up well to the buckle. The hole I used stretched a decent amount, and the band started to fray where the buckle was. There was also significant marking where the buckle met the band. I know leather patinas, but honestly, the Hermes band did not stand up as well as leather bands I have purchased for my non-smart watches have that are 1/5th the price.

This is counter to Hermes' reputation. I wonder if they are not using their top tier leather for the Apple collaborations or something. Personally, the Hermes Apple Watch stuff is grossly overpriced and you really are not getting much value for the money. Having said that, I understand why people buy them. The experience is great and they certainly are unique.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It's a brand that's over hyped for sure. But it's well known in fashion. Famous for its leather, in particular it's Birkin bag, price ranging from £10k to 6 figures, and they limit to who can buy it, and if one is lucky to get an invite to buy it, the waiting list is like 5-6 years.

I’m quite proud to say I don’t have a great deal of interest in super luxury fashion brands lol. It amuses me there is a £1k premium on a stainless Apple Watch because it comes in an orange case, has a strap which is about £30 to make as well as a sport band and has a few bland faces with Hermes on it. I guess it comes down to personal enjoyment and satisfaction as it it’s less than impressive to those that aren’t bothered by the branding itself. I do think Apple should have picked a more widely recognisable brand, but then it’s their niche and aimed at such a select market I suppose.

This product certainly makes losing your rather inexpensive keys a pretty expensive affair that’s for sure lol.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I get the impression he thinks there are people on here who genuinely can’t afford to buy something that costs 300 pounds! lol. Unless I have got the wrong end of the stick?

Ha ha. My take, and the poster can comment himself, is no need to visit every subforum to complain about what you're not buying.

Anyway, don't mean to drag it off topic. It's not for me either. I get it, and they're pretty (the watches in particular), but not my thing. I do like looking at them though.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
I’m quite proud to say I don’t have a great deal of interest in super luxury fashion brands lol. It amuses me there is a £1k premium on a stainless Apple Watch because it comes in an orange case, has a strap which is about £30 to make as well as a sport band and has a few bland faces with Hermes on it. I guess it comes down to personal enjoyment and satisfaction as it it’s less than impressive to those that aren’t bothered by the branding itself. I do think Apple should have picked a more widely recognisable brand, but then it’s their niche and aimed at such a select market I suppose.

This product certainly makes losing your rather inexpensive keys a pretty expensive affair that’s for sure lol.

I guess, high fashion purchase is just like another hobby, if you know you know.... If you don't it doesn't mean anything to you, for example, I like very expensive pens, and would spend over a thousand pound to get a Mont Blanc limited edition, I know this serve the same purpose as a BIC that sells for £1.50 from WH Smith, one might think it's crazy. On another hand, I have no idea of cars, a Ferrari and a Hyundai are just cars to me, though one might look better aesthetically.... Don't have a driving license, can't drive it anyway.... I do respect people who are into cars...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Ha ha. My take, and the poster can comment himself, is no need to visit every subforum to complain about what you're not buying.

Anyway, don't mean to drag it off topic. It's not for me either. I get it, and they're pretty (the watches in particular), but not my thing. I do like looking at them though.
I spotted this thread in the new post feed through Tapatalk and the thread OP isn’t buying the product either, so I guess it’s exactly the thread for me lol. I think it was the other guy who was in the wrong thread :)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I guess, high fashion purchase is just like another hobby, if you know you know.... If you don't it doesn't mean anything to you, for example, I like very expensive pens, and would spend over a thousand pound to get a Mont Blanc limited edition, I know this serve the same purpose as a BIC that sells for £1.50 from WH Smith, one might think it's crazy. On another hand, I have no idea of cars, a Ferrari and a Hyundai are just cars to me, though one might look better aesthetically.... Don't have a driving license, can't drive it anyway.... I do respect people who are into cars...

I used to collect mechanical watches as a hobby so completely get that. People used to ask why I’d spend so much on a watch when a Casio did the same thing. Never lost money on a watch though.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006

I used to collect mechanical watches as a hobby so completely get that. People used to ask why I’d spend so much on a watch when a Casio did the same thing. Never lost money on a watch though.

Yeah I think the difference with something like the Hermes keychain or watch bands is that you are paying for the name and the last 0.01% in quality. Certainly a BIC pen works as well (maybe better in some scenarios) than a limited edition Mont Blanc, but there is a scarcity and collectibility aspect to the Mont Blanc that the BIC doesn't have. Same with watches (there are plenty of appreciating Casios out there!). Another example are the Hermes bags that go for $10k+. There is a collectibility factor there. With the Apple-Hermes collaborations, we are talking a mass produced item whose value is all in the craftsmanship and name. Now the craftsmanship is rather good, but you are either paying a hefty sum for the small increase in quality over the next best thing or the name. Really it is up to the purchaser to decide what they are spending the money on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.