Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Who are you referring to?
The comment wasn’t referring to anyone specifically but people who in general do this. It’s just like how people obsess about the price of a Rolex watch. I don’t care if the price of the Rolex watch is $20,000. I don’t own one and can’t afford one

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
The comment wasn’t referring to anyone specifically but people who in general do this. It’s just like how people obsess about the price of a Rolex watch. I don’t care if the price of the Rolex watch is $20,000. I don’t own one and can’t afford one

The thing about Rolexes, and any high end Swiss watch really, is they won't lose value and in many cases will actually increase in value over time. I know a guy who owns a couple of Rolexes but keeps them in the boxes at home and wears a Citizen because he's into watches but doesn't feel comfortable wearing something so expensive out and about. He also sees those Rolexes as investments. The price he paid for them is already less than the going market rate right now so that seems smart to me.

People who bang on about the price of a Rolex really miss this point. A Rolex is an appreciating asset. At the very least it will maintain its value. You won't lose money on it assuming you keep it stock.

Of course this isn't true for something like a Hermes Apple Watch, where it's ultimately still a piece of technology that will become obsolete, but then those don't cost Rolex money either.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This topic is a bit different though I’d say. If there is anyone here who couldn’t afford a Hermes luggage tag, they probably wouldn’t be on this forum in the first place as all Apple products are expensive and often more than £300. I personally think people are less obsessed and more less impressed. It all boils down to what people are interested in I suppose and this thread is separate from those that contain posters who appreciate Hermes. I think it would be poor form to criticise Hermes products in the appreciation threads.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This topic is a bit different though I’d say. If there is anyone here who couldn’t afford a Hermes luggage tag, they probably wouldn’t be on this forum in the first place as all Apple products are expensive and often more than £300. I personally think people are less obsessed and more less impressed. It all boils down to what people are interested in I suppose and this thread is separate from those that contain posters who appreciate Hermes. I think it would be poor form to criticise Hermes products in the appreciation threads.
It’s not about affording the tag. Even if you can afford it if you’re not making a high six-figure salary it’s not for you. That tag goes on a $5000 piece of luggage so if you put it on a “cheap” $300 bag it’s gonna look silly. Of course I don’t know what you make so maybe you can afford this but I can’t. Sure I can afford the tag but like I said I can’t afford the lifestyle that goes with that tag. That tag is marketed to people with high six-figure income. I don’t think there’s nothing wrong with having a luxury version for sale as long as they don’t stop selling version for the average person. My point was I just never got why people are so critical of stuff like this. It’s not insensitive or unethical for Apple to sell a more expensive product. I’m sure a lot of people cannot afford or at least cannot budget iPhone 12 Pro Max but I’m glad they have the option because I love mine.

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
Well it’s nice they stand behind their product
The repaired armband came in a nice Hermès bag. Also received a myriad of perfume samples.

Attachments

• tempImageqnKH5N.png
    tempImageqnKH5N.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: Polly Mercocet

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s not about affording the tag. Even if you can afford it if you’re not making a high six-figure salary it’s not for you. That tag goes on a $5000 piece of luggage so if you put it on a “cheap” $300 bag it’s gonna look silly. Of course I don’t know what you make so maybe you can afford this but I can’t. Sure I can afford the tag but like I said I can’t afford the lifestyle that goes with that tag. That tag is marketed to people with high six-figure income. I don’t think there’s nothing wrong with having a luxury version for sale as long as they don’t stop selling version for the average person. My point was I just never got why people are so critical of stuff like this. It’s not insensitive or unethical for Apple to sell a more expensive product. I’m sure a lot of people cannot afford or at least cannot budget iPhone 12 Pro Max but I’m glad they have the option because I love mine.
I don’t think this tag is necessarily aimed at specific people who use luxury luggage on six figure salaries, just anybody that feels inclined to want it. Some like certain brands and others don’t. I can’t speak on behalf of the people who criticise Apple for selling this as I’m not one of them. I’ve just voiced my opinion on the product itself from my own point of view. Like iPhones too. A lot of people I know earn less than me but have a more expensive iPhone. It’s down to what you want at the end of the day. I don’t want a 12 Pro Max but don’t fault Apple for offering it as an option for those that do. As long as you’re buying the best phone in your eyes, that’s all that matters. If that 300 quid luggage tag gives someone happiness then great.

Reactions: Polly Mercocet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.