Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok So is there a firmware for Maple Ridge ?
No. Maple Ridge also doesn't have macOS drivers, right now it's a glorified USB3.0 card - read more below:

Last edited:
Reactions: pwillis

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
No. Maple Ridge also don't have macOS drivers, right now it's a glorified USB3.0 card - read more below:

No. Maple Ridge also don't have macOS drivers, right now it's a glorified USB3.0 card - read more below:

Couple of questions if I may? I installed Titan Ridge with Opencore 0.7.5 and I have a thunderbolt 3.0 FD exterenal drive with WD 750 NVME in it. I get about 1400MBs read / write. I guess this is the max I can get due to PCIE 2.0 4X slot in Mac Pro 5,1 slot 4. I thought it would be closer to 2000MBs? FD says the drive gets over 3000MBs Also I cloned my drive to the FD drive formatted in APFS but Mac OS start up disk and OC bootloader don't see the drive as a boot choice. I thought I would be able to boot off the externnal thunderbolt clone but appears not, I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Couple of questions if I may? I installed Titan Ridge with Opencore 0.7.5 and I have a thunderbolt 3.0 FD exterenal drive with WD 750 NVME in it. I get about 1400MBs read / write. I guess this is the max I can get due to PCIE 2.0 4X slot in Mac Pro 5,1 slot 4. I thought it would be closer to 2000MBs?

Bottleneck is the Mac Pro x4 PCIe v2.0 slot, while 2000MB/s is the theoretical bandwidth before any overhead, real life sustained transfers are around 1450 to 1500MB/s for a x4 PCIe v2.0 slot.

FD says the drive gets over 3000MBs Also I cloned my drive to the FD drive formatted in APFS but Mac OS start up disk and OC bootloader don't see the drive as a boot choice. I thought I would be able to boot off the externnal thunderbolt clone but appears not, I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Nope, MacPros before late-2013 don´t have any TB support in the BootROM, TB is only supported after OpenCore is loaded, TitanRidge card is initialized/enumerated and the drivers loaded.

You can workaround that soft booting macOS from Windows, then the enumeration is done by Windows and most things work.

Last edited:
Reactions: lancemcv1

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
I can inject SSDT titan ridge in OCLP but I can't get auto reboot like in open core Martin Lo

Don't know which value to set up !!!

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Bottleneck is the PCIe v2.0 x4 connection, 2000MB/s is the theoretical bandiwidth before any overhead, real life sustained transfers are around 1450 to 1500MB/s.
Thanks for the response. So yeah 1400 is the max it seems with this FD Thunderbolt drive. But if I have my USB 3.1 hub connected to the second port and boot up the Thunderbolt drive drops to 900MBs and shows up under USB not Thunderbolt. I have to remove the USB hub do a cold boot, then reboot to get the thunderbolt drive to show up under thunderbolt again and then I can attach the USB hub and they then work together and I get the 1400MBs. It is a pain in the ass though so I am returning the Thunderbolt drive just doesnt seem worth the 300 bucks and I am going to get aa bigger pcie Samsung 970 Evo plus. I am just going to use the Titan Ridge as a USB 3.1 card because I do get better speeds with it with my Sandisk extreme pro which gets 900MBs as apposed to my older Sonnet USB 3.1 card only got around 650MBs with the Sandisk.
Nope, MacPros before late-2013 don´t have any TB support in the BootROM, TB is only supported after OpenCore is loaded, TitanRidge card is initialized/enumerated and the drivers loaded.
I was actually able to boot up off the thunderbolt drive with my cloned system. I had to reformat it then carbon copy cloner did its thing and made it bootable. But now that I think of it maybe it switched to USB 3.1 mode and then it booted maybe it was not connected as Thunderbolt but I am not sure. I did so many frickin reboots testing this out. I guess there is no way around having to do the cold boot / warm boot to get the drive to be recognized as Thunderbolt?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I was actually able to boot up off the thunderbolt drive with my cloned system. I had to reformat it then carbon copy cloner did its thing and made it bootable. But now that I think of it maybe it switched to USB 3.1 mode and then it booted maybe it was not connected as Thunderbolt but I am not sure. I did so many frickin reboots testing this out. I guess there is no way around having to do the cold boot / warm boot to get the drive to be recognized as Thunderbolt?
You are mistaken, you can't boot via 3rd party USB cards with MacPro5,1 - MacPro5,1 BootROM only support the native USB2.0 ports for booting. Like I wrote before, TB have zero support with MacPro BootROM and is completely ignored by MacPro5,1 firmware.

The only way that I see your scenario even possible is via the USB2.0 pass-thru, where the Titan Ridge just routes the USB2.0 signals to the Mac Pro southbridge USB ports via the USB2.0 header.

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
You are mistaken, you can't boot via 3rd party USB cards with MacPro5,1 - MacPro5,1 BootROM only support the native USB2.0 ports for booting. Like I wrote before, TB have zero support with MacPro BootROM and is completely ignored by MacPro5,1 firmware.

The only way that I see your scenario even possible is via the USB2.0 pass-thru, where the Titan Ridge just routes the USB2.0 signals to the Mac Pro southbridge USB ports via the USB2.0 header.

I do not have USB 2.0 header connected on the Titan Ridge and non of my USB 2.0 devices work with it. The Mac Pro did boot off the drive though or so I thought, I get what you are saying though but I would swear it did. As you can see from the pic attached it shows up as a bootalble option in the startup disk system prefs and it also showed up as a choice in the Opencore boot picker which is where I first selected it to boot and then it booted. I have since returned the drive so no more testing with it. Not here to argue and I know you ware way more knowledgeable.

Attachments

• Thunderbolt Boot.png
    Thunderbolt Boot.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 114

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You are mistaken, you can't boot via 3rd party USB cards with MacPro5,1. Firmware only support native USB2,0 and the only way that I see your scenario possible is via USB2.0 pass-thru, where the TitanRidge just routes the USB2.0 signals to the MacPro soutbridge USB ports.
I do not have USB 2.0 header connected on the Titan Ridge and non of my USB 2.0 devices work with it. The Mac Pro did boot off the drive though or so I thought, I get what you are saying though but I would swear it did. As you can see from the pic attached it shows up as a bootalble option in the startup disk system prefs and it also showed up as a choice in the Opencore boot picker which is where I first selected it to boot and then it booted. I have since returned the drive so no more testing with it. Not here to argue and I know you ware way more knowledgeable.
After OpenCore is loaded is not booting, but chain loading.

MacPro5,1 can’t boot from TB or any USB cards beside the native south bridge USB controller.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Maybe through multiple boots the PCIe devices of the Thunderbolt add-in card were able to get enumerated, so your NVMe Thunderbolt drive appears in UEFI.
You using OpenCore? Do you have flashed Thunderbolt card? Thunderbolt SSDT?
In OpenCore you can use OpenShell, and use the pci command to see what devices are enumerated.
Follow the posts starting from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/post-30732918 to see how to get info on devices visible in UEFI.

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Maybe through multiple boots the PCIe devices of the Thunderbolt add-in card were able to get enumerated, so your NVMe Thunderbolt drive appears in UEFI.
You using OpenCore? Do you have flashed Thunderbolt card? Thunderbolt SSDT?
In OpenCore you can use OpenShell, and use the pci command to see what devices are enumerated.
Follow the posts starting from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/post-30732918 to see how to get info on devices visible in UEFI.
Will check that out, and yes using Martin Lo's opencore 0.7.5 with Flashed TR says its an Apple device and yes it took several reboots for it to show up in the bootpicker and in Apples startup disk. Now that I don't have the drive anymore I can't try to recreate the situation. Although I could try it via USB 3.1 to see if a drive shows up so maybe I will try that.

Attachments

• Thunderbolt.png
    Thunderbolt.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 111

digitalmike13

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2022
Hi Folks.

I think I have tried the steps like 20 or more times. My mac pro sees my Titan Ridge 2 card, but none of the TB ports work. From system report I can see the Titan card but only as Titan Ridge, not Apple device. I also cannot see any USB 3.1 under UB.
Can anybody help or advice what should I do to make this work? I am running High Sierra on 4x3.2 Ghz, 16GB Ram.

How config apple device?
I modify the config file again today, just how you see on the image attached

I don't how about Apple device, how should i do this?
I found this link : https://zephyrsmarket.com/collectio...titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3-flashed-for-mac-pro

and I follow all again, but my mac pro 5.1 doesn't recognize

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 23.38.07.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 23.38.07.png
    984.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 23.37.53.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 23.37.53.png
    982.3 KB · Views: 143

digitalmike13

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2022
If you use mine you will get all working
Thanks a lot Kevin. I have uploaded your OC pack, indeed my TB now shows as Apple Inc, but none of my UAD Apollo card works, nor I cannot see my mobile connected through USB 3.1 port. It also does not show under USB 3.1 on the list under system report. Any advice please?

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
That’s strange I run my Apollo thunderbolt 2 and my satellite UAD thunderbolt 2 in daisy chain plugged to 1 thunderbolt port to the titan ridge the card must be installed in macpro slot 4

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
Sometimes when you use the both thunderbolt port it makes issues try connecting just on one port with thunderbolt 3 or thunderbolt 2 to 3 apple adapter

digitalmike13

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2022
I have already tried both options. Mac does not read my Apollo at all. I am updating my OSX to Mojave now do you think this may solve the issue?

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
I turn on my thunderbolt devices first then the Mac Pro opencore find them and active them after the automatic reboot it s only solution but the best once it has activated you can restart many times all stayed connected it’s due of uad drivers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.