Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
Question here:
I have a Mac Pro 5,1, and I like the price of the Gigabyte Maple Ridge card. I don’t need the full speed of Thunderbolt, and want it more so for Windows 11 side of things for Steam VR gaming using my Oculus Quest 2 (my current 3.1 card isn’t giving me a reliable connection). I’m ok with glorified USB 3 on the Mac.

Is the Gigabyte Maple Ridge card do-able for me?

I started out googling USB 4 cards, but it doesn’t look like those are being produced yet. I can play VR games just fine my 2019 16” MBP over thunderbolt 3 with a really good thunderbolt 4 cable. The Mac Pro is more powerful in every way (except single core CPU), but the VR connection cuts out. I know that the Xeon CPU isn’t officially supported, but the Oculus app gives it a high score, and so does the VR benchmark too. So, I’m hoping a better USB/Thunderbolt card is the way to resolve this.

Thanks in advance!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Question here:
I have a Mac Pro 5,1, and I like the price of the Gigabyte Maple Ridge card. I don’t need the full speed of Thunderbolt, and want it more so for Windows 11 side of things for Steam VR gaming using my Oculus Quest 2 (my current 3.1 card isn’t giving me a reliable connection). I’m ok with glorified USB 3 on the Mac.

Is the Gigabyte Maple Ridge card do-able for me?

I started out googling USB 4 cards, but it doesn’t look like those are being produced yet. I can play VR games just fine my 2019 16” MBP over thunderbolt 3 with a really good thunderbolt 4 cable. The Mac Pro is more powerful in every way (except single core CPU), but the VR connection cuts out. I know that the Xeon CPU isn’t officially supported, but the Oculus app gives it a high score, and so does the VR benchmark too. So, I’m hoping a better USB/Thunderbolt card is the way to resolve this.

I used the ASUS ThunderboltEX4 for USB 3.1 gen 2 on a MacPro3,1. I think DisplayPort Alt Mode should also work but I don't have the MacPro3,1 anymore. and the ThunderboltEX4 is packed away for now.

Reactions: Edgecrusherr

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I used the ASUS ThunderboltEX4 for USB 3.1 gen 2 on a MacPro3,1. I think DisplayPort Alt Mode should also work but I don't have the MacPro3,1 anymore. and the ThunderboltEX4 is packed away for now.
That's for your input. Do you remember roughly what kind of speeds you were getting off that card? I'm currently maxing out at 2.0Gbps on a cheaper USB 3.1 gen 1 card.

sines

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
I have 3x MacPro 5,1s, all booting Monterey 12.7.1-4 via McFiver cards using OC 0.9.8. One has a flashed Titan Ridge in slot 4 (with USB jumper) and NO 100W power. Confirmed working with using USB-C ports to mount drives so far. I'm trying to make some legacy DIT stations for Arri Alexa XTs which require either an ATTO 608 PCI card and MacFuse (going way back to Mojave or even Catalina), or preferably, the more recent Codex Capture Dock (Thunderbolt). I can successfully use these docks with a M1 MacMini or 2017 Intel MacBook Pro, but we want to use the speed and capacity of these towers to dump footage as fast as possible.

I get the following errors when using an Apple TB3>TB2 adapter and genuine, brand new TB2 cable, "Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory — Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this Mac." via both McFiver and Titan Ridge USB-C/TB3 ports. I get nothing when using the TB2 cable directly into the TB2 Titan Ridge ports. Unfortunately I do not have any other TB2 accessories to test these ports with.

My (actually Martin Lo's, from here) config.plist is attached.

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 9.45.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 9.45.57 AM.png
    21 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 9.46.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 9.46.54 AM.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 8
  • config.plist.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 7

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I have 3x MacPro 5,1s, all booting Monterey 12.7.1-4 via McFiver cards using OC 0.9.8. One has a flashed Titan Ridge in slot 4 (with USB jumper) and NO 100W power. Confirmed working with using USB-C ports to mount drives so far. I'm trying to make some legacy DIT stations for Arri Alexa XTs which require either an ATTO 608 PCI card and MacFuse (going way back to Mojave or even Catalina), or preferably, the more recent Codex Capture Dock (Thunderbolt). I can successfully use these docks with a M1 MacMini or 2017 Intel MacBook Pro, but we want to use the speed and capacity of these towers to dump footage as fast as possible.

I get the following errors when using an Apple TB3>TB2 adapter and genuine, brand new TB2 cable, "Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory — Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this Mac." via both McFiver and Titan Ridge USB-C/TB3 ports. I get nothing when using the TB2 cable directly into the TB2 Titan Ridge ports. Unfortunately I do not have any other TB2 accessories to test these ports with.

My (actually Martin Lo's, from here) config.plist is attached.

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!
Set false to true under thunderbolt near the top of the config.plist
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Thunderbolt 3</string>
<key>Enabled</key>
<false/> (change to <true/>) save and reboot, you will always need to cold boot and reboot to get thunderbolt peripherals to show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.