Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
I would love nothing more than threaded replies on Messages.app. Like Slack does. It's so overdue. Also would love more features on Messaging. And make it look prettier like Apple Music or something. Looks so dated now.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
An image on Twitter (likely fake)

I'd hate it - this isn't a toy. If this were background I wouldn't buy or take if given for free

DBXSwnIVoAAWWUn.jpg

Imagine if they did this and all icons became 'alive' within a semi-transparent rounded rectangle (allowed to leave the boundaries by a small amount). Would be a massive change.

Also if tilting the phone moved or altered the light on the icons, that would be crazy cool.

I really am expecting no UI changes for iOS 11 (including no dark mode) so as not to be disappointed.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
We should get some form of redesign, or at least I hope so anyway.

iOS1 - iOS3 same design
iOS4 design change - iOS6
iOS7 design change - iOS10

So looking at that, we are overdue a design change if the trend remains the same.
We're not overdue, iOS 10 has design changes.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
IMHO, Apple isn’t brave enough to make sweeping UI changes to iOS proper. They are doing well at the moment, no need to risk that just yet. If they do, I would be very surprised.

Any design changes would probably be more at the app level and within bounds of what we have seen already, such as the Music app.

Reactions: jeffjak25

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Yes, so does every iOS.

I was referring to 'significant' design changes, like a UI overhaul, hence he reason for highlighting the trend of when these significant visual changes happened.
Are you trying to say the changes in iOS 4 are more significant than iOS 10? I disagree, iOS 4 changed the dock, the app open/close animations and added homescreen wallpaper.

iOS 10 redesigned the Control Centre, Notification Centre, Lockscreen (and got rid of slide to unlock), sped up and changed the app open/close animations, redesigned News, Music, Clock and more apps and redesigned notifications themselves.

I mean if iOS 4 counts surely iOS 10 should too.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Are you trying to say the changes in iOS 4 are more significant than iOS 10? I disagree, iOS 4 changed the dock, the app open/close animations and added homescreen wallpaper.

iOS 10 redesigned the Control Centre, Notification Centre, Lockscreen (and got rid of slide to unlock), sped up and changed the app open/close animations, redesigned News, Music, Clock and more apps and redesigned notifications themselves.

I mean if iOS 4 counts surely iOS 10 should too.
Visually, iOS4 made a bigger jump from iOS3, compared to iOS10 from iOS9.

Reactions: GabeBCN

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Endless time?? It takes literally 20 seconds to change that.

Laziness!
[doublepost=1496247029][/doublepost]Why do some people complain about a feature on a phone when it can be easily and quickly changed to accommodate your preferences?

Just moaning for the sake of moaning.

So you must have some special version of iOS or only 2 apps installed, because under Settings/Notifications on mine, I would have to set things individually for hundreds of apps. Not a 20 second job.

[doublepost=1496668704][/doublepost]
That's not really how things work. Default ones are fine for many, and for those that they aren't there are options to change them. To complain that something isn't to ones liking but be unwilling to change the very options that exist specifically to allow someone to make things to their liking is almost paradoxical in a sense.

That said, I don't ever seem to recall my notifications coming up as alerts by default, it's usually banners, so even that doesn't really seem to fit.

The issue is the banners... and they drop down on top of things in mid touch. Apps are constantly launching inadvertently due to this.

And again, unless you have very few apps installed, I would have to set things individually for hundreds of apps in my case.

Why not just have a dedicated area for the banners that does not cover touchable app areas?

littleredwagen

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
A TV\Videos App That works like the original app. That is one of the only things I actually want. I travel a lot and this app annoys the hell out of me

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
So you must have some special version of iOS or only 2 apps installed, because under Settings/Notifications on mine, I would have to set things individually for hundreds of apps. Not a 20 second job.

The issue is the banners... and they drop down on top of things in mid touch. Apps are constantly launching inadvertently due to this.

And again, unless you have very few apps installed, I would have to set things individually for hundreds of apps in my case.

Why not just have a dedicated area for the banners that does not cover touchable app areas?

You only have to change the settings once?
Seriously, I do not understand the problem?

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I’ll just copy my Tweet thread verbatim sans #WWDC:
  • iOS 11 expectations: New design will double down on the new direction we started to see with iOS 10 in Music, Maps, etc. Less flat?
  • The much-’d Files app likely won’t be Finder on iOS, but rather a heavily watered-down version mainly unifying cloud storage apps
  • I can also see Files extending to a local storage solution, bringing a badly needed Downloads button to Safari for iPad.
  • Other big improvements for iPad Pro in tow, including (as we've seen) the Drag and Drop feature for Split View.
  • New UI controls (like the sliding panels in Maps and Music) may be opened up to developers as standard in UIKit.
  • And, of course, major Siri improvements to actually compete with Google Now and Alexa. And deeper sys integration w/ third-party apps.
  • One more: I suspect Apple will bring the interface style trait adaptation from tvOS to iOS. In other words? Dark mode.
That about does it for me.

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
I hope they don't horribly skimp iPhone SE
Well, I have an SE as well, but I'm afraid that iOS 11 will be 3D-touch feature rich, so SE users will miss that at least among other things Apple decides to make you upgrade as always, even though the device is very capable.

I just want redesigned notifications, or at least make them smaller at the top. Besides being ugly (iOS 7 styled were much more elegant), I'm constantly pushing them by accident when using the phone and touching on something at the top, very annoying!

Last edited:

GCHASE1995

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
Well, I have an SE as well, but I'm afraid that iOS 11 will be 3D-touch feature rich, so SE users will miss that at least among other things Apple decides to make you upgrade as always, even though the device is very capable.

I just want redesigned notifications, or at least make them smaller at the top. Besides being ugly (iOS 7 styled were much more elegant), I'm constantly pushing them by accident when using the phone and touching on something at the top, very annoying!

I still haven't gotten use to dragging down notifications to reply in bubbles haha

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Basically have part of the screen that is never usable for anything other than banner notifications when they come in?

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Basically have part of the screen that is never usable for anything other than banner notifications when they come in?

Maybe, or maybe change the HIG standards so that nothing touchable is displayed there by apps... display only.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe, or maybe change the HIG standards so that nothing touchable is displayed there by apps... display only.
That would also minimize the are that can be used, which isn't that good of an experience. I mean I can understand what you are describing as far as what you experience, but at the same time it seems that it's not something that most people experience, or perhaps get adjusted to relatively quickly for it not to be an issue for them--a forum like this one where people complain about occasional few missing animation frame drops almost repeatedly is a pretty good indicator usually as to what type of issues are out there. None of this is to say that you aren't experiencing what you are describing, or that this somehow necessarily changes anything for you, simply that it's fairly likely that in the eyes of Apple their design of alerts and controls that they offer for them are some things that work fairly well for most of their typical userbase.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
So far no:
• dark mode
• swiping on stock keyboard
• group notifications by app
• live apps or placing apps where you'd like
• control center customization.

Hopefully some of those just got skipped over

Last edited:
Reactions: Freakonomics101

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am going to say with 100% certainty that Dark Mode is coming in iOS 11. Unsure if it will be device specific but it is definitely coming.
Doesn't seem like there was any mention or even a reference to dark mode in all the new things that were discussed when it comes to iOS 11.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
As I have predicted for a year now. Dark mode will come with iPhone 8 as an OLED feature only. It only makes sense for an OLED display, not IPS.

Reactions: idrisinan

Askinas

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2014
No new UI :eek:
Y Apple? And no split sceen and Dark Mode. As it is the 10 years whit iOS this is so :(

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
No new UI :eek:
Y Apple? And no split sceen and Dark Mode. As it is the 10 years whit iOS this is so :(
UI gets minor updates every 3 years and major overhaul every 7.

iOS 1-3
iOS 4-6
iOS 7-9
iOS 10-12

Next full overhaul will probably be around iOS 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.