Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I have encountered my first bug in iOS 7 GM after using it for about a week now.

When I went to modify my current greeting in the voice mail section in the phone app, choosing the greeting button caused my phone to freeze for about 5-10 seconds and then abruptly re-spring.

It did this twice and then worked about four times after that, the whole process is intermittent at best right now.

Sad that apple would miss something like this in the GM build. Anyone else experiencing this issue or can replicate it?

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I have encountered my first bug in iOS 7 GM after using it for about a week now.

When I went to modify my current greeting in the voice mail section in the phone app, choosing the greeting button caused my phone to freeze for about 5-10 seconds and then abruptly re-spring.

It did this twice and then worked about four times after that, the whole process is intermittent at best right now.

Sad that apple would miss something like this in the GM build. Anyone else experiencing this issue or can replicate it?

I just tried it and it worked without issue. Did you setup your phone as new or upgrade from iOS 6?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I just tried it and it worked without issue. Did you setup your phone as new or upgrade from iOS 6?

Upgrade and I understand the differences between the two, but everything had been working just fine until I noticed that.

How many times did you try it? And is there any lag at all?

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Upgrade and I understand the differences between the two, but everything had been working just fine until I noticed that.

How many times did you try it? And is there any lag at all?

Twice, no lag. Upgrade from iOS 6 or a beta? I believe upgrading from iOS 6 should not cause any issues since that will be what 90% of the users out there will do.

I hit phone, voicemail, greeting, custom. It says "retrieving greeting" for a second and then I hit record and save. All runs pretty smooth.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Twice, no lag. Upgrade from iOS 6 or a beta? I believe upgrading from iOS 6 should not cause any issues since that will be what 90% of the users out there will do.

I hit phone, voicemail, greeting, custom. It says "retrieving greeting" for a second and then I hit record and save. All runs pretty smooth.

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the info! I upgraded from iOS 6.1.4

Update: I can't get it to re-spring any more, but there's about a 3-4 second lag after clicking it now.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Apples visual voicmail is extrodinarily limited and outdated.. Use youmail or even google voice.. Both are way better.

herestoya

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
My iPhone 5 freezes everytime I go into Voicemail, cannot set up my greeting and cannot get out of page by hitting cancel no response on this page to my touch, HELP!

Perquak

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Go Figure

My iPhone 5 freezes everytime I go into Voicemail, cannot set up my greeting and cannot get out of page by hitting cancel no response on this page to my touch, HELP!

I have the EXACT same problem with my iOS 7 upgraded iPhone 5. However, when I upgraded my wife's iPhone 4 to iOS 7, no problem at all. Go figure. I can quite simply listen to and change my Voicemail Greeting by calling my iPhone number using that iPhone, so I can live with this problem until such time as Apple gets around to fixing it.

herestoya

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Voice mail greeting Freezes in iOS7

That, does not work for me, why does the touch screen not work in the voicemail and if it freezes I get stuck there, I use this all the time so this is a BIG problem, any other suggestions or answers. Also is this a common problem with iOS7?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
[/COLOR]

I have the EXACT same problem with my iOS 7 upgraded iPhone 5. However, when I upgraded my wife's iPhone 4 to iOS 7, no problem at all. Go figure. I can quite simply listen to and change my Voicemail Greeting by calling my iPhone number using that iPhone, so I can live with this problem until such time as Apple gets around to fixing it.

That, does not work for me, why does the touch screen not work in the voicemail and if it freezes I get stuck there, I use this all the time so this is a BIG problem, any other suggestions or answers. Also is this a common problem with iOS7?

Looks like I am not the only one with this problem. You can always push the home button to get out of the phone app and then double click the home button to initiate the multitasking screen, swiping up on the phone app to completely quit of it. That will at least reset the application so you can use it for its other purposes. It is still super annoying nonetheless.

Report this problem to apple and see if it can get addressed in an update.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

PS Welcome to MacRumors

Perquak

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I Fixed It My iPhone

I just fixed the problem on my iPhone. I have Verizon Wireless. I called their Voicemail server and re-recorded my Greeting. After doing so, I can now listen to the Greeting and change it in the iPhone Phone app without an issue.

coastast

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
voicemail greeting bug

I have the same problems. It stays on retrieving greeting for a long time then says fetch greeting failed. When I try and record a greeting in gets stuck on saving greeting. I am with At&t I called in to server and recorded my greeting but it did not fix my problem. :confused: I need to find a fix for this I change my greeting everyday for work. I do not want to have to call in to the server everytime.

Help Please:mad:

Perquak

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I Reported the Bug to Apple

I have the same problems. It stays on retrieving greeting for a long time then says fetch greeting failed. When I try and record a greeting in gets stuck on saving greeting. I am with At&t I called in to server and recorded my greeting but it did not fix my problem. :confused: I need to find a fix for this I change my greeting everyday for work. I do not want to have to call in to the server everytime.

Help Please:mad:

I went to my Apple Store last Saturday, before I corrected my problem, and showed a techie that the Voicemail Greeting screen hangs on playback and record. The techie said that he was unaware of the problem, but having seen it would report it to Apple for a fix in the next iOS 7 update. Hopefully, that will come out soon.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Well , I've had the same problem but up till I found this tread I thought it was a problem with my carrier !

Metropolitan1

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Well , I've had the same problem but up till I found this tread I thought it was a problem with my carrier !

I'm having the same problems... Greeting issues, displaying and playing voicemails, overlapping views of voicemail messages, freezing. Very inconvenient having to close and reopen the app and that still does not correct the problem.
I'm sure there will be a correction update soon.

I'm more interested on the difference between upgrading from ios6 to ios7 verses setting up ios7 as a new phone. What's the difference? Is it simply starting over in case I have internal bugs/ issues with my phone?

Shanghai44

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
No Visual Voicemail/Greeting hobbled

I, as many of you it seems, was an early adopter of ios 7
Upgraded from ios 6 on T-Mobile without incident.

A short while later I began receiving this cryptic alert: Visual Voicemail currently unavailable.
Further inspection revealed the "Greeting" function was crippled" couldn't play it or access it
to change it—the page just locked up. Rest assured, however, all your voice mails are intact—
just not visible.

My first impulse was to side with all the circulating ios 7 bug reports and find fault with Apple.
Half an hour on the phone with T-Mobile support (they were stumped) led nowhere.
Subsequently, independent action revealed (much to my chagrin) the fault was mine.
Mea maxima culpa.

I habitually turn offf Cellular Data in Settings, believing this to extend battery life.
Therein lies the crux of the problem. Cellular Data must be active for Visual Voicemail to
function. It took much digging to arrive at this simple truth, but there it is.
Interestingly, this was the only reference I could find that touched upon this aspect.

I am not offering this as a panacea to all your voicemail ills,
but I do hope some of you may find this, as I have, to be an idiot-simple solution.

You can find the nugget I uncovered here under Check Signal:
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/voicemail/#section_1

jamestom

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
I had the same thing happen. It was preceded with an error about "cannot retreive greeting from server". then my phone locked up on the greeting edit form. it eventually showed a bland (white) screen. I had to reboot my iPhone 4S. My 4G was turned off at the time: may be an important part of reproducing (for Apple support) or avoiding (for us users) the error.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I deleted all my voicemails and reinstalled iOS 7, but restored from an iTunes backup. It does not respiring anymore, but still hangs, very annoying.

I have Sprint, doesn't appear to be carrier specific. Any news would be greatly appreciated.

----------

I just fixed the problem on my iPhone. I have Verizon Wireless. I called their Voicemail server and re-recorded my Greeting. After doing so, I can now listen to the Greeting and change it in the iPhone Phone app without an issue.

I can get to to greeting screen and record a voicemail, but it hangs every single time getting to that point and sometimes crashing the call app in the process.

----------

Still waiting on a solution as well my friend. I may schedule a Genius appointment soon.

burninator

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Changing the voicemail password solved the problem for me.

Settings < Phone < Change Voicemail Password

ipader

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
I had the same exact problem after a clean install of iOS 7 ( iPhone 5). My issue also included not receiving MMS Messages and Group messages. Spoke with 2 Tech support reps at AT&T for over 1 hour yesterday trying everything. Changing the voicemail password did not solve the problem for me. Nothing that they suggested worked. They said a higher level person would call me back within 3 days. They wasted my time, I should have known better.

Well, I couldn't wait 3 days and instead tried the reset "network settings" (settings-general-reset-reset network settings). After a restart, all my missing visual voicemails and messages returned! Success! You will also need to eventually re-enter all you wifi passwords, etc, as the reset will wipe these out.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Changing the voicemail password solved the problem for me.

Settings < Phone < Change Voicemail Password
Did not work for me. Choosing the greeting tab still causes phone to hang, sometimes crashing the phone app.

Well, I couldn't wait 3 days and instead tried the reset "network settings" (settings-general-reset-reset network settings). After a restart, all my missing visual voicemails and messages returned! Success! You will also need to eventually re-enter all you wifi passwords, etc, as the reset will wipe these out.

I think I am about to try this as a last ditch resort. I just don't want to renter critical passwords again that are hard to retrieve for various reasons.

burninator

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
I wish iOS had a keychain system similar to OS X, where the passwords would be stored outside of network settings and therefore not deleted every time this reset has to be done.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I wish iOS had a keychain system similar to OS X, where the passwords would be stored outside of network settings and therefore not deleted every time this reset has to be done.

That'd be awesome! Hope they implement it at one point. I suppose iCloud key chain will be separate from iOS system setting / network passwords.

midmichael

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Resetting my voicemail password and then restarting the phone worked for me.

I have Iphone4, using AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.