Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
I'm so sick of the music app and iTunes management. I've had so many issues with keeping my own damn music on my device. WTH is happening to Apple? I downloaded IOS 8.1 today, I get to the gym and ready to play certain music and its gone. I don't have iTunes match turned on, haven't synced my phone to iTunes in a week but music just randomly disappears. Enough of this crap already. When I first got this iPhone 6 keeping and getting my music on here was a disaster. It seemed to get better with 8.0.2 but now we're back to this *****.

Correction went into my setting and realized apple turned on iTunes match. Really, Apple who gave you the right to start turning on your crappy features that I turned off. WTH? Either way, music still gone!

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm so sick of the music app and iTunes management. I've had so many issues with keeping my own damn music on my device. WTH is happening to Apple? I downloaded IOS 8.1 today, I get to the gym and ready to play certain music and its gone. I don't have iTunes match turned on, haven't synced my phone to iTunes in a week but music just randomly disappears. Enough of this crap already. When I first got this iPhone 6 keeping and getting my music on here was a disaster. It seemed to get better with 8.0.2 but now we're back to this *****.

Settings > Music > is show all music on? If it's off and you turn it on and your songs show up it means you were playing them from the cloud.

For what it's worth the 400 songs I have on my iPhone were still there after I ran the update to 8.1

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
Yes setting is turned on for show all music. It really seems that apple turned on iTunes match when 8.1 was installed which in turned deleted anything that wasn't "matched" by iTunes. Gonna sync to iTunes the old fashioned way when I get home.

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Yes setting is turned on for show all music. It really seems that apple turned on iTunes match when 8.1 was installed which in turned deleted anything that wasn't "matched" by iTunes. Gonna sync to iTunes the old fashioned way when I get home.

Good luck with that. I never had match turned on and I can't get any of my unmatched music onto my iPhone. And I'm still on 8.0.

Huliodude

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Yup I did an OTA update to 8.1 and my music is gone too, iMatch was turned on as well. I turned it off but my music didn't reappear. I will resync with iTune manually and see if the songs go back on. More bugs than I've ever seen with iPhone these days. I'm hoping it all settles down over the next few weeks, or other OS platforms are going to look a lot more appealing.

rowanmmcdonald

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
I had the exact same issue with iOS 8.1 and now it's done it again with iOS 8.1.1.

Can you just sort your **** out apple?! I don't want iTunes Match turned on and my music deleted FFS!

iOS909

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
Since updating most of my album covers have disappeared. The music app has been very buggy for me on iOS 8 and seems to get a little worse each update.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
It's funny, I was just thinking to myself "I'm glad this hasn't happened to me." then I went to play some tunes and sure enough, iTunes Match was on and all my music was gone. I've been running iOS 8 for months and never had this happen, and then it happens within about 5 minutes of reading this topic. Amazing.

epark326

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
ios 8.1.3 Self-Deletes Random Songs from iPhone

I just bought a 16GB iPhone 6 a week ago from today and ever since I got it, random songs have been deleting themselves from my music library. It's so weird. Two of my favorite songs from an album I just purchased last week keep re-deleting themselves, no matter how many times I re-download them. Since I've bought this phone, my music count has gone down from 855 to 709.
It's not only with newer songs, it's also with songs I've owned for quite some time. I checked my settings and iTunes Match isn't turned on. Neither is Show all music, but I don't like to have that turned on because my parents and I share an account and I don't want all of their music on my phone too.
any solutions on how to get this problem to stop?
Thanks.

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
Just chiming in that I'm having a similar problem. It's happened twice so far, and always after I copy new songs to my iPhone. (I haven't had problems after software updates.) I manually manage songs/videos.

This is frustrating. I never had this problem before my current iPhone (6 with iOS 8.1).

This stackexchange thread suggests it's a duplicate issue. I haven't tried finding/deleting duplicates to see if that resolves the issue.

Carnitron

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2015
My music is randomly being deleted as well

I'm new here -- does anyone in Apple keep an eye on these forums?

Just confirming that I'm seeing this as well. iwayne's comments are eerily familiar to me, particularly the part about getting to the gym and finding the music I was going to listen to suddenly gone.

In prior releases, I was having symptoms of the duplicate songs issue mentioned here, where iTunes would start to sync and then just never complete the process. This was quite agonizing and caused me to waste many hours trying different ways to get my music onto my phone in a reliable, repeatable manner.

The latest update seems to have fixed this problem, which is definitely a step forward.

But now some mysterious sequence of events causes iTunes to unceremoniously delete my 3rd party music and any playlists I've made on my phone. All the stuff I've purchases on iTunes remains -- it's just the stuff I've copied to my phone, along with any playlists I've made.

It's also interesting to note that iTunes reports different sizes on my iPhone when it is connected. Sometimes the little bar at the bottom showing usage makes it appear I have very little music, and other times it makes it look like I have a lot of music. It's like two different parts of their internal database are going out of sync or something.

Regardless, I find this whole thing sort of incredible. I just want to copy my music to my phone and listen to it. I don't want Apple's software randomly deleting my stuff. These are not exotic asks.

I have tremendous respect for Apple, but this whole saga has turned me from someone who had become an enthusiastic advocate to someone keeping an eye out for ways to escape the ecosystem. Lucky for them it is hard, given how much I have invested their products... :b

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
I have had this same issue with my iPhone 5s (64GB) at least 3 times now. I will connect my iPhone 5s (8.1.3) to my PC and go to copy a song over to it and the next thing I know all of my mp3 music (some 32GB) has been deleted from my phone and all that is left is the songs purchased from iTunes. I use iTunes 12.1.1.4 (Windows 64bit). I had hoped it was fixed with the latest iTunes update, but it has not. I don't know if this is a iOS issue or iTunes. It might be an issue with iTunes 12.1.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I manually manage music on my iPhone, and the last few weeks the following has been happening to me-

-Sometimes I try to copy music to my iPhone, but the music ends up in gray text in iTunes and is not on my iPhone. I sync, unplug/replug, etc. but I cannot get the music copied over.

-Sometimes music starts disappearing from my iPhone, I go from 5 GB to a small handful of songs. Sometimes a full sync brings back the songs, sometimes it doesn't.

I've read about the duplicate issue, but I don't think that's it for me. I am suspecting some sort of database corruption, and am trying this right now-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3909940

QueenFoster

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2015
I had over 600+ songs on my iphone 6 plus and a week or so after I put it all on, it started deleting. First it was just a few that I was okay with, but now I only have 86, this is seriously pissing me off. This is MY MUSIC. It should not be being deleted. My show all music is on, I've checked everything it said to do on here but my music is just being deleted for no apparent reason to me. I love my phone, but I hate the music situation.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
I had over 600+ songs on my iphone 6 plus and a week or so after I put it all on, it started deleting. First it was just a few that I was okay with, but now I only have 86, this is seriously pissing me off. This is MY MUSIC. It should not be being deleted. My show all music is on, I've checked everything it said to do on here but my music is just being deleted for no apparent reason to me. I love my phone, but I hate the music situation.

Does this happen after you connect your iPhone to your computer and sync with iTunes? What version of iTunes and is it for Mac or Windows? Also, what version of iOS were you running when it last happened?

When it happened to me it would delete all my own mp3 music (over 3,000 songs) but leave the iTunes purchased music on my iPhone. This would happen when I connected my iPhone to my Windows PC and then dragged and dropped some music from my PC to my iPhone via iTunes. It would sync and then suddenly all my music (except for the iTunes purchased musc) would be gone.

The workaround I found that has been working for me for a good while was to set iTunes to "Sync Only Checked Songs and Videos" and then in my iTunes Library check the songs I wanted on my iPhone and then synced.

McFuddlenuts

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2015
oh my glob, it's not just me...I find that after a few days of listening to my entire library on shuffle, I find 8-10 songs that have to be downloaded. Sometimes they are purchased, sometimes it is music that was added from CDs (yeah, I'm old...but I do go to used record stores and buy CDs...$2 for a whole album?? SOLD). There never seems to be any rhyme or reason for what disappears. I used to think it was iTunes and Apple punishing me for not buying music digitally...

jonathan1683

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2011
has anyone figured this out yet ? I use itunes match and ever since I switch to the new firmware it deletes itself before I can even use it. I can see it filling up my phone and then when i go to listen to music I have like 2 songs left. I got a 128GB to not even be able to use it. This sucks!

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
has anyone figured this out yet ? I use itunes match and ever since I switch to the new firmware it deletes itself before I can even use it. I can see it filling up my phone and then when i go to listen to music I have like 2 songs left. I got a 128GB to not even be able to use it. This sucks!

As I posted above in this thread, back when this was happening to me I finally got fed up and changed the setting in iTunes to "Sync only checked songs and videos". After I did that, I never had any issues with disappearing music. I haven't gone back to connecting my iPhone to my PC and manually dragging and dropping music to my iPhone. Whenver I want to add music to my iPhone I just import the music into iTunes and make sure it is checked, then I sync and it gets copied over.

Storm Photographer

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2015
"Restore" worked for me.

So I have iPhone 4s, 64GB. After ios 8 my phone would not sync - not enough memory. Checked forums, adjusted music to selected items sync, not the entire album. Worked for a bit then no sync.

Updated to ios 9 hoping all would be resolved. Nope. In fact soon after in the middle of listening to music it stopped and all of my music plus playlists were gone. Next day they were back (after being wifi connected again) but would not play offline.

Back to forums - trimmed my cookies, voicemail, message history - reduced photo album, reinstalled apps. No luck. So I did a restore. My "Other" items went from 26GBs to 433MBs! It must have been old ios versions, installation files etc. Did via iTunes and lost nothing - notes were maintained and all of my contacts. Even my game scores. So far so good...time to buy some new music!

Last edited:

Gmarsh

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2016

Correction went into my setting and realized apple turned on iTunes match. Really, Apple who gave you the right to start turning on your crappy features that I turned off. WTH? Either way, music still gone!
[doublepost=1455310204][/doublepost]I've had the same problem, especially music I did NOT buy from iTunes. Kinda sick of it. I have a JBL music app I'm going to try.

Reactions: W100degreesNorth

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
[doublepost=1455310204][/doublepost]I've had the same problem, especially music I did NOT buy from iTunes. Kinda sick of it. I have a JBL music app I'm going to try.

Did you change the setting in iTunes to "Sync only checked songs and videos"? That worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.